1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

running different size spare in emergency - help.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by pt law, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Apr 18, 2011 at 9:35 AM
    pt law

pt law [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Concord, NH
    Vehicle:
    04 xtracab 4x4 TRD
    So I have done some searching on the wheel and tire forum and have come across some different answers to my situation:

I got a hell of a deal on four Toyo Open Country A/T's that are 265/75/16, which I mounted on stock rims (I needed tires). The stock spare is 265/70/16.

My question:
    In an emergency can I run the stock spare (1 inch smaller in diameter then the current tires)? I think the answer is in this order:
    1) get a matching spare (I am tight on money but will do eventually)
    2) run the spare only in an emergency on the front axle only and do NOT engage 4wd

Is this true? Will putting the spare on the rear axle damage the spider gears? I have a 1st gen so no limited slip and do not plan on locking the diff if this were to happen.

Thanks.

2. Apr 18, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You'll make due with a smaller spare to get to a place you can repair the tire you have or get a new one.
    Do they have used tire places near you?? I traded my good spare old size for a good spare new size one for one...

3. Apr 18, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!

Did the same thing except traded all five of my tires for one proper size used tire for the spare and recieved some money back.

Products Discussed in

To Top