Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Stock 15" Wheels to OEM 16"?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
Stock 15" Wheels to OEM 16"?

I have the 07 Access Cab (non prerunner) with stock 15" wheels and 70 series tires. I thought I'd be fine with that but they just look too small on the truck.

An option they offered me at the dealership was a 16" alloy wheel with 75 series tires.

This didn't make any since to me without changes to the transmission and PROMM. Anyone done this or know wha this would entail?
Old 05-16-2007, 04:44 AM   #2
Panama Red is on a distinguished road
Panama Red's Tacoma Gallery
You can purchase a small aftermarket controller that "recalibrates" your ECU to correct your odometer and automatic transmission when you go to larger wheels/tires. You can buy it for under $200.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Interesting... Is it a permanant install or just used for a one time reprogram?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Performance Products sells two different items. The first is SuperLift TruSpeed Signal Calibrator and the second is JET Accu-Speed. They hook inline between the transmission and the speedometer, so I would say that they are permanent as long as you have different size wheels/tires.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:19 PM   #5

Awesome, thanks for the info!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
When you upgrade to larger wheels/tires, you also need to keep in mind that you are changing the gearing/accelleration of your truck (differential area). You will theroetically get better milage, but at the expense of slower accelleration because of the taller gearing and greater wheel/tire weight. You also have to take into account that since your new wheels/tires also weight more, you have additional unsprung weight that your suspension has to handle. And last of all, depending on your new wheels/tires, how will this effect your ABS system too, since this is tied into the wheels/tires rotation.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:50 AM   #7

Yeah I thought about all of that, I think I need to call Toyota.

I don't know why they would offer those wheels / tires as an option if they didn't have a way to adjust all of that.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:09 PM   #8
dholland is on a distinguished road
dholland's Tacoma Gallery
any decent mechanic can adjust the gear ratio etc. to accomodate larger wheels/tires. toyota probably would have given the truck over to the mechanic to adjust for the new wheels/tires before you drove the truck off the lot...