Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Running A Spacer on One Wheel

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Running A Spacer on One Wheel

I've got a question for the wheel gurus. Is it okay to run a thin wheel spacer on only one wheel?

Here's my situation:
My truck was recently in an accident and the driver's side front wheel was cracked. The insurance company is only paying to replace the damaged wheel. The wheels on my truck are 15x7 Eagle Alloys Series 146. The problem is that the specific wheel model number hasn't been made in three years or so and they are hard to find. Eagle Alloy had one left in the country but it was a "display model". I had the body shop get the wheel and it came in last week. So I hear today from the body shop that this wheel rubs the brake caliper when it's mounted. Like the backspacing/offset is not perfect. The solution they are proposing is to use a thin spacer (1/8"-1/4") so that it won't hit the caliper. They claim that this will not cause any long term problems and it will ride like before. According to the lady at the body shop this isn't that uncommon with aftermarket wheels. Eagle Alloy won't claim that the wheel is defective without it being returned to them and then inspected by their people. I don't like the idea of running the spacer, but my only other option is to buy a new set of wheels which I was hoping I wouldn't have to do and prolongs my truck being in the shop.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
sgeezy is on a distinguished road
Name: Shelton
sgeezy's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see the problem with running a wheel spacer on only one wheel. Your best bet would be to measure the difference on that one wheel compared to the others and space it accordingly so that, that specific wheel has an equal backspacing as the others.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
I've got a question for the wheel gurus. Is it okay to run a thin wheel spacer on only one wheel?

Here's my situation:
My truck was recently in an accident and the driver's side front wheel was cracked. The insurance company is only paying to replace the damaged wheel. The wheels on my truck are 15x7 Eagle Alloys Series 146. The problem is that the specific wheel model number hasn't been made in three years or so and they are hard to find. Eagle Alloy had one left in the country but it was a "display model". I had the body shop get the wheel and it came in last week. So I hear today from the body shop that this wheel rubs the brake caliper when it's mounted. Like the backspacing/offset is not perfect. The solution they are proposing is to use a thin spacer (1/8"-1/4") so that it won't hit the caliper. They claim that this will not cause any long term problems and it will ride like before. According to the lady at the body shop this isn't that uncommon with aftermarket wheels. Eagle Alloy won't claim that the wheel is defective without it being returned to them and then inspected by their people. I don't like the idea of running the spacer, but my only other option is to buy a new set of wheels which I was hoping I wouldn't have to do and prolongs my truck being in the shop.
Not an expert on this, and don't really have any specific reasons, but I would never run a wheel spacer on one wheel. I would also be concerned that the one wheel you have is off in more ways than just that if none of your others rub the caliper. something is just not right.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
No, just shave the caliper
Old 04-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS 2 TiFJ View Post
Not an expert on this, and don't really have any specific reasons, but I would never run a wheel spacer on one wheel. I would also be concerned that the one wheel you have is off in more ways than just that if none of your others rub the caliper. something is just not right.
That's what my gut is telling me. I don't know if anything is really wrong with running one spacer but it just seems kind of sketchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkrider101 View Post
No, just shave the caliper
I suggested that and the body shop was very adamant that they will not do that.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i would get in touch with the insurance co. and explain what is going on, that you CAN NOT get a direct replacement rim that works and hopefully they will get you 4 new rims
Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
It shouldn't hurt anything. With that small of a spacer, you will not be changing the geometry enough to ever notice. But why not just put a small spacer on the other side to even it out?
Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM   #8

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
i would get in touch with the insurance co. and explain what is going on, that you CAN NOT get a direct replacement rim that works and hopefully they will get you 4 new rims
I asked the shop about that early on because they hadn't found a replacement wheel yet and were afraid that they wouldn't be able to find one. According to the body shop the insurance company will only pay to replace the damaged wheel and not an entire set. However the amount the wheel is valued at can be applied to a new set of wheels.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
The Eagle 146's are side-specific?!

good point cant you put the new wheel on the rear or try the other side
Old 04-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
try this maybe?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...e-caliper.html
Old 04-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #12
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
besides the toyota lugs are pretty damn short to begin with. you would lose another 1/4" of thread bite if you use a spacer like that.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #13
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRS 2 TiFJ View Post
besides the toyota lugs are pretty damn short to begin with. you would lose another 1/4" of thread bite if you use a spacer like that.
Shameless plug

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...t-what-do.html

I'm not buying this side-specific thing. How are you supposed to rotate your tires if your wheels are side specific? What is different on the hubs/calipers on each side of the truck that would make having a side-specific wheel necessary? Why aren't all other wheels that fit tacomas side-specific if these need to be?
Old 04-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #14

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The Eagle 146's are side-specific?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
good point cant you put the new wheel on the rear or try the other side
You're right they're not side specific. It can go on the front or rear either side. If they put it on the rear then when the tires are rotated it will go up front. The spacer will have to travel with it so that it clears the caliper.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #15

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Shameless plug

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...t-what-do.html

I'm not buying this side-specific thing. How are you supposed to rotate your tires if your wheels are side specific? What is different on the hubs/calipers on each side of the truck that would make having a side-specific wheel necessary? Why aren't all other wheels that fit tacomas side-specific if these need to be?

Good plug. I already run E/T lug nuts so that the wheels are get centered on the hubs.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #16
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by afd23a View Post
You're right they're not side specific. It can go on the front or rear either side. If they put it on the rear then when the tires are rotated it will go up front. The spacer will have to travel with it so that it clears the caliper.
I guess I'm confused as to why one wheel would need a spacer but the others did not
Old 04-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
Sigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to beholdSigi is a splendid one to behold
Name: Sigi
Sigi's Tacoma Gallery
Have the insurance buy you a whole new set of wheels!! tell them your wheel never had a spacer or the caliper shaved and still want it that way.. Thats why you pay them every month.. have them keep the 3 old ones. Thats what i would do.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #18

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I guess I'm confused as to why one wheel would need a spacer but the others did not
It's because the replacement is out of spec. It's the same model number as the originals but it sounds like the offset is different.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #19

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacotrd View Post
Have the insurance buy you a whole new set of wheels!! tell them your wheel never had a spacer or the caliper shaved and still want it that way.. Thats why you pay them every month.. have them keep the 3 old ones. Thats what i would do.
Tried a little while ago. They aren't budging. It's the other driver's insurance that's paying in the end so I guess my insurance is afraid of not getting paid for the other three rims.

I'm going to try this again tomorrow morning.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:47 AM   #20
David Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid Tarantino is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David Tarantino's Tacoma Gallery
did you have them try the stock wheels to see if it hits if you have them or have them try that wheel on the r/f to see if it hits on the caliper
sounds like somthing else may be wrong if its the same wheel as the rest