Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Shopping for wheels!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2011, 08:34 PM   #1
bad magik is on a distinguished road

bad magik's Tacoma Gallery
Shopping for wheels!

I have a 2004 Tacoma 4WD with a Toytech 3" lift. I've been looking around for some new rims and have kinda decided on the American Eagle 185's. They are 15" wheels with -30mm offset. Not sure of the backspacing. Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion on these wheels? and will they fit on my truck?
Old 05-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad magik View Post
I have a 2004 Tacoma 4WD with a Toytech 3" lift. I've been looking around for some new rims and have kinda decided on the American Eagle 185's. They are 15" wheels with -30mm offset. Not sure of the backspacing. Does anyone have any knowledge or opinion on these wheels? and will they fit on my truck?
How wide are they? You can calculate backspacing, but you need both offset AND rim width to do so.

And whether it fits or not is going to be highly dependent on what size tires you want to run...
Old 05-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #3

The rims I'm looking at are 15 x 8's. Would also love to run 33 inch tires but I've heard that 32's are all you can run with a 3" lift and that 33's would require some trimming. How extensive is the trimming? If it's just plastic inside the fender well I might consider it but exterior metal or part of the chassis would probably make me stick to the 32's.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad magik View Post
The rims I'm looking at are 15 x 8's. Would also love to run 33 inch tires but I've heard that 32's are all you can run with a 3" lift and that 33's would require some trimming. How extensive is the trimming? If it's just plastic inside the fender well I might consider it but exterior metal or part of the chassis would probably make me stick to the 32's.
That's approx 3.25" backspacing. Stock is 4.5" for first gens. I'm not sure of how much trimming would be involved for those specs so I'll let someone with a first gen chime in.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #5

Will a set of 32 x 11.50's on the 15 x 8's with the -30mm OS and 3.25" BS stick out too far or rub on my 04 Tacoma with a 3" lift? Wouldn't mind them sticking out a little just nothing extreme. Am I right to figure 2.25" further than the stock 15 x 7's with 4.5" BS ?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
LT Chase Truck
mikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shedmikesdoublecab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mohawk Mike
mikesdoublecab's Tacoma Gallery
those wheels are 3.25" backspace in 15s...

with a tire wider than 10" you may end up with quite a bit of rub from the outer sidewall on the pinch weld and the front bumper, even with a 3" front lift...

if you have the stock sidesteps, you will get some rub but nothing too annoying and likely only on full lock and articulation...

im have long travel at 4" over per side, and at 3.625" backspace, i get slight rub on the stock sidesteps at full turn and articulation...

3.25" is quite a bit of backspace and with 33s, your truck could end up looking like a skateboard...

the 16x8 is 4" backspace which is perfect with 33s (285-75-16 or 305-70-16)
Old 05-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesdoublecab View Post
...your truck could end up looking like a skateboard...