View Poll Results: What size
265/70/17 32 39.51%
265/65/17 9 11.11%
285/70/17 and wait for the lift 30 37.04%
Run 4 doughnut tires/rims 10 12.35%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordan
maxpower29's Tacoma Gallery
Tire size poll

So I bought a used set of 17" sport rims (thanks to "anestect")
And Im wondering what I should do. I have read about the largest tire I can fit, a 265/70/r17, but I find fuel mileage very important too. So what tires would you buy, heres my truck

stock suspension (will be doing the 5100/AAL sometime soon though)
Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
If it was my truck, I would stick with 265s for the 4-banger. If you're absolutely getting a lift though, then 285s look way better on a lift big enough to fit. I'm surprised you like the 17" sports more than the 16" ORs, but to each his own. I definitely like the ORs better.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
maxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxpower29 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
If it was my truck, I would stick with 265s for the 4-banger. If you're absolutely getting a lift though, then 285s look way better on a lift big enough to fit. I'm surprised you like the 17" sports more than the 16" ORs, but to each his own. I definitely like the ORs better.
They just look too small and I want to have mint look like a clean TRD
Old 05-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
I would rathet have more tire than rim any day of the week.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
well ya, but at the end of the day I will be buying larger tires anyway
Old 05-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I clicked 265/65 before I read what you wanted to know, but I would get 265/70/17
Old 05-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
x10000000

And I voted to wait for 285s and lift...save your money
Old 05-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
x10000000

And I voted to wait for 285s and lift...save your money
Im worried about the loss of power and mpg with the lift and tires though, thats why I have not bought it yet
Old 05-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have 5" of lift and 33" tires and get 24-25 mpg.

Honestly its not so much the lift and tires that drops the mileage, its how you drive the truck.

If you planning on a lift and all, IMHO I would sell these rims and get a set of wheels that have the specs you need in order to run 33" tires with a 3" lift. I would shop for 16x8 rims with 4.5" backspacing. That way IF you plan on running 33" in the future your not going to having issues with clearance and rubbing THEN having to spend money all over again to have it done right.

Oh and something else to take into account, when you lift the front the tires will get sucked in so with the factory backspacing the look might not be what your looking for as the tires will be sucked in the fender instead of flush.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #10

Quote:
I have 5" of lift and 33" tires and get 24-25 mpg.

Honestly its not so much the lift and tires that drops the mileage, its how you drive the truck.

If you planning on a lift and all, IMHO I would sell these rims and get a set of wheels that have the specs you need in order to run 33" tires with a 3" lift. I would shop for 16x8 rims with 4.5" backspacing. That way IF you plan on running 33" in the future your not going to having issues with clearance and rubbing THEN having to spend money all over again to have it done right.

Oh and something else to take into account, when you lift the front the tires will get sucked in so with the factory backspacing the look might not be what your looking for as the tires will be sucked in the fender instead of flush.
For all these reasons, thats why I bought the sport rims. I wanted something a tad bigger and nicer, but not have to worry about lifting right now. Im too green to lift it yet, so Im holding out. Im leaning towards the 265 70 17's. Not a bad price, look half decent on stock, and are better then the shitty dunlop ones that are stock on the 16's
Old 05-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
Almost there

Oh ok, I thought you were also talking about getting a lift soon so thats why I said what I said.

If your just looking for tires and looking to keep mileage up 265/65/17
Old 05-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
GWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the rough
Name: justin
GWL's Tacoma Gallery
i had the 265/70/17's in a MT when i had the same truck as you and same rims. never noticed the power loss till i went to sell the truck and put stockers back on with michelin ltx m/s. I was constantly downshifting going up hills with the mudders
Attached Thumbnails
Tire size poll-swb5.jpg   Tire size poll-swb1.jpg  
Old 05-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWL View Post
i had the 265/70/17's in a MT when i had the same truck as you and same rims. never noticed the power loss till i went to sell the truck and put stockers back on with michelin ltx m/s. I was constantly downshifting going up hills with the mudders
Where did you pick them up and how much? Look like a perfect size for now
Old 05-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Go with 265/70/17 and take into consideration tire weight and make sure load range c. Like mentioned above an MT or load E will be heavy and lower pep and mpgs. Stick with All Terrain, even though more aggressive look will be tempting.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:50 AM   #15
GWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the roughGWL is a jewel in the rough
Name: justin
GWL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower29 View Post
Where did you pick them up and how much? Look like a perfect size for now
Atlantic tire on main street, I believe they were just over a thousand. Those were my 3rd set of firestone destination M/T, I keep buying them because they barely wear at all. Just ordered a set of 285's for my 4runner. it was cheaper to get the 285's as opposed to the 265/70/17 because i went back to a 16 inch rim. Either way it's a mean lookin tire and works great
Old 05-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #16
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
285s in a AT not MT shouldn't kill your mpg too bad.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #17
When all else fails read the directions
joerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoerussell610 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 18F-5th SFG
Name: Him
joerussell610's Tacoma Gallery
265/70/17-dueler revos 84,000 miles on them and still half tread left and she gets driven hard.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerussell610 View Post
265/70/17-dueler revos 84,000 miles on them and still half tread left and she gets driven hard.
Are those the dueler RVT's? Thats what Im thinking about getting. Had them on my old truck
Old 05-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #19
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerussell610 View Post
Yeah Revos are awesome. Had em on our Sequoia and great all around tire.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #20
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
you forgot to include the most kickass tire size for our trucks. 275 70 17.