sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
New Tires...Unusual Rubbing

Details for Front End:
5100's @ 0 w/OME 884 Coils; LR UCA's
Rear End"
5100's w/TSB and 1.5" AAL
Wheels/Tires:
MotoMetal 955 w/ BFG TA KO @ 275/70/17

Alignement is still being adjusted, first place didn't quite get it right, taking to dealer to get it correct and do a look over of installed components.

Issue is the front left tire rubs the lower front fender in reverse (see pic). Used to rub on the mud flaps (removed since), BUT never rubbed the right front in reverse..only on the drivers side.

Anybody else heard of this, or know why only on one side?
Attached Thumbnails
New Tires...Unusual Rubbing-dscf0674.jpg  
Old 05-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
BackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to behold
Name: Adam
BackwoodsBoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e View Post
Details for Front End:
5100's @ 0 w/OME 884 Coils; LR UCA's
Rear End"
5100's w/TSB and 1.5" AAL
Wheels/Tires:
MotoMetal 955 w/ BFG TA KO @ 275/70/17

Alignement is still being adjusted, first place didn't quite get it right, taking to dealer to get it correct and do a look over of installed components.

Issue is the front left tire rubs the lower front fender in reverse (see pic). Used to rub on the mud flaps (removed since), BUT never rubbed the right front in reverse..only on the drivers side.

Anybody else heard of this, or know why only on one side?
I installed a set of new tires about 3 weeks ago and put on different wheels (xd addicts 17x9) and had the same rubbing problems... but i just took a grinder and cut a few small pieces out to get them to clear
Old 05-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
sac130e is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Retired
Name: Scott
sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackwoodsBoy View Post
I installed a set of new tires about 3 weeks ago and put on different wheels (xd addicts 17x9) and had the same rubbing problems... but i just took a grinder and cut a few small pieces out to get them to clear
Main reason I went with 275's instead of 285 was to avoid rubbing/cutting problems. Just seems odd to only happen on the driver's side and not on both sides.

Thx
Old 05-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
Go Pro Junkie
Toy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy Yoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Garrett
Toy Yoda's Tacoma Gallery
would the "taco lean" of the truck affect the rubbing since it might be a little lower?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
elgin is on a distinguished road

Name: Ian
elgin's Tacoma Gallery
its only on the left side (drivers) because the tacoma's lean to that side, get a 3/8" top plate spacer on that side and it will probably fix the rubbing.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
BackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to beholdBackwoodsBoy is a splendid one to behold
Name: Adam
BackwoodsBoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin View Post
its only on the left side (drivers) because the tacoma's lean to that side, get a 3/8" top plate spacer on that side and it will probably fix the rubbing.
Still cheaper to jus do a little trimming... just my opinion
Old 05-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Wont it still rub under compression when turning?
Old 05-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #8
Reaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: P3 Flight Engineer / 737 Crew Chief
Name: Brandon
Reaper10's Tacoma Gallery
I threw on a set of XD revolvers in 17x9 and had the same rub. It's the back spacing of the wheels...A box cutter will go right through that thin plastic, I had to trim mine as well in the same place.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #9

sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Yoda View Post
would the "taco lean" of the truck affect the rubbing since it might be a little lower?
I installed the 1/4" spacer from Toytec to get rid of the taco lean.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #10

sac130e's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper10 View Post
I threw on a set of XD revolvers in 17x9 and had the same rub. It's the back spacing of the wheels...A box cutter will go right through that thin plastic, I had to trim mine as well in the same place.
I hear you, just hate cutting the actual fender for this. Since the local tire shop did not touch the UCA's during alignment (another issue all together), I will see what the dealer gets when they do the alignment correctly. maybe alittle adjustment will get rid of some or all of the rub.

Thx