1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 sidewall

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by pos3idon, May 7, 2011.

1. May 7, 2011 at 2:28 PM
    pos3idon

pos3idon [OP] Active Member

Member:
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    12 Volt outlet in bed, Leer Topper, UltraGauge, second battery
    Today I ran over a nail and since the puncture is so close to the side wall I need to purchase a new tire (My truck and tires have 6,000 miles on them) however when I was inspecting the other tires I noticed that they all have (in different locations) a slight (but very pronounced) indent that you only really notice when you run your hand around the sidewall of the tire.

Now I read on here that this is a result of the manufacturing process however some tires have 1 indent and some have 2 also the spare that was up under the truck has several very pronounced indents (that are very obvious just from looking at it) as a result of being pushed up against the frame of the truck so tightly at the factory. (I checked the tires on the other trucks at my house and none of them seem to have these indents on their tires)

Do I need to replace these tires because of the indents in the sidewall? I'm getting ready to go on a 16,000 mile road trip; I checked on the Dunlop website and they said these tires were good for 60,000 miles (which I highly doubt) but figured they'd be at least good till I got back from my trip. Now I'm not so sure. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

2. May 7, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    Welcome to TW from TX.

You should be fine with those indents as long as they don't compromise the structure of the tire significantly. It is just from being pushed up tight on something for a while. Could be from sitting still on the lot for a while or something like that. But check them well I am just commenting on your post and can't see them. Maybe post a pic if you can ge the light to show it.

Products Discussed in

To Top