1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did your Duratrac's feel spongy at first?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by DCW, May 7, 2011.

1. May 8, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Well if you're running 30 PSI I can't think of any tire that won't feel spongy. I'm running 38 psi because I live in the hills. There is no spongy or body roll feeling whatsoever. The ride is GREAT.

2. May 9, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Softer rubber from being Winter rated. Deeper tread depth and large seperate tread blocks will give it a spongy feeling.

I've heard of them being like that, and even my Mickey Thompsons felt like that going from BFG ATs.

3. May 9, 2011 at 7:46 AM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Whats a chaulk test?

Haven't heard that term before

4. May 9, 2011 at 7:58 AM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    Probably experiencing some "tread squirm" with aggressive widely spaced lugs you will feel some floating with even small steering corrections and this will diminish after the first 6 to 12 months.
    Also, my 265-75-16 DTs returned awful mpgs throughout the first summer and dropped from 21.5 with worn out 245 HTs to 17ish. Now with a year and 10k on em I've gotten 20.1 out of the last two tanks with warmer weather/ambient temps.
    Chalk line test: draw a line across tread at given pressure and drive a bit hop out and look where line is wearing. If only worn along outer part of tread = pressure too low. If chalk rubs off on center of line first = too high. Also I've used masking tape.

I run mine at 38 rear and 40 front for acceptable chalk test/footprint and maximum mpgs. Downside is definitely jitterier ride and skiddish behavior with hard braking. Air down to 22 to 25 psi for trails and grips and climbs like a champ.

Products Discussed in

To Top