255/85 R16 Owners Experience

View Poll Results: 255/85 R16's?
My tire of choice has worked great in all conditions 7 58.33%
Ran em but didn't work for me, went wider and am happy I did. 2 16.67%
Ran wide before now run the skinnies and am much happier 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2014, 03:57 AM   #2221
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by berk View Post
My understanding of offset and backspace makes that combination impossible. Wouldn't an 4.5" backspace in a 7.5" rim make around 20mm offset?
It's what they are?

http://www.toyotaracing.com/trd/part...categories=all

Matt
Old 07-31-2014, 05:58 AM   #2222
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't do the math yet so not sure what is right, but offset and backspacing can be a little screwy because of the lip of the wheel. An 8" wheel with 4.5" BS will have a 0mm offset (ie it is centered on the wheel) which seems counter intuitive because 4" is half of 8. Well they measure off the lip of the wheel and wheel have 1/2" lips so an 8" wheel will actually measue 9" wide from lip to lip.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:20 AM   #2223
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My understanding of offset and backspace makes that combination impossible. Wouldn't an 4.5" backspace in a 7.5" rim make around 20mm offset?
This is what I got...

7.5" wide has a centerline of 3.75"

Centerline - backspace = offset

3.75" - 4.5" = -.75" (-19.05mm)
Old 07-31-2014, 12:01 PM   #2224
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
This is what I got...

7.5" wide has a centerline of 3.75"

Centerline - backspace = offset

3.75" - 4.5" = -.75" (-19.05mm)
Except that a 7.5" wheel has a 4.25" centerline. That is why your numbers don't work out. Offset and BS are measured off of the outside of lip of the wheel which adds an extra 1/2" to each side of the wheel. I assume wheel width is measured off the inside of the lip of the wheel so there is a 1" discrepancy there (ie a 7.5" wheel is really an 8.5" wheel when calculating offset and BS).

And I believe it is backspace - centerline = offset

The calculator I used said that a 7.5" wheel with a 4.5" BS has a +0.25" offset ( about +6mm)
Old 07-31-2014, 05:38 PM   #2225
13Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
13Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
Next time you can just take the mileage on the dash odometer and multiply it by 1.09 and that should give you the correct mileage (approximate). From the numbers you provided it seems your odometer is off by around 8-9 %.
Thanks, I will try that next time and see what I get..
Old 08-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #2226
snowmanwithahat is on a distinguished road
snowmanwithahat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Yeah those are it... 10mm offset

How do these tires work with these wheels? I have the wheels and came with 265 sized tires stock. I was wondering if the 255s seem too narrow for a wheel this wide.

Do you have any rubbing as a result of these tires on these wheels? Looks like 3" lift on that DC?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #2227
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat View Post
Yeah those are it... 10mm offset

How do these tires work with these wheels? I have the wheels and came with 265 sized tires stock. I was wondering if the 255s seem too narrow for a wheel this wide.

Do you have any rubbing as a result of these tires on these wheels? Looks like 3" lift on that DC?
255's are rated up to a 8.5" wheel so the TX wheels (7.5") are just fine. No rubbing, and I'm sitting at about 2" of lift in the front.

Matt
Old 08-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #2228
berk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of light
berk's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, thanks, ya wheel lip is the difference.

FYI I just ordered toyo mt in 255/85 for 203$ea on ebay, free ship. I've been running this tire in 285 and it's really nice tire. Can't wait to try the thinner version.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #2229
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
255's are rated up to a 8.5" wheel so the TX wheels (7.5") are just fine. No rubbing, and I'm sitting at about 2" of lift in the front.

Matt
Up to an 8" rim width.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #2230
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Ah, thanks, ya wheel lip is the difference.

FYI I just ordered toyo mt in 255/85 for 203$ea on ebay, free ship. I've been running this tire in 285 and it's really nice tire. Can't wait to try the thinner version.
Should be real nice. The Toyo M/T are heavy tires in 285/75 so a bit lighter in 255/85 shouls be a great match for our Taco's. They have a great look too.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #2231

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
Up to an 8" rim width.
Touche

Matt
Old 08-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #2232
berk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of lightberk is a glorious beacon of light
berk's Tacoma Gallery
Okay well I jumped on the 255/85 bandwagon today, replacing my 285/75 toyo MT with 255/85 toyo MT. I chose the same tire as I was VERY pleased with the performance of this tire both on and off road. Silky smooth and long lasting.

Initial impression of new size is that it's going to take getting use to driving them! They feel MUCH different than the 285's. Like the steering wheel is wandering more and turning takes what seems like twice as much steering than with the 285's. Strange I know? I'm pleased to see them on my wheels though, which are 8"W and 4.875" backspaced. Sucked in the stance about an inch all around and looks hot. The tire has a sort of flat appearance due to the wide rims, but the rim is not exposed and I think it makes them look very tough. I don't care if my rims get chewed a bit anyway. Take a look!
Attached Thumbnails
255/85 R16 Owners Experience-image.jpg  
Old 08-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #2233
berk's Tacoma Gallery
This shows the tuck factor on an 8" rim which I found to be hard info to find during my research.
Attached Thumbnails
Old 08-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #2234
berk's Tacoma Gallery
I also went ahead and slapped a full size spare under the rear deck and I'm a tad disappointed in how it seems to reveal downward. I would've never attempted with the 285 but my thought was that these are basically same width as stock. Well, they are a bit wider, and a whole lot bigger, and the combination makes it sorta stick out. Good for in the outback but I may keep my stock spare for most times I'm thinking
Attached Thumbnails
Old 08-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #2235

Firefighter:
Quote:
I also went ahead and slapped a full size spare under the rear deck and I'm a tad disappointed in how it seems to reveal downward. I would've never attempted with the 285 but my thought was that these are basically same width as stock. Well, they are a bit wider, and a whole lot bigger, and the combination makes it sorta stick out. Good for in the outback but I may keep my stock spare for most times I'm thinking
Did you have 245's before? If you had 265's, then your 255's will, by default, be skinnier.

Matt
Old 08-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #2236
berk's Tacoma Gallery
I had 285's but I had a stock spare, and I think it's a 245?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #2237

Firefighter:
Quote:
I had 285's but I had a stock spare, and I think it's a 245?
Then it would be wider, causing it to hang just a little lower than the stock spare.

You can get a Tiregate, mount the tire in the bed, or get a rear bumper with swingout if you want to get it out from under the bed.

Matt
Old 08-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #2238
berk's Tacoma Gallery
I don't want it anywhere else.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #2239
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't want it anywhere else.

Did you check out the thread about fitting a 33" tire in that location ? There is a bit of work to do to get it to fit up in mya
Old 08-09-2014, 12:09 AM   #2240
berk's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I read several, and I did the work, and then some. I have it up as far as it will go without major mods. I'll probably felt used to it. Just a shame to lose departure angle over that's all.