255/85 R16 Owners Experience

View Poll Results: 255/85 R16's?
My tire of choice has worked great in all conditions 7 58.33%
Ran em but didn't work for me, went wider and am happy I did. 2 16.67%
Ran wide before now run the skinnies and am much happier 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #301
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
^^ See, 2 sets of tires=more money
Old 02-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #302
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anethema View Post
^^ See, 2 sets of tires=more money

lol

The tires don't wear faster because you have 2 sets. Your not wasting money. 2 sets of tires last twice as long and while they cost more Ill put my AT's up against MT's any day and bet I get more miles out of them.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #303
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sorry I meant more money up front. Ya same ish money in the long run, but more work

I had general grabber at2 which is a clone of bfg AT, and my KM2s are better on the road in adverse conditions as well. The KM2s are essentially impossible to hydroplane, they are better in every winter condition now that I've siped them (not fair I know I could have siped the ATs) but even without siping they are better on everything but actual sheer ice.

And you don't have to change tires to go offroad. So just siping a pair of KM2s and going everywhere with em is still my vote.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #304
BillJC is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
Decided on the KM2's. The local tire shop actually had a set in stock in a 255. Couldn't be happier! They are not any louder than an AT and due to the taller size, I shouldn't have too much of an effect at the pump. I have to make a point in saying though, if the AT's came in that size, I would have bought them. My decision was mostly based on the size and it's advantage off road. The fact that the KM2 is the only tire that BFG makes in that size is what lead me to them. I only have about 150 miles on them and have been really pleased so far. I haven't had a chance to take them off road yet and probably won't till the end of the month, but from what I have read, I should be pleased with their performance. I'll post pics later as I'm on my phone now at work. Thanks again everyone for helping me make the decision.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #305

Ya a 255/85R16 AT would kick ass as well. It would be hard to decide between the two if they made that size.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #306
BillJC is on a distinguished road

Name: Bill
BillJC's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a pic from work today. Getting in and out has taken some getting used to. Definitely fills out the wheel wells better than the stock tires! The angle makes it look like there is no rake, but there actually is. 884's and Toytec spacers up front and Icon 3 leafs out back with 5100's.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #307
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
anybody ever run the 33x10.5-16 interco tsl radial? it measures out to 32.7 tall with a 7.9 wide tread. with the centre tread siped these might be nice. a bit shorter than than most 255's but a bit wider tread but not wide like a 285..
Sounds about the same size as my 275/70/17 Hankook ATm's
Old 02-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #308
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
I've been debating the same as others here. I would like to go to the 255/85 R16 size but would prefer an aggressive AT like the Duratracs since it's my daily driver. I checked every tire manufacturer I could think of and put together a list of tires available in this size. Also included 33x10.5x16 since that's pretty close. Are there any others?

255/85R16
- BFGoodrich T/A KM2
- Cooper Discoverer S/T

- Interco TrXus MT

- Interco TSL Thornbird

- Maxxis M8090 Creepy Crawler

- Maxxis MA-761 Bravo Series

- Maxxis MT-762 Bighorn

- Toyo Open Country M/T

- Toyo M-55

33x10.5x16

- Interco SS-M16

- Interco TSL Bogger

- Interco TSL Radial
Old 02-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #309
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmaaron View Post
I've been debating the same as others here. I would like to go to the 255/85 R16 size but would prefer an aggressive AT like the Duratracs since it's my daily driver. I checked every tire manufacturer I could think of and put together a list of tires available in this size. Also included 33x10.5x16 since that's pretty close. Are there any others?

255/85R16
- BFGoodrich T/A KM2
- Cooper Discoverer S/T

- Interco TrXus MT

- Interco TSL Thornbird

- Maxxis M8090 Creepy Crawler

- Maxxis MA-761 Bravo Series

- Maxxis MT-762 Bighorn

- Toyo Open Country M/T

- Toyo M-55

33x10.5x16

- Interco SS-M16

- Interco TSL Bogger

- Interco TSL Radial

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...5-85-16-a.html
Old 02-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #310
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Son of bitch, I searched for a thread like that, I swear.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #311

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Son of bitch, I searched for a thread like that, I swear.
No prob
Old 02-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #312
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
I must say I do like the KM2s. Took them for a swim, no problems.

http://youtu.be/EUPOZD-lEnM

Took them on the first trail run, no problems. I should have aired down for the trail run just for comfort reasons, never ran into any traction problems. Without the 3" lift & the 33" tires I would have done a nose stand. I came very close to planting the front bumper & then dragging the rear. I should have stopped to take a picture.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:23 AM   #313

Got mine mounted up this past weekend. 255/85R16 KM2's
So far so good. Haven't noticed much of a power difference with the 3.4L V6 and manual transmission. Steering feels a little "softer" on tight turns but after two days I already barely notice it any more.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #314

That looks great ^^
Old 03-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #315
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
These tires don't make your house smell good when you have 5 of them in your living room....that's my owners experience so far

I think I lost 1/2 my brain cells from the off gases
Old 03-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
These tires don't make your house smell good when you have 5 of them in your living room....that's my owners experience so far

What about the paint fumes that are also in your house?
Old 03-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #317
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What about the paint fumes that are also in your house?

well that doesn't help either.

good weather = windows open
Old 03-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #318
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post

Ah I remember the single life and being able to do stuff like this. My first apartment had milk crates and I took the toolbox off my truck for a coffee table
Old 03-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #319
DarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to behold

Name: Clark
DarkShark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Got mine mounted up this past weekend. 255/85R16 KM2's
So far so good. Haven't noticed much of a power difference with the 3.4L V6 and manual transmission. Steering feels a little "softer" on tight turns but after two days I already barely notice it any more.

Looks good!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #320
DarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to beholdDarkShark is a splendid one to behold

Name: Clark
DarkShark's Tacoma Gallery
Got mine done too! I love these things.