View Poll Results: 255/85 R16's?
My tire of choice has worked great in all conditions 7 58.33%
Ran em but didn't work for me, went wider and am happy I did. 2 16.67%
Ran wide before now run the skinnies and am much happier 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #21
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
So basically what yall are saying is that a tire the width of a bike tire and a 12.5" tire will yield the same traction results? I doubt it. Skinny tires are better in some situations(like slick grass going up a hill) and wider tires for mud/sand
yeah basically wide is better for soft surfaces and narrow is better for hard surfaces.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #22
Expedition Style
sierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
sierrahsky's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sierrahsky
For sierra summers the 255 is going to be awesome. But I am sorry the winters up here require 285+ studding to even make it worth it. Most of the guys around here have to run 35's that are super wide to even get decent snow loft.

Thats Y I want to run the 255's in the summer. They are awesome and will save my at tire for the highways
Old 05-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #23
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
A bike tire with a trucks weight on top of it will have far more traction than a road tire because of the increased pressure per inch on the road.

Unfortunately, that tiny amount of rubber would never be able to take the forces required of it, and would tear/ruin in minutes.

As mentioned, narrow, having higher pressure per square inch on the road, is worse for soft surfaces deeper than your diff/frame because it exerts more pressure ON that surface so will want to dig down rather than float on top.

Mud or snow less than your frame/diff depth, and any hard surface, and all other things being equal, narrower is better. 10/10 times, no exceptions.

What I meant by this is a 33x12.5 vs a 33x10 BFG MT will do worse in every situation where the truck cannot sink to the diff/frame. There is no advantage to a wider tire off-road other than loft on soft surfaces.

So I agree, if you're trying to float on a surface like snow withiout digging down to the dirt underneath, or mud deeper than your diff or frame, then a wider tire could very well be an advantage.

Otherwise, narrower.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #24
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrgrnr View Post
Lol..........then why do us offroaders run 15-18psi if higher pressure is better?

Your equations and formulas hold no water........get out and wheel.

And the narrow tires are going to burry themselves in the sand and snow
I meant truck pressure onto the ground. Not pressure in your tires.

Airing down your tires allows your tire to mold more around (hard)surfaces. That is where the grip comes from in this instance. As your contact patch goes up you're actually losing some lbs per square inch onto the ground, so losing adhesion friction, but gaining much more friction from the tire molding around surface irregularities.

If you refuse to read this article, read this section:

http://www.expeditionswest.com/resea...ml#performance

It explains it pretty nicely.
From that article:

Old 05-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #25
The light was yellow, Sir.
bridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
bridaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
So basically what yall are saying is that a tire the width of a bike tire and a 12.5" tire will yield the same traction results? I doubt it. Skinny tires are better in some situations(like slick grass going up a hill) and wider tires for mud/sand
No, you are missing the point. Train rail car wheels are 4" wide and provide incredible traction on a very smooth surface...

There is no point trying to rehash this here when the information at the link provided earlier explains it very well!

The guys with wide tires that want to keep telling us they are better for offroad are never going to read this info or wrap their brain around it -they got wide tires for looks. Good for them. I want a better off road tire and for the driving I do -tall and skinny please!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #26
bridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedbridaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bridaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Your equations and formulas hold no water........get out and wheel.

And the narrow tires are going to burry themselves in the sand and snow
I guess these folks got it all wrong.

Quote:
The Turtle Expedition who has literally traveled around the world used a 255/85 R16 (33.3 x 10) for many thousands of miles on their full size Ford. Land Rover uses narrow 7.0 R16 XCL tires in most of their Camel Trophy events. The Rain Forest Challenge and The Trophy challenge have all been won by the aggressive Simex Trekker tire (35x11.00). Tom Sheppard often uses the 7-7.5 R16 Michelin XZL and XCL for many of his expeditions. All very narrow tires in relationship to their height…
Old 05-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #27

Haha we all love Tool, but the fact is there is a ton of anecdotal evidence (including this poll) plus ALL (100% no exceptions) of the science supports the fact that a skinny (33x10) tire is better than a wider (33x12.5) tire offroad in any situation except mud/snow/sand deeper than the diff/frame.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #28

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

-Someone, not me
Old 05-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #29
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
08pretaco made it further with an open diff taco than our buddy with LSD in the loose sand

He was running his 255s and the other guy was running 265 Duratracs which buried him in the loose shit

EDITED
Old 05-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #30
Expedition Style
sierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedsierrahsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

I state my experiences, and my opinions and you call me wrong?
Not trying to jump on the band wagon here but in a debate on facts opinions and experiences dont hold up well to facts.

I would not say your wrong, just that your off-roading needs may be different from the needs of those who run the 255. Many of your photos show wheeling in places that a 255 may not excel in comparison, but someone in moab may have the opposite need and therefore experience the opposite of what you have.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:24 PM   #31

Different strokes for different folks That's why you can buy them in all kinds of sizes!
Old 05-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #32

Agreed, everyone has their own needs. If you wanna wheel in snow where you want your wheels to float on top rather than dig down to the dirt, tall skinny tires aren't ideal.

If you're bogging through mud up to the bumper, tall and skinny might not be the way to go.

They make em in tons of sizes, buy what ya like and what works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrahsky View Post
Not trying to jump on the band wagon here but in a debate on facts opinions and experiences dont hold up well to facts.

I would not say your wrong, just that your off-roading needs may be different from the needs of those who run the 255. Many of your photos show wheeling in places that a 255 may not excel in comparison, but someone in moab may have the opposite need and therefore experience the opposite of what you have.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #33
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by anethema View Post
Agreed, everyone has their own needs. If you wanna wheel in snow where you want your wheels to float on top rather than dig down to the dirt, tall skinny tires aren't ideal.

If you're bogging through mud up to the bumper, tall and skinny might not be the way to go.

They make em in tons of sizes, buy what ya like and what works for you.
so them not being ideal for sand is a safe bet too then right? I only have a rear locker and I don't need anything taking away from my O/R capabilities
Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #34

I'm not really qualified to answer that as I've never run my truck in deep sand, I can only spit back up what I've read. I would think wider would be better for sand, but then you see a shit ton of the Sahara or other desert expedition vehicles running tall/skinny, and quotes from some of the Guru's like this:

Quote:
Airing Down: This is another critical concept highlighting the advantage of a narrower tire.

As quoted from Sahara Overland, a Route and Planning Guide by Chris Scott (2004, ISBN: 1-873756-76-3):
"...Note that it's the diameter or height of the tyres that makes the difference in sand, and not, as many imagine the width... For the desert, you want tyres with a high aspect ratio of around 80 because this represents a taller sidewall so corresponds to added ground clearance when firm, and a longer contact area when deflated"
Traction in soft surfaces: It is a common misconception that airing down a tire for off-road traction only makes the tire contact patch wider. That is not the case. In fact, only 20% of the increased contact comes from the width. 80% of the increased contact patch comes from the tread patch becoming longer. A tall, narrow tire allows for a very long contact patch when aired down. That, coupled with the minimal frontal resistance (area), negates much of the downside to narrow tires in flotation situations. The taller tire allows for a long contact patch and still maintains good ground clearance.

You're gonna have to just do some more research and make a decision on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
so them not being ideal for sand is a safe bet too then right? I only have a rear locker and I don't need anything taking away from my O/R capabilities
Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #35

Old 05-09-2011, 11:42 PM   #36

it seems 255 would be better reading that quote of yours...the guy seemed to know his stuff
Old 05-09-2011, 11:59 PM   #37
Expedition Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtsTRD View Post
it seems 255 would be better reading that quote of yours...the guy seemed to know his stuff
What kind of trails are you hitting, what are your 4x4 needs, how much highway v trails time, terrain?, $$$, weight in your truck.... it goes on.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #38

Quote:
Why the hell is this in the 2nd gen section anyway?
IDK
Old 05-10-2011, 12:58 AM   #39

bridaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I state my experiences, and my opinions and you call me wrong?
I did not.

The OP states he is going to buy this size after a MONTH of research.

You offered your opinion in your first post.

Others stated their experience is different. Still others provide links to data that supports narrow tires outperform wider tires in just about every offroad driving condition found on our continent unless you are up to the frame.

Sharing your opinion over and over is sort of like arguing -or trying to convince us we are wrong.

So I asked (sarcastically) if these people also got it wrong?

Quote:
The Turtle Expedition who has literally traveled around the world used a 255/85 R16 (33.3 x 10) for many thousands of miles on their full size Ford. Land Rover uses narrow 7.0 R16 XCL tires in most of their Camel Trophy events. The Rain Forest Challenge and The Trophy challenge have all been won by the aggressive Simex Trekker tire (35x11.00). Tom Sheppard often uses the 7-7.5 R16 Michelin XZL and XCL for many of his expeditions. All very narrow tires in relationship to their height…
To which you now act all hurt?

The thread is titled "255/85 R16 Owners Experience" and you are here arguing wider tires are better. wtf?

And yes, I thought the same thing, why isn't this in the wheel and tire section?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #40

Ya no idea why in 2nd gen. Other than I tend to do the same thing (post everything here because this is kinda my 'home' forum for trucks hehe.

I'd almost want to try even taller/skinnier next time haha but there is even less choice. The Interco SSR comes in 35x10.50R16LT which would be pretty interesting. The BFG KM2's are already pretty much 34 inches though when new so not sure how much I'd be gaining for what I'd be giving up. (KM2 road manners actually kick ass, quieter than most ATs and feels great even in high G turns etc. No wandering, no wobble)