255/85 R16 Owners Experience

View Poll Results: 255/85 R16's?
My tire of choice has worked great in all conditions 7 58.33%
Ran em but didn't work for me, went wider and am happy I did. 2 16.67%
Ran wide before now run the skinnies and am much happier 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #1142
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
damn that is a lot of weight in the bed at 3150lbs!!! image you still had stock leafs so with your extra 3/4 inch offset outwards still not getting any rub is great!
Old 05-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #1143
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
XXXX: In response to you claiming the Allpro leafs won't improve my problem with the rear tire contacting the fender at full stuff. Two problems with your claim. First, the leafs do move the axle back slightly. Second,even if they didn't the physical height of the leafpack moves my factory bump upward about 2" which will prevent the axle from up travelling as far as it did previously and by extension preventing the contact I had previously. Your suspension theories are correct, but you missed the details. The devil is in the details.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #1144
Banned
denali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the sheddenali climber is one of the sharper tools in the shed
denali climber's Tacoma Gallery
toyota needs to make bigger wheel wells on their 4x4 's
Old 05-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #1145
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
damn that is a lot of weight in the bed at 3150lbs!!! image you still had stock leafs so with your extra 3/4 inch offset outwards still not getting any rub is great!
When fully flexed the tire will go into the wheel well.
I had it up on two wheels once (opposite corners) and the rear tire was inside the wheel well.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #1146
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
XXXX: In response to you claiming the Allpro leafs won't improve my problem with the rear tire contacting the fender at full stuff. Two problems with your claim. First, the leafs do move the axle back slightly. Second,even if they didn't the physical height of the leafpack moves my factory bump upward about 2" which will prevent the axle from up travelling as far as it did previously and by extension preventing the contact I had previously. Your suspension theories are correct, but you missed the details. The devil is in the details.
Funny...I called AP today and they said the leafs put the axle in the same location. Hmmm... where did you get your info from?

and next .....your new leafs wil be 2" thicker then the old... please tell me what you have and are going to. I'm very interested.

also I have NEVER heard of anyone saying their bump stops would stop axle wrap..... dats a good one
Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #1147
lightningcow is on a distinguished road
Name: Craig
lightningcow's Tacoma Gallery
More pics. No rubbing with me driving on this mountain road and that's about as wild as I get. Anything is better than the stock rubber, but these Coopers really are quite nice.
Attached Thumbnails
255/85 R16 Owners Experience-img_20130510_170006_169.jpg   255/85 R16 Owners Experience-img_20130510_170022_078.jpg  
Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #1148
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Funny...I called AP today and they said the leafs put the axle in the same location. Hmmm... where did you get your info from?

and next .....your new leafs wil be 2" thicker then the old... please tell me what you have and are going to. I'm very interested.

also I have NEVER heard of anyone saying their bump stops would stop axle wrap..... dats a good one
You called AP? Great, I measured it on my truck and muscled the axle back during install. Thats called direct information, which you seem to be sorely lacking. You can see in the attached picture that the new leaf pack is substantially thicker. I never said bumpstops would li it axle wrap, but the bump will stop up travel at a distance equal to the distance the bump stop was elevated. Thats pretty simple, so even you can comprehend it.

Its obvious you are the smartest guy you know. Don't expect the rest of us to agree with your self assessment..
Attached Thumbnails
255/85 R16 Owners Experience-image.jpg  
Old 05-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #1150
logan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: logan
logan1992's Tacoma Gallery
finished mine today 255 85, love this tire size
Attached Thumbnails
255/85 R16 Owners Experience-photo.jpg  
Old 05-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #1152
logan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of lightlogan1992 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: logan
logan1992's Tacoma Gallery
thanks, their maxxis bighorns, measured at exactly 33 inches tall, louder on the highway than my bgf ats but not to bad at all
Old 05-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #1153
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
FIGHT
FIGHT
FIGHT
Instigator.

Guy who thinks he is the smartest in the room is usually the dumbest.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 PM   #1154
MisterM70 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jack
MisterM70's Tacoma Gallery
backset

My rims are the stock rims and the tire def rubs front of rear wells even after dakars installed. I am running Toyos which I hear are the tallest in this size but still it onky rubs stuffed going very very steep. Will have to stop mid hill next time out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I got mine for maximum clearance. I do however only run about 1" lift up front so I have the more down travel than someone lifted 3".

Ex. I have similar clearance to a 3" lifted truck on 285's with an additional 2" down travel.

What is the back set of your wheels?

Unless they move the axle they will not solve the problem and as far as I know Dakars are the only leafs moving the axle.

Adding some pre load to the front or rear of your truck (lift) does not change it's geometry. Compress them and they will be right back to rubbing.

Get properly backset wheels in the first place and avoid any/all of those issues.

No way in hell are my tires even close to rubbing any portion of the rear fender in any situation.

(mud flap missing due to encounter with tree not rubbing)

other side stuffed

same situation with short inverted wheelers bump stops (wheelers bump towers removed for max stuff)

My tires ride inside the fenders.

same situation with inches of front clearance

Defeats the purpose unless you like ripping fenders off and rubbing. See 2 pics up. My fenders would be gone if I had my tires sticking out more.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #1155

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningcow View Post
More pics. No rubbing with me driving on this mountain road and that's about as wild as I get. Anything is better than the stock rubber, but these Coopers really are quite nice.
Might as well be pavement from the looks of these pics. No offense but get it going up hill really steel, I mean steep with large ruts and let me know.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningcow View Post
Might as well be pavement from the looks of these pics. No offense but get it going up hill really steel, I mean steep with large ruts and let me know.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #1157
lightningcow is on a distinguished road
Name: Craig
lightningcow's Tacoma Gallery
That was my point, I use the truck as a truck and really nothing more. No wheeling or anything of the like. If I haven't rubbed yet...I won't.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #1158
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about going with 255/85r16 when the factory dunflops are toast. I have a DCSB 4.0 4x4 6 speed.I know re-gearing to 4.56 or 4.88 would be ideal, but it will be several years before I can manage that. How do these trucks due in terms of pulling and driving with this setup? My previous vehicle was a 1 ton Cummins, so I'm already feeling a HUGE lack of power. How significant is the power loss when going from 245/75r16 to 255/85r16? I drive about 50% highway & 50% city. I don't plan on ever towing more than 5k lbs, and don't tow very often. I like to play offroad a bit, but nothing too crazy.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #1159
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Well Tacos aren't race cars to begin with.
I have them on my 4Banger with stock gears and it does just fine. I even had over 3K lbs in the bed and it had no problems.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #1160
Fiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fiveology's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTRATE View Post
Thinking about going with 255/85r16 when the factory dunflops are toast. I have a DCSB 4.0 4x4 6 speed.I know re-gearing to 4.56 or 4.88 would be ideal, but it will be several years before I can manage that. How do these trucks due in terms of pulling and driving with this setup? My previous vehicle was a 1 ton Cummins, so I'm already feeling a HUGE lack of power. How significant is the power loss when going from 245/75r16 to 255/85r16? I drive about 50% highway & 50% city. I don't plan on ever towing more than 5k lbs, and don't tow very often. I like to play offroad a bit, but nothing too crazy.
I too came from a Cummins before buying my Tacoma, a pretty heavily modified Cummins at that, so I know what you're feeling. I have 255/85s on my truck and I have to say I was actually expecting to feel a bigger difference then I did. Really the only thing I noticed is that it will drop out of overdrive on the highway occasionally on bigger hills. I have towed my Mustang since adding the 255s, that was about 4500 lbs with the trailer. That trip was about three and a half hours and had absolutely no problems at all. I have also towed a friends Mustang the same distance, but his car is almost 4000 lbs by itself, so I was probably pulling 5500-5700 on that trip, noticed it was heavier but still no problem. My truck now has more miles on it lifted and on 255's then it did stock, and I don't regret the decision to go with 255's at all.