255/85 R16 Owners Experience

View Poll Results: 255/85 R16's?
My tire of choice has worked great in all conditions 7 58.33%
Ran em but didn't work for me, went wider and am happy I did. 2 16.67%
Ran wide before now run the skinnies and am much happier 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #1261
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Only one I could dig up on my computer.
Attached Thumbnails
255/85 R16 Owners Experience-255-tires-front.jpg  
Old 08-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #1262
Student / Vol. FF
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMaster06 View Post
I've been sub'd to this thread for a long time now as I'm strongly considering these tires for my next purchase. Everyone's trucks look sweet with these tires, but I'd just like to see more pics of these tires taken from the front or back rather than mainly side/angled views....I'm just trying to get a better idea of how skinny this size will actually look. The look isn't THAT important to me, more for functionality, but I'd still like to drool over some more pics haha. I did a google search and found 1 or 2 pics taken from the font, but if you happen to have any pics that i'd appreciate it
From what I've seen of these sizes, they look noticeably skinnier in pictures than they do in real life. Just a thought.

Matt
Old 08-03-2013, 03:44 PM   #1263
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
From what I've seen of these sizes, they look noticeably skinnier in pictures than they do in real life. Just a thought.

Matt
x2.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #1264
TBlack is on a distinguished road

Name: Taylor
TBlack's Tacoma Gallery
I really want to run these tires on my 2013 tacoma dcsb prerunner. I dont have any lift and I dont do any off roading. Do you think I can run these without any major rubbing or any at all, or would I need some kind of a lift to fit them?
Attached Thumbnails
255/85 R16 Owners Experience-img_1919.jpg   255/85 R16 Owners Experience-img_1921.jpg  
Old 08-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #1265
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeene9 View Post
Only one I could dig up on my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
x2.
Thanks fellas
Old 08-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #1266
Student / Vol. FF
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBlack View Post
I really want to run these tires on my 2013 tacoma dcsb prerunner. I dont have any lift and I dont do any off roading. Do you think I can run these without any major rubbing or any at all, or would I need some kind of a lift to fit them?
Going to need at least a 2'' lift to avoid major rubbing issues.

Matt
Old 08-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #1267
TBlack is on a distinguished road

Name: Taylor
TBlack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Going to need at least a 2'' lift to avoid major rubbing issues.

Matt
Thanks Matt. Will have to look into that.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #1268
4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Running Daily is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Connor
4Running Daily's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, these tires do pretty well.

DSC_0041 by 4Running Daily, on Flickr
Old 08-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #1269
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I hope those new Coopers are legit. When my Hankooks wear out I'm definitely hoping to grab a set.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #1270
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
I hope those new Coopers are legit. When my Hankooks wear out I'm definitely hoping to grab a set.
Any word on estimated mileage life on the coopers? I can tell my KM2's aren't going to last.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #1271
Fiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fiveology's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBlack View Post
Look back a page or two I posted links to 2 trucks running 255/85r16s, one with no lift, one with a very small lift. Might want to send a PM to those two owners and see how the tires are working out for them.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #1272
Fiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiveology is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Fiveology's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Running Daily View Post
Ya, these tires do pretty well.

DSC_0041 by 4Running Daily, on Flickr
Looks great! By far my favorite 4Runner bodystyle!
Old 08-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #1273
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure I'm squeezin' the trigger on 5 KM2s tomorrow. 255/85r16 of course
Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #1274
Salt is on a distinguished road

Salt's Tacoma Gallery
Cooper ST + FJ TRD Trail wheels?

So this was discussed in the tread above but not in the detail I'm looking for. I've searched without success so here it is.

I have a set of Black FJ TRD wheels ariving on Friday. 7.5" wide rims.

I'm very intertested in 255's, specifically the Discoverer S/T as it looks to be a good fit for me and Colorado. This tire is within spec for this wheel as the rim is 7.5" and the tire is rated for 6.5" to 8" wide rims. However Cooper recommends a 7" wide rim. So this wheel would almost be the max width for this tire.

I don't mind earning some dents and scratches, but I'd prefer not to destroy my wheels that quickly because the tire is too narrow.

Anybody run this tire/wheel combo and have any comments?

Thanks,

Salt

edit - 7.5" wide wheels so should be ok?
Old 08-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #1275
Student / Vol. FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
So this was discussed in the tread above but not in the detail I'm looking for. I've searched without success so here it is.

I'm very intertested in 255's, specifically the Discoverer S/T as it looks to be a good fit for me and Colorado. This tire is within spec for this wheel as the rim is 7.5" and the tire is rated for 6.5" to 8" wide rims. However Cooper recommends a 7" wide rim. So this wheel would almost be the max width for this tire.

I don't mind earning some dents and scratches, but I'd prefer not to destroy my wheels that quickly because the tire is too narrow.

Thanks,

Salt

255's are rated to a 8.5'' wheel, but as I have said before in this thread, I wouldn't want to be close to that especially if you air down when wheeling. 7.5'' should be ok though.

Matt
Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #1276
All your soul are belong to us
Enigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnigmaaron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Enigmaaron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks,

Salt

If you are going to go offroad concern for your wheels should be thrown out the window, they will inevitably get trashed regardless of setup. Any wheel width that is within the manufacturer's spec width range for the tire is fine.

One thing to note, sounds like from recent posts in here that the Discoverer S/T is no longer available or hard to come by (at least in a 255). You'll need look for the Discoverer S/T Maxx which has yet to been seen in the wild in a 255.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #1277
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Goin' in tomorrow to get my 5 km2s put on. Sofa king excited
Old 08-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #1278
cdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant futurecdj1 has a brilliant future

Name: Clint
cdj1's Tacoma Gallery
Never did post here after I put my bfg mt km2s on. 255/85/16
Attached Thumbnails
255/85 R16 Owners Experience-uploadfromtaptalk1377108775487.jpg   255/85 R16 Owners Experience-uploadfromtaptalk1377108812122.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #1279
ortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of lightortlie09 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Eric
ortlie09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks,

Salt

Yeah those are about as good as its gonna get. Most guys that I've seen run 8 inch wide wheels. I think 7.5 is perfectly fine