255/85 R16 Owners Experience

View Poll Results: 255/85 R16's?
My tire of choice has worked great in all conditions 7 58.33%
Ran em but didn't work for me, went wider and am happy I did. 2 16.67%
Ran wide before now run the skinnies and am much happier 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #1301
CASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shedCASTRATE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
CASTRATE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabassman View Post
How many miles are you folks getting out of the various tires. Which ones and how many
I've got about 150 miles on my km2s so far, so I am of no use
Old 08-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #1302
dorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud ofdorkmagus has much to be proud of

Name: Shane
dorkmagus's Tacoma Gallery
I have 20-25k on mine and I'm still at ~12/32. They have about 19/32 new. Mine are a little choppy due to alignment issues tho.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #1303
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkmagus View Post
I have 20-25k on mine and I'm still at ~12/32. They have about 19/32 new. Mine are a little choppy due to alignment issues tho.
Cool cool I've got a set of Kelly safari tsr 265s that I should be able to get 50+ out of. I really like em but not many sizes. Km2 are what ill probably get if I got 255 route. Are thee any all terrain options in a 255?
Old 08-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #1304
Salt is on a distinguished road

Salt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmaaron View Post
If you are going to go offroad concern for your wheels should be thrown out the window, they will inevitably get trashed regardless of setup. Any wheel width that is within the manufacturer's spec width range for the tire is fine.

One thing to note, sounds like from recent posts in here that the Discoverer S/T is no longer available or hard to come by (at least in a 255). You'll need look for the Discoverer S/T Maxx which has yet to been seen in the wild in a 255.
Cooper still lists the Disco S/T 255 as a current SKU. No luck with any of the local shops, they either did not stock this tire or were $75 to $90 per tire more expensive then online options. I was able to find several online retailers that stocked these tires in the spec I wanted. I ordered them last friday and 5 tires are expected to arrive this wednesday. After my build is done and I've had some time on them I'll post some initial comments.

Salt
Old 09-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #1305

Salt's Tacoma Gallery
Just had my new FJ wheels and Cooper Disco S/T 255's installed. Discount Tire swapped my TPMS (all 5) sensors and slapped on my new wheels in about an hour. I dare say, based on the 10 miles I've driven, these S/T's are quiter than my beat up AT3's. Small steering wobble at 55 mph is also gone.
After my lift and bumper are installed I'll report back again on my read on the S/T's so far.
The tires do rub the front (forward) tiny mud flap slightly, but thoes are coming off tomarrow anyway. Front main mud flaps are long gone, those things suck. I need to find a set of gen 1 or aftermarket flaps that are worthy.

Cheers,

Salt
Old 09-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #1306
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
Just had my new FJ wheels and Cooper Disco S/T 255's installed. Discount Tire swapped my TPMS (all 5) sensors and slapped on my new wheels in about an hour. I dare say, based on the 10 miles I've driven, these S/T's are quiter than my beat up AT3's. Small steering wobble at 55 mph is also gone.
After my lift and bumper are installed I'll report back again on my read on the S/T's so far.
The tires do rub the front (forward) tiny mud flap slightly, but thoes are coming off tomarrow anyway. Front main mud flaps are long gone, those things suck. I need to find a set of gen 1 or aftermarket flaps that are worthy.

Cheers,

Salt
You say after lift is installed are you running these with no lift?

I dont know why but my 265/75s rub on the passenger side at full lock turning right with my lift. So thats pretty good if your able to run the 255s with no lift.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #1307

Salt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You say after lift is installed are you running these with no lift?

I dont know why but my 265/75s rub on the passenger side at full lock turning right with my lift. So thats pretty good if your able to run the 255s with no lift.
Yes, that is correct. I currently have FJ TRD wheels with Cooper Discoverer S/T LT255/85R16's (8 ply D load) installed with no lift. However as I said above (I think...?) this is only for the next 12 hours as I'm having an OME kit, (edit: plus SPC UCA's) ARB bumper, Warn M8000 winch and sliders installed tomorrow morning. This is just a temp situation. If additional mods are required to clear these tires then I'll make that happen. However based on my research the aftermarket bumper and the OME kit should take care of it. Time will tell.

Please note** The front flaps are long gone, but the tires DO rub on the tiny (what are they, air deflectors?) mud flaps in front of the front tire at about 80% lock and they rub badly in reverse.

I can not recommend this size tire without modifications and a lift.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #1308
Drive it like a 4WD

I'm lifted 3 inches in front. I wouldn't expect any issues from what I understand 285+ are the only things that require trimming and new wheels/spacers. But I'm not in the market right now just doing some reaserch for future reference.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #1309
Drive it like a 4WD

Lets see how bad ass 255s look with no lift. Get a picture before lift if you can.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #1310
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a first gen and I have plenty of clearance with my 255/85 Cooper Discover S/T's. I'm lifted 3" in front and 3.25" rear.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #1311

Salt's Tacoma Gallery
before lift

Attached Thumbnails
255/85 R16 Owners Experience-photo-5.jpg  
Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #1312
Drive it like a 4WD

Quote:
Dang man those are stuffed. Are you doing lift and bumper in one sitting? I would really like to know about rubbing with out an aftermarket bumper.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #1313
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Ill say it one more time:
Typical lifts have NOTHING to do with clearing tires. Unless you change your bump stops or suspension geometry the suspension will cycle the same.

That said if you mall crawl only you may rub less with a list but if you wheel hard a lift does Jack crap fitting bigger tires.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #1314

Salt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Ill say it one more time:
Typical lifts have NOTHING to do with clearing tires. Unless you change your bump stops or suspension geometry the suspension will cycle the same.

That said if you mall crawl only you may rub less with a list but if you wheel hard a lift does Jack crap fitting bigger tires.
Agreed, but I'm not building a mall crawler. My town 3 stoplights, no mall, and is surrounded by moutains. So the oppertunity for adventure is ripe.

I've seen this combination executed with sucess using an almost identical build. Like I said, if additional mods are required to make it function perfectly then I'll cross that bridge. If I can't make it work then live and learn, I'll try something else.
I don't recal if I mentioned it but I'm also having SPC UCA's installed, above post edited. I had a detialed conversation with my local shop this AM. They are reviewing everything today and we will see how it goes.

Salt
Old 09-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #1315
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Agreed, but I'm not building a mall crawler. My town 3 stoplights, no mall, and is surrounded by moutains. So the oppertunity for adventure is ripe.

I've seen this combination executed with sucess using an almost identical build. Like I said, if additional mods are required to make it function perfectly then I'll cross that bridge. If I can't make it work then live and learn, I'll try something else.
I don't recal if I mentioned it but I'm also having SPC UCA's installed, above post edited. I had a detialed conversation with my local shop this AM. They are reviewing everything today and we will see how it goes.

Salt
I have about a inch of lift if that and have zero issues with these tires. Proper backspace and caster is the key.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #1316
mk7 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
mk7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I have about a inch of lift if that and have zero issues with these tires. Proper backspace and caster is the key.
Your using the 16" x 7" steel wheels, right?
Old 09-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #1318

Salt's Tacoma Gallery
bam!

Full OME lift, 866 springs, SPS UPC's, ARB front bumper, Slee sliders, FJ wheels and Cooper Disco S/T 255/85R16's.

Rides awesome so far! Tomorrow will be adventure day.

Salt
Attached Thumbnails
255/85 R16 Owners Experience-photo-8.jpg  
Old 09-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #1319
_swede is on a distinguished road

Army: AVN
Name: Kris
_swede's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How many miles are you folks getting out of the various tires. Which ones and how many
255/85r16 KM2's. I go about 35k and get lazy rotating so I swap out for a new set every couple years :]

The used set sells instantly on c'list because there's still plenty of life left. lol
Old 09-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #1320
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Full OME lift, 866 springs, SPS UPC's, ARB front bumper, Slee sliders, FJ wheels and Cooper Disco S/T 255/85R16's.

Rides awesome so far! Tomorrow will be adventure day.

Salt
Looks great!