Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #1341
Danimal69361 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Danimal69361's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmtber23 View Post
I have had this size for about a month now and love them. They make more sense in my opinion. A lot more room to play with inside the wheel well when the tire is aired down versus a 285/75r16. I'm lifted 2.75" up front (or so) and only had to do minor trimming. I'm running my offroad rims (powder coated) and just required 1.25" spacers. The tall and skinny looks better in my opinion and my wheel bearings won't mind as much I'm sure in the long run.

The off-road wheels have... 4.5" backspace? You added 1.25" of spacer? That would mean your wheel face is out 2.25" more then stock. Am I understanding that correctly?
Old 09-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #1342
Student / Vol. FF
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal69361 View Post
The off-road wheels have... 4.5" backspace? You added 1.25" of spacer? That would mean your wheel face is out 2.25" more then stock. Am I understanding that correctly?
TRD OR wheels have 5'' (or 4'', whichever doesn't stick out as much) of backspacing, I think.

Matt
Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #1343
GAmtber23 is a splendid one to beholdGAmtber23 is a splendid one to beholdGAmtber23 is a splendid one to beholdGAmtber23 is a splendid one to beholdGAmtber23 is a splendid one to beholdGAmtber23 is a splendid one to beholdGAmtber23 is a splendid one to behold
GAmtber23's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah whatever the stock backspacing is plus the additional 1.25 inches from the spacers. I need to clean her up again and take some pictures but I love how the OEM rims turned out. I went with Gloss black to match my tool box and they are bitchin'. I work in a tire shop so it was a little easier for me to run around and what not. I painted the TPMS parts as well. Just gotta wrap up the job and knock out the center caps. I've been making excuses not to hah

Edit: the spacers may have been required from my specific lift not the actual tire size. My UCAS are a little wider than stock.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #1344
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post
Problem is if he buys the proper coil without having the weight of the armour he risks running too much lift/harsh ride. With an adjustable coilover at least he can maintain the lift he desires without having to switch out coils a bunch of times. All considering, if he can wait and get everything at once, then yes just get the proper coil.

Edit: just looked that he is a double cab: he could run the 886 without any armour and be okay. Would just be stiff. Again all assuming he wants 3inch lift.
Doesn't every one want an extra 3"?

Don't ask my woman...she'll look horrified.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #1345
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Doesn't every one want an extra 3"?

Don't ask my woman...she'll look horrified.
Who wouldnt want an extra 3" lol but, some people only want 2....
Old 09-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #1347
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #1349
_swede is on a distinguished road

Army: AVN
Name: Kris
_swede's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASTRATE View Post
Thanks. I weld for a living. Building stuff for my truck is a strees reliever
That is a neat setup you came up with, I've wanted to fab something like that for a while. How is your field of vision through the rear view mirror now that it's mounted there? If you have any photos from the driver seat that would be awesome.

I own a machine shop and you're right, tinkering on truck and UTV parts takes the edge off the week.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #1350
mouse007 has a spectacular aura aboutmouse007 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Mauricio
mouse007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
any better pictures..?!?!?! No lift, I'm tempted but don't want to destroy the fenders.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #1351
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse007 View Post
any better pictures..?!?!?! No lift, I'm tempted but don't want to destroy the fenders.
if you want to lift eventually follow that temptation, this will help with the lift push that ahead!! i went with 265 dick cepek mud countries with a three inch lift and wish i'd gone with the toyo mt 255's. i love the dc's though, they are great on the hwy & off road.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #1352
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Sharing my USED TIRE PURCHASE experience so you guys can hopefully avoid a similar mistake.

I bought a set of BFG Mud Terrain 255/86R16 tires off ebay a couple months ago. These are not the KM2, but the earlier KM style. They were used and on wheels that were a bolt pattern and offset that will not work on our Tacomas. The photos showed plenty of tread and the wear looked normal. We struck up a deal without the wheels and I bought them. They arrived promptly and I stacked them in my shed.

I ordered a set of Method wheels and just yesterday had an appointment to get the tires mounted on the new wheels at a trusted off-road shop.
The shop told me and showed me several chunks missing at the bead of he used tires and advised me that they were dry rotted and would likely ply separate if mounted. Only one tire was deemed good.

So my "deal" on used tires turned into a big fairly expensive mistake. I paid $650 for 5 tires (including shipping them 1,000 miles to me) and had to trash 4 of them.

I have good tires (Duratrac 265's) on the truck, but I do want to try this 255/85R16 fitment. Now I have to start all over again. At least I have a spare in this size, and new wheels ready to go.....

Now thinking of going with the Cooper ST because TireCrawler has them for $182 each, but it may be after Christmas before I have more $ to burn on truck mods.

Just think TWICE before buying used tires my friends!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #1353
Student / Vol. FF
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
Sharing my USED TIRE PURCHASE experience so you guys can hopefully avoid a similar mistake.

I bought a set of BFG Mud Terrain 255/86R16 tires off ebay a couple months ago. These are not the KM2, but the earlier KM style. They were used and on wheels that were a bolt pattern and offset that will not work on our Tacomas. The photos showed plenty of tread and the wear looked normal. We struck up a deal without the wheels and I bought them. They arrived promptly and I stacked them in my shed.

I ordered a set of Method wheels and just yesterday had an appointment to get the tires mounted on the new wheels at a trusted off-road shop.
The shop told me and showed me several chunks missing at the bead of he used tires and advised me that they were dry rotted and would likely ply separate if mounted. Only one tire was deemed good.

So my "deal" on used tires turned into a big fairly expensive mistake. I paid $650 for 5 tires (including shipping them 1,000 miles to me) and had to trash 4 of them.

I have good tires (Duratrac 265's) on the truck, but I do want to try this 255/85R16 fitment. Now I have to start all over again. At least I have a spare in this size, and new wheels ready to go.....

Now thinking of going with the Cooper ST because TireCrawler has them for $182 each, but it may be after Christmas before I have more $ to burn on truck mods.

Just think TWICE before buying used tires my friends!
"Never go cheap on things that keep you separated from the ground. Tires, shoes, mattresses, etc"

Shitty situation man. Hope you have better luck with the next set!

Matt
Old 09-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #1354
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
I would never buy used tires anyway.

If you don't mount them the same direction you will only screw up the belts. Even with non-directional treads the belts get used to going the same direction and settle in. When you turn the tire around it screws up the belts. This is why I cringe when people here rotate their tires and switch sides or rotate in the spare and switch sides.

Never Never Never

You may get away with it from time to time, but once you screw up 4 tires that used to be good and have to buy new ones you will understand.

People will flame away at this, but I know what I'm talking about and I had it happen to me. Any tire guy worth his weight will agree.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #1355
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
"Never go cheap on things that keep you separated from the ground. Tires, shoes, mattresses, etc"

Matt
Well the only saving grace is that I have a good set of nearly new tires on the truck already, so at least I can keep on driving.
I normally would not buy used tires, but I figured if I can get 10k miles on a set of "tall & skinnies" I would know if I liked the fitment and then could buy a new set. Never figured they would be dry rotted. Live and learn I say.

I did buy a set of "take off" stock wheels and tires that were 6 months ols off a new truck for my last truck for a great price and they were fine with no problems. That used up my "used tire good luck" I suppose.

When I have the funds in a couple months, I will start the tire search all over again, but this time I will probably buy local even if I have to pay more tires plus tax (than internet pricing plus shipping) and most likely the local shop will have to order them anyway. I sure wish there was a bigger selection in 255/85R16 tires. Any word on the Cooper SST in this size?
Old 09-18-2013, 11:35 AM   #1356
Student / Vol. FF

Quote:
Well the only saving grace is that I have a good set of nearly new tires on the truck already, so at least I can keep on driving.
I normally would not buy used tires, but I figured if I can get 10k miles on a set of "tall & skinnies" I would know if I liked the fitment and then could buy a new set. Never figured they would be dry rotted. Live and learn I say.

I did buy a set of "take off" stock wheels and tires that were 6 months ols off a new truck for my last truck for a great price and they were fine with no problems. That used up my "used tire good luck" I suppose.

When I have the funds in a couple months, I will start the tire search all over again, but this time I will probably buy local even if I have to pay more tires plus tax (than internet pricing plus shipping) and most likely the local shop will have to order them anyway. I sure wish there was a bigger selection in 255/85R16 tires. Any word on the Cooper SST in this size?
Latest word from Cooper is that the ST Maxx's would "be released in the fall." Not sure when in the fall though. I'm most likely going to get KM2's though if I go the 255 route next.

Matt
Old 09-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #1357
mouse007 has a spectacular aura aboutmouse007 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Mauricio
mouse007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
if you want to lift eventually follow that temptation, this will help with the lift push that ahead!! i went with 265 dick cepek mud countries with a three inch lift and wish i'd gone with the toyo mt 255's. i love the dc's though, they are great on the hwy & off road.

I have a set of KM2's in 255/85 sitting in my garage. I just don't know if I should install them. I may need a few months before I can buy my lift.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #1358
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post

Matt
very good point
Old 09-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #1359
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I feel for you man. I did the same when buying my 255/85 cooper S/T's. I inspected the tread carefully and everything looked fine. Then when I took them to get mounted the guy at the shop said you got "blemished" tires. That was the first if ever heard of blemished tires. He said normally the "blemish" stamp is usually on the sidewall, but these were inside the tire and very hard to see. Luckily I spent $100 on the tires, so not too big of a loss. I still have them on and I love the Look and stance but I can't really give any feedback because these tires are so wobbly. No shop can balance them correctly. The tread blocks have held up well and they aren't chuncking, plus they do well on the light trails I travel. Other than that, for a daily driver they are horrible, but only because they are blemished. If they were a strait set then I would definently buy this set again. But moral of the story, don't buy used.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #1360
Weighing in the pros and cons of the BFG KM2's -vs- Cooper ST (both in 255/85R16).

The Coopers ST would be about $900 out the door.
The BFG KM2's about $1000 (either set mounted and balanced, no TPS purchase). Toyo Open Country MT are about $1150.

These will be for my 2012 Tacoma 4x4 used for desert trails, some mountain stuff and the highways to get there. Probably very little snow/ice driving. I wish the Goodyear Dura-Trac was available in this size.