Ran wide before now run the skinnies and am much happier 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #1361
Salt is on a distinguished road

Salt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal69361 View Post
Hope you're okay with all the flooding. Lyons got hit pretty bad.
Thanks for your concern, it's been epic on an unpresendented scale. I'm still in shock. Over a years worth of rain in 3 days. My family is safe, but our town and several others in the Front Range have been destroyed. We are lucky as our property does not apprear to have sustained any damage at this time b/c our house is high on a ridge. The entire town has been evacuated. It's now a fedral disaster zone, huge high clearance military vehicals, blackhawks and Chinooks are everywhere. The river has chosen a new path, killed 4 people, destroyred 75 homes, and wiped out our electical, water and sewer systems.....and that's just my town. fuck. Youtube "lyons flood" or "jamestown flood" or "salina flood" or "Longmont flood" or "Boulder flood. The gound was shaking from the boulders tumbeling inside the river....on hwy 66 right outside my neighboorhood.
My family and I are living with friends for now. It's all speculation at this point but we may not be permitted to return to our homes for a long long time, estiamtes are ranging from unknown to 6 months and winter is approacing fast. Next time the national gaurd let's my back into town I'm planning to winterize my house.

http://www.digitalglobeblog.com/2013...floodanalysis/

I don't want to change the topic of this thread, so we can let it go and suspend realitiy but thinking about trucks.

Hold your loved ones safe.

Salt
Old 09-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #1362
Danimal69361 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Danimal69361's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt View Post
Thanks for your concern, it's been epic on an unpresendented scale. I'm still in shock. Over a years worth of rain in 3 days. My family is safe, but our town and several others in the Front Range have been destroyed. We are lucky as our property does not apprear to have sustained any damage at this time b/c our house is high on a ridge. The entire town has been evacuated. It's now a fedral disaster zone, huge high clearance military vehicals, blackhawks and Chinooks are everywhere. The river has chosen a new path, killed 4 people, destroyred 75 homes, and wiped out our electical, water and sewer systems.....and that's just my town. fuck. Youtube "lyons flood" or "jamestown flood" or "salina flood" or "Longmont flood" or "Boulder flood. The gound was shaking from the boulders tumbeling inside the river....on hwy 66 right outside my neighboorhood.
My family and I are living with friends for now. It's all speculation at this point but we may not be permitted to return to our homes for a long long time, estiamtes are ranging from unknown to 6 months and winter is approacing fast. Next time the national gaurd let's my back into town I'm planning to winterize my house.

http://www.digitalglobeblog.com/2013...floodanalysis/

I don't want to change the topic of this thread, so we can let it go and suspend realitiy but thinking about trucks.

Hold your loved ones safe.

Salt
Sometimes all we can do to keep our sanity is pretend. Prayers man. Try not to steal any high clearance military unimogs, or humvees. TRY.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #1363
_swede is on a distinguished road

Army: AVN
Name: Kris
_swede's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
I would never buy used tires anyway.

If you don't mount them the same direction you will only screw up the belts. Even with non-directional treads the belts get used to going the same direction and settle in. When you turn the tire around it screws up the belts. This is why I cringe when people here rotate their tires and switch sides or rotate in the spare and switch sides.

Never Never Never

You may get away with it from time to time, but once you screw up 4 tires that used to be good and have to buy new ones you will understand.

People will flame away at this, but I know what I'm talking about and I had it happen to me. Any tire guy worth his weight will agree.
This is a good point about the wear bars and makes me almost feel guilty about selling used tires... I know that the couple times I've rid of my 75% used KM2's in the past it's been to a guy for a dedicated off-road rig anyways. But I feel like I've been destroying my own tires by switching sides during a rotation. I want to investigate this further... does it happen to all style/brands of tire?

I will say that I would NEVER intentionally sell something with damage/defect or was unsafe. Blemish tires that the other poster bought by mistake? That's ridiculous. Some people have no conscience!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #1364
Atleast it wasn't Green!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SGT, Cannon Crew Member, A Btry 1-148th FA
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

If you don't mount them the same direction you will only screw up the belts. Even with non-directional treads the belts get used to going the same direction and settle in. When you turn the tire around it screws up the belts. This is why I cringe when people here rotate their tires and switch sides or rotate in the spare and switch sides.

Never Never Never

You may get away with it from time to time, but once you screw up 4 tires that used to be good and have to buy new ones you will understand.

People will flame away at this, but I know what I'm talking about and I had it happen to me. Any tire guy worth his weight will agree.
Interesting. I've never heard this before... so in other words don't rotate your tires or only swap them from front to back and not passenger to driver?

So why is the standard at most shops to swap front-driver to rear-passenger and front-passenger to rear-driver? I would think what you are saying would be more widely known that the rotation style I posted.

I've rotated my KM2's like I stated above twice now with no issues that I have noticed.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #1365
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Never Never Never

You wouldn't like my tire setup...

I really do disagree with you though.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #1366
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Never Never Never

Dave Tarantino told me the same thing
Old 09-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #1367
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
My price quotes show the Toyo open country MT is over $400 more a set than the Cooper ST tires. BFG KM2 are just $100 a set more than the Coopers. (all these in 255/85R16. For desert use (loose sand / loose rock / hard pack) can I expect the KM2 MT pattern to work as good as an AT like the Cooper ST? Asking people with Cooper the say they love them, bit so do the owners of the KM2's, and the Toyo ownere rave about theirs too!
Old 09-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #1368
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Drifter View Post
My price quotes show the Toyo open country MT is over $400 more a set than the Cooper ST tires. BFG KM2 are just $100 a set more than the Coopers. (all these in 255/85R16. For desert use (loose sand / loose rock / hard pack) can I expect the KM2 MT pattern to work as good as an AT like the Cooper ST? Asking people with Cooper the say they love them, bit so do the owners of the KM2's, and the Toyo ownere rave about theirs too!
Being an owner of the cooper st 255/85, I wouldn't expect them to do what a MT can. I would expect more from the km2's or toyos, although these st's can go through some crapy spots. They have big/ spread out tread blocks for an AT.

Toyos are expensive, so I feel ya on that.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #1369
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I'd go coopers...
Old 09-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #1370
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I found the toyos for less than $1000 shipped somewhere (and in stock) but now I can't remember where. I think I'm going with KM2s anyway. $924 shipped. I'm going to have them road force balanced and no BFG suppliers around here do that so I don't have a reason to buy locally.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #1371
a glorious beacon of light
luka is a glorious beacon of lightluka is a glorious beacon of lightluka is a glorious beacon of lightluka is a glorious beacon of lightluka is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Never Never Never

I'm a happy owner of 255/85-16 from Toyo, and the tire place told me about rotating their tires, to keep the L and R on their sides and just go front to back. If adding the 5th/spare, then only rotate it on 1 side..

My Toyo's were built in 2008 and installed 2 weeks ago, and they came with their full company warranty.

Road noise is pretty minor for the M/T tread and overall I like it.

they are ~.5" skinnier than oem sized 265/70-16 but a good 3" taller..feels like the best of both worlds in not hurting too much on mileage and the added clearence.

aired down to 18psi for some sand and they performed better than my older Toyo A/T's

yes they are expensive but so far they work great and i'll probably buy it again
Old 09-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #1372
Desert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shedDesert Drifter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bill
Desert Drifter's Tacoma Gallery
Good to hear Luca!
Old 09-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #1373
MisterM70 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jack
MisterM70's Tacoma Gallery
x2 on Toyo

I have the Toyo MT and could not be happier. if your in rocky conditions such as I am here in AZ, the 10 ply side walls are invaluable. Plus they are E load bearing and < 10 lbs PSI is fine with how light our trucks are (slow crawling) although I generally run 14 to 16 psi even going at a pretty good clip.

Just my $0.02
Old 09-24-2013, 07:05 PM   #1374
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
How rough do the Toyos ride? I've seen a few posts where people think they are bone jarring because of the stiff sidewalls. Most people say the bfg is better on road. I want the toyos but not if they are going to be too stiff for the street.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #1375
GAmtber23 is a splendid one to beholdGAmtber23 is a splendid one to beholdGAmtber23 is a splendid one to beholdGAmtber23 is a splendid one to beholdGAmtber23 is a splendid one to beholdGAmtber23 is a splendid one to beholdGAmtber23 is a splendid one to behold
GAmtber23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Never Never Never

Can you provide any literature regarding this? I've worked in a tire shop the last 3.5 years and have never heard of this. If it were the case, it would make sense for tire and vehicle manufactures not to recommend cross-rotating tires. The only thing I could think of is the tread blocks may have a few hundred miles once crossed that would cause them to ride a little noisier than normal. This would be caused by the tread blocks no longer being the leading/trailing but exact opposite. I would assume after the tires adjust to the new rotation there wouldn't be any severe issues (especially in regards to belt problems). I'm just curious because I've never heard anything from the professionals (TIA) and of course vehicle and tire manufactures. As well as I do plan on rotating my spare into the mix on my first.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:32 AM   #1376
_swede is on a distinguished road

Army: AVN
Name: Kris
_swede's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterM70 View Post
if your in rocky conditions such as I am here in AZ, the 10 ply side walls are invaluable. Plus they are E load bearing and < 10 lbs PSI is fine with how light our trucks are (slow crawling) although I generally run 14 to 16 psi even going at a pretty good clip.

Very true. I was living down in Sierra Vista for a few months and did plenty of wheeling down there in the mountains along the border. I annihilated a set of General Grabbers in about a month (they were on my truck when I bought it CPO) and replaced them with KM2's. Couldn't be happier. The cacti and rocks chewed up the generals and I was putting a plug in at least once per off-road trip. It became pretty routine and I didn't even skip a beat... but definitely night and day with 10 plys. 3 sets later and still not even ONE SINGLE puncture or tear.

I miss AZ!
Old 09-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #1377
a glorious beacon of light
luka is a glorious beacon of lightluka is a glorious beacon of lightluka is a glorious beacon of lightluka is a glorious beacon of lightluka is a glorious beacon of light
Air Force: Jet Mech / Metals Tech
Name: Mike
luka's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
How rough do the Toyos ride? I've seen a few posts where people think they are bone jarring because of the stiff sidewalls. Most people say the bfg is better on road. I want the toyos but not if they are going to be too stiff for the street.
not that rough at all. it handles the bad roads better than my car does.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #1378
Eh?
Dibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Dibblit's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone run the truxus mt from interco? My km2's are almost done. And there are very limited 255/85 tire selections. So far the toyo mt looks like it will going on to replace the km's.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #1379
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibblit View Post
Anyone run the truxus mt from interco? My km2's are almost done. And there are very limited 255/85 tire selections. So far the toyo mt looks like it will going on to replace the km's.
How were the km2's in snow ?
Old 09-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #1380
Atleast it wasn't Green!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: SGT, Cannon Crew Member, A Btry 1-148th FA
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
How were the km2's in snow ?
KM2's do great in the snow! Ice on the other hand is iffy. I ran my tires at 20 psi all last winter with no problems though. They seem to do pretty good on ice aired down a little. Just air them back up when it warms up. 75 mph at 20 psi generates too much heat for the tires when it's warm out. Where I live the high all winter is usually in the 40's so heat isn't much of a concern during winter. Although I'm also a lot heavier than most rigs on this site so I get more flex at 20.