View Poll Results: 255/85 R16's?
My tire of choice has worked great in all conditions 7 58.33%
Ran em but didn't work for me, went wider and am happy I did. 2 16.67%
Ran wide before now run the skinnies and am much happier 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #1721
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone running this size tire with a set of TX Pro faux beadlock wheels?

Any pics of said combo?
Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #1722
Previously "MGMTacoFF"
CanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
CanisLupus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcadams View Post

Any pics of said combo?
Yeah, let me see if I can dig up some pictures.

Edit - Here ya go.

Matt
Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #1723
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Any pics of said combo?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #1724
chenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Any pics of said combo?
For those of you running this combo, what trimming/removal did you need to do and does it still rub anywhere?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #1725
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenbro View Post
For those of you running this combo, what trimming/removal did you need to do and does it still rub anywhere?
haven't tried stuffing it yet but for everyday driving it does rub on full lock in reverse
Old 01-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #1726
Burntorange817 is on a distinguished road

Name: Logan
Burntorange817's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm running at about 2.5" of lift and removed the flaps..other than that I don't rub at all unless at full lock and in reverse like others have said.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #1727
Retired Senior NCO
sfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shedsfcadams is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired U.S. Army Air Defender
Name: Dan
sfcadams's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the pics guys...
Old 01-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #1728
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
Nice truck. That tonneau cover really beefs up the look of the bed and overall look of the truck. Also, sweet wheels
Old 01-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #1729
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
I am aware of this also. But when someone measures brand new tires of the "same" size on the same rims, at the same PSI with the same truck, and one's 31.5" and the other's 32.7", that tells you something.

I really don't give a shit if people get the trxus MT. Was just trying to provide a heads up if someone's looking for a "true" 33" and gets bummed when they're tiny (for a 255/85).
sounds like you give a whole bunch of shits to me! so some guy was upset on the internet, who gives a shit. might have been a problem with the tires he bought, who knows, some ppl have a different perception of things than normal ppl...
Old 01-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #1730
FMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Hospital Corpsman
Name: Topher
FMF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did not need any trimming. But I did remove the stock mudflaps.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:43 PM   #1731
Deidara7117 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
Deidara7117's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I'm going to wait for this size for my next tire when I would consider re-gearing

I ended up with 275/70/17 Hankooks ATm's

Not as cool , but there it is

sooo to use this tire size automatic's have to re gear?
Old 01-13-2014, 09:44 PM   #1732
Previously "MGMTacoFF"
CanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanisLupus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deidara7117 View Post
sooo to use this tire size automatic's have to re gear?
You don't have to but they are a taller tire, so they change how the truck drives.

Matt
Old 01-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #1733
RacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedRacecarGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RacecarGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
You don't have to but they are a taller tire, so they change how the truck drives.

Matt
What kind of changes to the way they drive? I was interested in this size tire, but I have an auto and now you got me worried.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #1734
Previously "MGMTacoFF"

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacecarGuy View Post
What kind of changes to the way they drive? I was interested in this size tire, but I have an auto and now you got me worried.
It just changes MPG and engine power because the truck has to work a little harder to turn the taller tires. Changes how gearing works because the gears are made to work with a smaller diameter tire.

Matt
Old 01-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #1735
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
It still drives fine, it just tends to gear hunt a little more at 75 mph on the freeway. This is caused by a couple things. They are taller and heavier so this means they are harder to turn and because they are taller you run at a lower RPM at specific speeds than before which means you are making less power at that speed than before. You combine those and it will tend to downshift more often to make up for it.

I wouldn't say you are hurting for power by any means. Once it downshifts you can still cruise right along easy.

I am running 4.88's with my 255/85R16 KM2's with an auto, but I regeared for 2 major reasons, 1 I plan to go to much bigger tires eventually and 2 I had blown up 1 OEM ring gear and had a 2nd OEM one about ready to blow so I said screw it and went to a stronger ring gear.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #1736
FMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shedFMF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: FMF Hospital Corpsman
Name: Topher
FMF's Tacoma Gallery
I went from a 265/75 16 to a 255/85 16 both where KM2'a and the truck has more pep and it's an automatic off road with stock gears. I think the skinnier tires are much kinder to our drivetrains
Old 01-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #1737
Wolftaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Luke
Wolftaco's Tacoma Gallery
Who's running the Toyo M55 in this size? Any long term reports? I know these tires are tough. Been reading this thread for a while and am looking for a stout tire to take to Alaska/Yukon. Seems most run MTs. Also excited that Cooper is about the release ST Maxx in this size!
Old 01-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #1739
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Wow! Very nice

What color is your truck? Is it black or dark grey?
Old 01-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #1740
TacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to beholdTacoTaro is a splendid one to behold

TacoTaro's Tacoma Gallery
It's black but very dusty from last off road trip. First impressions on the Toyos are very positive vs the KM1's they replaced. I will test them out on some mild trails this weekend.