Ran wide before now run the skinnies and am much happier 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #1781
SpeedwayTaco160 is on a distinguished road

Army: I do my work at night
Name: Ray
SpeedwayTaco160's Tacoma Gallery
will a 255/75/17 fit on a dcsb with no lift???
Old 02-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #1783
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
So I got myself some new shoes for my ride. My 285/75R16 Fierce Attitudes were really worn out and it was time for a change. I picked up a set of 255/85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx. I really like these, a very aggressive AT but not as aggressive as an MT. Plus they are made on the STT carcass so they are very tough. Tomorrow I get my alignment done.

So far just driving around today I really like them. The truck is smoother and quieter already.

I will give you an off road report next week when we take them and the truck up to Sedona and run Broken Arrow.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #1784
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Are those on 16x7 or 16x8? Did you get a chance to measure them?
Old 02-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #1785
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Nice! Are those on 16x7 or 16x8? Did you get a chance to measure them?
They are 16x8. I have not had a chance to measure or take a front shot as well. Hope to do that today.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #1786
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
must say I am impressed with my KM2's in the snow. We didn't get jack last year so I had no real first hand info, but this year we had a few storms with 10" plus and I have yet to slide out or get stuck. I was going to sipe them, but I see no need now.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:43 AM   #1787
chenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shedchenbro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
chenbro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
must say I am impressed with my KM2's in the snow. We didn't get jack last year so I had no real first hand info, but this year we had a few storms with 10" plus and I have yet to slide out or get stuck. I was going to sipe them, but I see no need now.
How does it handle in slush vs pow? I don't have any weight in the back of my truck and the AT's handle powder ok but slush is pretty bad..
Old 02-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #1788
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
So I got myself some new shoes for my ride. My 285/75R16 Fierce Attitudes were really worn out and it was time for a change. I picked up a set of 255/85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx. I really like these, a very aggressive AT but not as aggressive as an MT. Plus they are made on the STT carcass so they are very tough. Tomorrow I get my alignment done.

So far just driving around today I really like them. The truck is smoother and quieter already.

I will give you an off road report next week when we take them and the truck up to Sedona and run Broken Arrow.

I looked on coopers site and didn't see that size. Where did you buy them?
Old 02-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #1789
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They are 16x8. I have not had a chance to measure or take a front shot as well. Hope to do that today.
Gotcha thanks for the response. I found a guy who measured then on expo with 16x8" but no 16x7" yet. I may be the first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
They just came out and coopers site doesn't reflect the size yet. You can get then through any cooper dealer, although they're back ordered (at least when I checked a couple weeks ago). Tirerack has them as well as the local big brand.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #1790
AKA Crash Bandicoot
ChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shedChamYota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: National Guard: Infantry/ROTC Cadet
Name: Cam
ChamYota's Tacoma Gallery
That is the tire I'm gonna get when meh nittos wear out or someone buys them...

the STT maxx looks really good and it's not a M/T so that'll be even better.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #1791
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChamYota View Post

the STT maxx looks really good and it's not a M/T so that'll be even better.

Feeling the same way. Happy to find an aggressive all terrain in this size.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:17 AM   #1792
Quote:
Originally Posted by teneighty View Post
I got mine from discount tire. They don't show on their site either but if you call they have them. Mine took 4 days to get in direct from Cooper so I doubt they are on national back order right now.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #1793
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenbro View Post
How does it handle in slush vs pow? I don't have any weight in the back of my truck and the AT's handle powder ok but slush is pretty bad..

I gots heavy ass end bumpa so no issues there + I still have a quarter cord of wood in my truck from last weekends camp trip

I see no way a MT would be better in ice or slush than a AT but I could be wrong

I never had rear end sliding issues when I had my mechanical LSD or now that I'm open. First storm we had I spent a good hour in a parking lot trying to learn how the open would react in emergency situations because I was so used to my LSD. I still don't have the open rear down pat yet, but a few more storms and Ill be a pro again
Old 02-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #1794
curmudgeon

TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got mine from discount tire. They don't show on their site either but if you call they have them. Mine took 4 days to get in direct from Cooper so I doubt they are on national back order right now.
That's good news!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:28 AM   #1795
mike2100 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mike2100's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I gots heavy ass end bumpa so no issues there + I still have a quarter cord of wood in my truck from last weekends camp trip

I see no way a MT would be better in ice or slush than a AT but I could be wrong

I never had rear end sliding issues when I had my mechanical LSD or now that I'm open. First storm we had I spent a good hour in a parking lot trying to learn how the open would react in emergency situations because I was so used to my LSD. I still don't have the open rear down pat yet, but a few more storms and Ill be a pro again
Open diff actually means less tendency for rear to slide
Old 02-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #1796
mike2100 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
mike2100's Tacoma Gallery
Major Traction Advantage

The traction advantage of 255/85-16 KM2s touted by earlier posters is NOT hype.

I spent the majority of the day yesterday driving muddy, rutted, snow covered trails with a handful of other similar, small 4wd vehicles equipped with at least rear lockers. They had either 285 Duratracs or 285 KM2s.
The 255 KM2s provided the best traction by far, and my truck had the least problem getting around.

I can't attribute my success to any modifications as my truck is an otherwise stock Off Road (rear e-locker).
I also can't take credit for skill, because this was my 4th off road experience.

My truck tractored through everything at a slow and steady pace with minimal use of the skinny pedal, minimal spinning, and minimal sideways sliding. Not much drama at all, save for rubbing against two trees.

DO NOT BUY 255 KM2s if you don't want to get bored. I would have been in danger of real boredom yesterday if not for a few things: 1) Hanging out with good people 2) being so new to off roading and 3) hitting stuff with the bottom of my rear bumper and crushing my trailer plug.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #1797
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
AT's are definitely superior on ice. It is well known that MT's are bad on ice. I think MT's are superior in slush though. More gaps in the tread for the slush to go. The hardest part of deep slush is pushing it out of the way of the tires. That will pull the vehicle all over the place. I can haul ass through some pretty deep slush with my KM2's and not even know it's there.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #1798
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

My Hankook MT's were definitely better on slush / wet snow than my Hankook ATm's
Old 02-20-2014, 09:06 AM   #1799
Furious George is on a distinguished road
Furious George's Tacoma Gallery
I've read pretty much the whole thread (long read) and I still have a few questions just to confirm before I spend $1183 on the KM2s. The more I read the more confusing it got, ie - it fits, it doesnt fit, etc.

I have a 2013 access cab trd offroad, with the stock 16" rims. I am going to purchase a 2.5" lift kit (brand to be determined) with UCAs. I plan to use the stock rims with the KM2s (I really like the look of the stockers)

Will this setup work for me without having to cut/trim/remove mudflaps. My offroading is light, mostly logging trails and sandy/muddy ground. No rocks to crawl around here.

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks for your time.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #1800
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
When you guys are hammering the pinch weld flat which direction do you hammer to? towards the engine or towards the fender? I just bought a set of 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns and trying to get ready for a wheeling trip this weekend.

Pics for proof and to show off the new tires.