Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

'Bout to order these wheels. Back space question.

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
DirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dino
DirtyTacos's Tacoma Gallery
'Bout to order these wheels. Back space question.

So Im ordering these Mickey Thompson Classic Lock's in black. The only 17" of this rim they sell is a 17x8 with a 4" back spacing. I want a 3.5 back space but will a 4" look good, does it make that much of a difference?? And i DONT want wheel spacers...Im smarter than that. But Let me know what you guys think about the MT's

Old 05-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #2
DirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtyTacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anyone.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
What size tire are you planning on running?
Do you have a lift? If so how much?

EDIT: NM on the lift. See in your avitar u have 2.5" kings
Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #4

I have the 2.5 kings set at 1.5" in the front
Old 05-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ok. But what size tire do you plan on running? That's the real question that needs to be answered.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #6

I would like to try and squeez a 285 in there. If not just gonna stay at 265. Im still deciding.

EDIT: Not 17"....I ment to say 16" in the thread title. My bad.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyTacos View Post
I would like to try and squeez a 285 in there. If not just gonna stay at 265. Im still deciding.

EDIT: Not 17"....I ment to say 16" in the thread title. My bad.
Wheel size doesn't matter.

The sweet spot for 285's for your truck is a 4.5" BS. Anything more and you'll rub the frame/sway bar. Less BS pushes the wheel father away from the hub. With a 4" BS you'll clear all the internals just fine, but you're going to rub into rubbing issues on the front fender and the cab mounts. Both are completely fixable with a grinder, zip ties and a big fucking hammer though.

Do some searches on cab mount chops.

EDIT: Damnit I can't type today. You'll have to trim the fender LINER, not the actual fender.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #8

Will do. Thanks. Have you done this to a 2nd gen or just ur 1st? Sick truck BTW. Gotta love 'em KINGS they have never let me down.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyTacos View Post
Will do. Thanks. Have you done this to a 2nd gen or just ur 1st? Sick truck BTW. Gotta love 'em KINGS they have never let me down.
I'm well versed in many modern 4x4 Toyotas.
Aside from the 1st gen Tacoma, I have a 06 Tundra and a the wife has a 07 4runner (all 4x4's and lifted). The 4runner is nearly identical to the 2nd gen tacoma. I've also lifted my buddies 2nd gen Tacoma so I've been down this route before.

At a 4" BS you will for sure have to clip the fender liner. If I were you, I'd bring up your kings to 2.5-3". You might be able to get away with not doing the CMC, but it's pretty easy if you have access to someone with a welder and gives you extra clearance in full lock/compression situations.

I'm very happy with my kings in the rear and the fox's up front.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #10

Ohh good deal. Thats cool the wife let you jack up her 4runner.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #11

^^^ Wow, That looks really good. Well done.

And thanks.