Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Another tire question. Down to one brand and can't decide!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
trdtaco10 will become famous soon enough

trdtaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Another tire question. Down to one brand and can't decide!

I know what your thinking not another pointless tire question but this is dealing with BFG's new tire the Rugged Terrain. I had the Rugged FAILS on it from the factory and as everyone knows they suck. I found a set of FJ wheels with KOs on them used and now they need replacing. I do probably 90-95% driving highway right now but I like having a the A/T incase I want to play a little. I found the KO's took about 2 mpg but I love everything else about them. I was planning on replacing them with KOs again until I found these that look like a cross between the KO and Rugged FAIL. So now I'm not so sure about which to get. I was wondering, 1.) If anyone has ventured out and got a set of the new rugged terrains and if so how are they, 2.) Anyone think MPG would be any different (putting the same size on), and 3.) What do y'all think of the new tire?
Thanks in advance!

Heres the new tire I'm talking about incase everyone hasn't seen it. And I think everyone knows what a KO looks like.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Barely 45min and you're bumping? Go beat off, fall asleep wake up, chisel your crusty boxers off your shriveled wiener, take a piss then come back and see if anyone has posted.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
The way I look at it is if you're were happy with the KOs why not just make it easy and get another set?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
what are those tires called?

oh "rugged terrain" ? havent heard of them

get some bridgestone revo2's they sound like what you need
Old 05-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Barely 45min and you're bumping? Go beat off, fall asleep wake up, chisel your crusty boxers off your shriveled wiener, take a piss then come back and see if anyone has posted.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Everybody (including me now) who has the Hankook DynaPro ATm tires loves them... They are quiet on the highway, don't lower gas mileage, and work great off road! Why support BFG when they let us down so badly with the Rugged Trails?
Old 05-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
I know it was quick. I made a late post on my part. I should have posted a few days ago. I went and talked to the tire guy today and he is bringing a set in for me to look at.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Everybody (including me now) who has the Hankook DynaPro ATm tires loves them... They are quiet on the highway, don't lower gas mileage, and work great off road! Why support BFG when they let us down so badly with the Rugged Trails?
True Rugged Trails are a downfall but I havent heard anything bad about the rest. You have a pic of them on your truck?
Old 05-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #10
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
The rugged trails aren't a downfall, they're just fuck ass old. And really, when you have the tires that Goodyear is putting out you need to step up your game. (No I'm not talking about Duratracs, those are in a different field.)

They've had the BFG Long Trails which are a highway version of the Rugged Trails, and they've been really good so far.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the Bridgestone Revo 2's.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
Blasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlasphemous is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
Blasphemous's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Or go change your oil.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #13
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
The BFG rugged trails tires that come from the factory are cheap. That is why Toyota uses them on our trucks. They do work on and offroad, but they only last about 25K miles and they're done. The rugged terrains don't look all that much better to me.

If I were you OP, I'd compare the weight of the tires to see if it's going to hurt your MPG. The heavier the tire the more it's going to hurt your pocketbook in the longrun. I think the rugged trails on our trucks are 36 lb each.

If I could, I'd have two sets of tires, one for all the highway and city driving and another set to offroad with.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdtaco10 View Post
True Rugged Trails are a downfall but I havent heard anything bad about the rest. You have a pic of them on your truck?
Of course... like my other photos, I have posted them so much... the nags here start yelling at me! LOL

(The avatar pic of me in the snow is with the DynaPros as well)

These were taken as I got home from the tire shop, 2 miles away... the air pressure was about 25 psi (from them), so they look a bit low in the photos... and I right away raised them to 35 psi, and they are at 34 psi now... They feel great at that amount.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
cartage1 will become famous soon enoughcartage1 will become famous soon enough
cartage1's Tacoma Gallery
The dyna pros may be ok, but I will bang the drum for General Grabber AT2's as a tire that I will continue to buy over and over (trade in the trucks before they wear out). Over 16/32s tread and a 60k warranty. Aggressive, mostly quiet, and performs exceptionally well. I run a commercial truck fleet full of Generals and they build a great tire. I was skeptical because of the lack of name recognition, but do yourself a favor and at least read some reviews on them, and save yourself some money!!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:28 PM   #16

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cartage1 View Post
The dyna pros may be ok, but I will bang the drum for General Grabber AT2's as a tire that I will continue to buy over and over (trade in the trucks before they wear out). Over 16/32s tread and a 60k warranty. Aggressive, mostly quiet, and performs exceptionally well. I run a commercial truck fleet full of Generals and they build a great tire. I was skeptical because of the lack of name recognition, but do yourself a favor and at least read some reviews on them, and save yourself some money!!
Yes they do look good.. The dealer where I got the Hankooks was also a GT dealer... The GT AT2 was about $200 and the Hankook ATm was $140. I originally wanted the Grabber Red Letter tires, but they are still not available in our stock height size (265/75-16) and at $220 are a bit much!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #17
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Of course... like my other photos, I have postem them so much... the nags here start yelling at me! LOL

(The avatar pic of me in the snow is with the DynaPros as well)

These were taken as I got home from the tire shop, 2 miles away... the air pressure was about 25 psi (from them), so they look a bit low in the photos... and I right away raised them to 35 psi, and they are at 34 psi now... They feel great at that amount.
Hey David, why did you go with the passenger rated tire and not the LT (light truck) version of the tire? There is a price difference for sure... Just wondering why.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #18

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Hey David, why did you go with the passenger rated tire and not the LT (light truck) version of the tire? There is a price difference for sure... Just wondering why.
Sure... it's an Obama thing. The economy has crushed my business so bad I needed the lower priced tires... BUT, the BFGs our trucks are sold with are also P rated... so its not like I went to something sub-standard for the truck.

So far, at 5,000 miles they still look new and have performed great.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #19

Crom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sure... it's an Obama thing. The economy has crushed my business so bad I needed the lower priced tires... BUT, the BFGs our trucks are sold with are also P rated... so its not like I went to something sub-standard for the truck.

So far, at 5,000 miles they still look new and have performed great.
Right. That makes sense. Sorry to hear finances are tough. I know what you mean. I was planning on a lift for my truck but I'm bailing on that idea for a few years until I get the truck paid off first.

I used the heck out of my rugged trails. I should take a picture of them. The sidewalls have been rubbed so badly the white lettering is almost gone and the tread has been torn away from the rocks in several locations. I got about 4,500 to go before I stick a fork in them. I'd doing a lot of city and highway driving to I'm glad to run them down on the streets.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #20

Well I broke down today after seeing the new BFG's that the tire shop brought in for me to look at, and bought them. The picture doesn't do them justice. They are a pretty mean A/T tire. I took some picks and will have them up soon.