Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Larger tire size

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
drtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrtydru is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dru
drtydru's Tacoma Gallery
Larger tire size

Hello,

I just bought an 08 regular cab 4x4 that has the stock 16 inch wheels as far as i can tell. The tires are about dead and I wanted to go with a 17 inch wheel and tire combo. I am wondering 1, will this work? And 2, what a good tire for mostly street/freeway driving with a dirt bike trip every other week or so. So not an off road tire or anything aggressive but something that wont go to shit on a rutted fire road.

Any info would be much appreciated. Im a newb so take it easy

Thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
17's should work since I believe the sports all come with them. As long as you backspacing is correct there shouldn't be a problem. I think I would stick with a all terrain tire for what you want to do. I've run Michelin MTX AT's on my truck since it was new and they are great on the highway and do pretty well in mild offroading. Plus they last for 100,000 miles so it's all win on that. If by dirt bike trip you mean in the sand then IDK cause we don't have that stuff around here...lol Good luck!!

Murph
Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
rbp246 is on a distinguished road
rbp246's Tacoma Gallery
17s

I just recently put 17s on my 06 Tacoma so ya it will work. Just have to find the right ones. I used a 265/70R17 BFG A/T.
Attached Thumbnails
Larger tire size-rear-truck.jpg   Larger tire size-side-truck.jpg  
Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
265/70/17 is the biggest you can go. BFG ATs are great tires. They look good, traction is good and they last if you drive nice.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #5
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
The advice above is good. As for tires, I would reccomend Hankook Dynapro ATMs. Minimal drop in MPG for an all-terrain tire, performs well in a variety of conditions, lasts very long for an AT, and is a lot cheaper than the BFGs.