Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

My Falkens will weight 56lbs., won't this kill mpgs.

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
Dakota 08 is on a distinguished road
Dakota 08's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy My Falkens will weight 56lbs., won't this kill mpgs.

I ordered a set of 265/75/16 Falken Wildpeaks a few days ago and just realized they weight in at 56 lbs. each .... probably due to the 3 ply sidewall. I've heard great reviews on these tires and am not worried about performance on and off road. I'm just worried their weight is really going to hurt my mpg's. I tried to stay with a smaller tire to avoid this problem.

What do you think? Will this weight have a major effect on mpg's.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Check to see how much the stock stuff weighs.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
ExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shedExpoSpy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
ExpoSpy's Tacoma Gallery
Well if you have OEM tires: BFG Rugged Trail & Bridgstone tires those weigh approx. 37# each and the Dunlop's are 34#. Just for reference when you add 100# you lose 1% mpg.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
1% if you are lucky.
I would say more due to it being rotating mass and that usually eats up gas faster than throwing 100 lbs in the bed.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
1% if you are lucky.
I would say more due to it being rotating mass and that usually eats up gas faster than throwing 100 lbs in the bed.
Damn, that sucks. Well, I will be dropping in an AFE Pro Dry filter.... any thing else to get back my soon-to-be gone mpg's?? (other than to drive with an egg under my foot.) Did Toyota do a pretty good job of maxing out fuel efficiency in their engines??
Old 05-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Just drive easy.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
anybody know why Falken would only make their 265/75/16 with a 3 ply, whereas you have the option of ordering their 285/75/16 in 2 or 3 ply??
Old 05-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
KevLot17 will become famous soon enoughKevLot17 will become famous soon enough

Name: Kevin
KevLot17's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered a set of these.. 285/70/17.. not worried much about MPG, just looks haha.. my daily driver '91 2wd 5 speed gets 27mpg
Old 05-20-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
3 ply is the equivalent to a C load range. It's still considered a "light truck" tire. It shouldn't make that big of a difference in mileage.

I have 4ply (D load range) 285's. I wish I could have gotten them in 3 ply to save some weight.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
1% if you are lucky.
Nailed it....well done.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
thinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedthinkingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thinkingman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhk View Post
Wheel weight will have affect on start/stop mpg, but very little effect. Zero effect on highway mpg.

What most people screw up on when changing out wheels is that they fail to account for the increased wheel circumference when calculating MPG. The miles listed on the odometer are only correct for the stock wheels and gearing. If you increase the wheel size, the odometer will read low and MPG will follow it down.
The genius weighs in again.
It looks like the OP is going with OE tire size that weigh considerably more than stock.....not changing out wheels.
Additionally, a change in the rotating mass is amplified by the point on the radius where the weight is added...the farther out on the radius, the greater the influence.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
The genius weighs in again.
It looks like the OP is going with OE tire size that weigh considerably more than stock.....not changing out wheels.
Additionally, a change in the rotating mass is amplified by the point on the radius where the weight is added...the farther out on the radius, the greater the influence.
+ its probably got more aggresive thread. Your actual MPG are fugged. My prediction..-2mpg
Old 05-20-2011, 07:02 PM   #13
Update.... just had the tires mounted and balanced and although they have a bad ass looking tread pattern and are super quiet on the road, they feel heavier than hell!! I went back to the spec sheet on the Falken website and the load/ply number is E/10. Correct me if I'm wrong please; does that mean it has a 5 ply sidewall?? I'm confused why Falken offers their 285/75'/16 in a D/8, yet my smaller tire has to be an E/10. Many of you run the Hankook Dynapro's. Should I find a way to switch these out, or am I just being too over sensitive??
Old 05-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #14
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
How heavy are my falkens?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #15
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 08 View Post
Update.... just had the tires mounted and balanced and although they have a bad ass looking tread pattern and are super quiet on the road, they feel heavier than hell!! I went back to the spec sheet on the Falken website and the load/ply number is E/10. Correct me if I'm wrong please; does that mean it has a 5 ply sidewall?? I'm confused why Falken offers their 285/75'/16 in a D/8, yet my smaller tire has to be an E/10. Many of you run the Hankook Dynapro's. Should I find a way to switch these out, or am I just being too over sensitive??
the "10" is a Bias ply equivelant rating. Odds are, its still a 2 ply sidewall.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
SOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shedSOSHeloPilot is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Helicopter Pilot - RVN
SOSHeloPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingman View Post
Nailed it....well done.
... ^^^ ... Ditto ...
Old 05-20-2011, 10:19 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
How heavy are my falkens?
Sorry man, but I don't get the comment. From checking out your build page, I would guess they weigh the same as mine?? How have you liked them? Any complaints?