Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Wanting to rotate my tires but have a concern!

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Wanting to rotate my tires but have a concern!

BFG All Terrain A/t 285/70/17 load range D
40k ish miles

I have a cut from crawling that runs almost half of the tire it is in the upper part of the side wall in the tread (where a cap would be.)

Now the cut is various depths the deepest being slightly <1/8th" using a piece of paper and almost to the forehead of Abraham Lincoln using a Penny. I speculate that the penny is thicker thus not allowing it to fit as deep as the envelope I was using.

Its on the rear of the truck and I have kept it their intentionally, avoiding rotations for in case it would blow out I would much rather it in the rear.

Whats say the TW guys/gals, should I leave it in the rear, are am I being too cautions?

My camera is not able to catch the cut with any clarity worth posting. They say you have to be 2% smarter than the tool you are using, I may have failed at that aspect of things.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Eric
85yote09taco's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I'm no expert but I feel that you are doing the right thing. I guess that is what I would do if I were in your situation, until I could get a replacement and use that tire as a desperate spare.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I'm also no expert but a cut tire is never a good sign and just raises your chances quite a bit for a blow out which is never a good thing at high speeds.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
I support a velociraptor free workplace.
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marcelasaurus
BrokenTusk's Tacoma Gallery
I am actually a trained expert haha

Worked kal tire here in canada for 7 months when i was 17, post up a pic of your fear and i'll let you know
Old 05-23-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If you're going to keep it on the truck, I'd do what you are doing now and keep it on the back. I know it sucks, but you should think about getting 2 new tires (with 40k miles of wear you probably wouldn't want to replace just a single tire, at least replace the tire on the opposite side with it). Expensive trail damage but your safety is important! Even a rear tire blow out at highway speed wouldn't be a fun experience...
Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Pictures are up loading as I type.

Now keep in mind this cut has been on the truck for a while i'd guess around a year. I honestly don't feel that it is a threat with basic vehicle use. You won't see me crawling with these tires again or any serious wheeling. I have tried to find how think the side wall on this tire is but haven't had any luck yet. I just started to look for thickness when I made the original post, I've been on the BFG website and I also stayed on hold for 10 minutes but gave up and will try the call again tomorrow.

Glad to see that there are others that think like I do.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
BrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrokenTusk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

At first I thought you meant the lil chunk of missing tread, but your talking about the cut right? that circles the ENTIRE tire? Also, is that cut on the inside of the tire as well? If I had to guess, it almost looks like you got a re-treaded tire that is starting to become seperated...

Did you buy those? Buy them New? Used?
Old 05-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #9
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I would replace it
Old 05-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
I would replace it
x2
Old 05-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
Morto un papa, se ne fa un'altro
motorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmotorsport36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: EOD TEU1, MU 8, BUD/s 225, MA 9545
Name: Jason
motorsport36's Tacoma Gallery
dying isn't fun and a tire can't be that much...replace it
Old 05-23-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
Poodoo

luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTusk View Post
At first I thought you meant the lil chunk of missing tread, but your talking about the cut right? that circles the ENTIRE tire? Also, is that cut on the inside of the tire as well? If I had to guess, it almost looks like you got a re-treaded tire that is starting to become seperated...

Did you buy those? Buy them New? Used?

Brand new tires. The cut is only about 1/2 way around this tire and stays in that upper section where the tread is. No cuts on the inside of the tire. This cut was caused by rocks in Arkansas while wheeling. Its not coming apart. The cut is also about 1/8" deep.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Brand new tires. The cut is only about 1/2 way around this tire and stays in that upper section where the tread is. No cuts on the inside of the tire. This cut was caused by rocks in Arkansas while wheeling. Its not coming apart. The cut is also about 1/8" deep.
Well, if I was tire shop working, I'd say it's a sidewall cut and to junk it so you would buy a new tire or set of tires. But it looks close enough to the outside tread that i'd say you probably missed all the wires.

and I mean Probably, with your load rating those tires are normally aired up around 40ish PSI correct? which means if even 1 wire is broken, your tire could "Zipper". Meaning, 1 wire breaks, then 1 more, then 2 more, then 3 then boom. It's not fun, I've been near 100 psi semi tires that zippered.

You have two choices, poor mans is: flash light up close examine every little section of the cut, use a dull flat head screw driver to spread the rubber at the cut a little bit at each part. if you even see an exposed wire, then shes a blow waiting to happen. If you don't see any wires, keep er below 55-60 so if it ever does blow (say you hit a pothole) then you can recover easier below those speeds.

But If you've got the coin, replace it. and replace its pair like the previous guy said
Old 05-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
That cut can progress very quickly the minute tire pressure drops a bit (say, on a cold day) and the sidewall flexes a little more. When it fails the tread will probably separate, like those Ford Explorers. Even if you maintain control, the flailing tread can tear up the wheelwell.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #16
neoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neoflex's Tacoma Gallery
I too say replace it. No sense endangering yourself or those around you to save a few bucks. If your going to wheel your truck than you should realize the risk your putting your possibly putting your vehicle in by doing so. Your tire took a beating from a wheeling trip so replace it. Your clearly concerned so avoid the real expensive outcome should it let go and just replace it now cheaply.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #17
TW's number one gear whore
davestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavestaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 99 ZULU
Name: David
davestaco's Tacoma Gallery
i would replace it just because if you keep it you got a bigger chance of a blow out. and if you have ever been stuck on the side of a busy interstate changing a tire on un-even ground you know that its worth every penny for the new reliable tire but thats just my two cents