Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Installed 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ w/ Eagle Alloy 063 rims and now I'm rubbing

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
BAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Ben
BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
Installed 285/60/18 Cooper Zeon LTZ w/ Eagle Alloy 063 rims and now I'm rubbing

Not too happy since everywhee I had read said I wouldnt rub with this size tire and no lift. Guess I'll have to trim
Old 05-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Some do, others talk
jerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedjerretxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerret
jerretxx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAP_29 View Post

Not too happy since everywhee I had read said I wouldnt rub with this size tire and no lift. Guess I'll have to trim
your going to trim a lot. i rub and i have 3" lift.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
It's all in your offset. I ran those tires on stock suspension with only the mud flaps removed and no trimming, and I had no rubbing issues.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
BAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the roughBAP_29 is a jewel in the rough

BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah its crazy. There's a guy on here with silver doublecab that has XD monsters and the same tires. I thought the offet on my wheels was the same as his cause he didnt rub. But apparently not.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
neoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neoflex's Tacoma Gallery
Don't feel bad because I just put on Monsters with the -12 offset and 4.5 BS with the Nitto Terra Grappler (285/60/18) and I rubbed like crazy before trimming the fender flares on the front and back of the wheel well. I still rub a little bit in the fender well but have not had the time to find exactly where it's still rubbing so I will need to find the time tomorrow to see whats still making contact and start trimming some more. Nothing a heated razor blade won't cut through I'm sure. Still not sure how guys are saying they ran this set up with no trimming and no rubbing. It does not even seem possible. When the guys backed my truck out of the bay today they stopped dead in their tracks before jumping out all concerned. I knew exactly where it would be rubbing and told them not to sweat it as I figured I would be trimming once I got home anyway. I will probably order some 5100s next week so I am sure with that all rubbing will be remedied unless I get it done with trimming. Just trying to avoid trimming the wheel well liner because once that is cut I would imagine all sorts of dirt, mud and who knows what else will build up behind it and could lead to rust issues. Again, I still don't think guys are being 100% honest about running this set up and not rubbing without any trimming whatsoever. Either that or my truck with 15,000 miles has a real saggy front end.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Wild Ginger
BrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrettBretterson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BrettBretterson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
Again, I still don't think guys are being 100% honest about running this set up and not rubbing without any trimming whatsoever.
Why would anyone lie about this? Once again, it's all in your wheel offset.

This post makes me ALMOST wish I was still running these tires so that I could take pictures of the wheel wells and show you NO rubbing with only the mud flaps removed and no trimming done whatsoever.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #8
neoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shedneoflex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
neoflex's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same offset/backspace and tire combo as some of the guys who said they are not rubbing or didn't rub before a lift without having to do any trimming. I just don't see how it is even possible. I am running the XD Monster, 18x9, -12offset, 4.5BS with the 285/60/18 Terra Grappler and my truck rubbed like it was it's job. 2010 Pre-Runner DC with 15K on the clock so it's not like my suspension is sagging from long hard years offroad. I am going to be doing 5100s to level things out so I am hoping that it will give the extra little clearance I need to stop rubbing completely without having to cut up the wheel well liner.
My only other gripe is the cheesy way Toyota put the mud flaps on. You would think they would run the protective tape like they do on the front of the flare on the bed behind the mudflaps so if and when you remove them the paints not all rubbed off where the mudflap makes contact with the flare. O'well, I guess they figure most people will never remove them.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:54 AM   #9
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Memebers who are running this setup with no issues include (or included at one time) silvertacozach, beardedweirdo, and chris4x4, so it's surprising to me that others are having issues. My thinking is that this setup is stretching the limits no rubbing, and that tires with an aggressive tread/sidewall will rub, and those without will not. That's just a shot in the dark though

They are only a 32" tire. Btw.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
Eurosport has a spectacular aura aboutEurosport has a spectacular aura about
Eurosport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
I have the same offset/backspace and tire combo as some of the guys who said they are not rubbing or didn't rub before a lift without having to do any trimming. I just don't see how it is even possible. I am running the XD Monster, 18x9, -12offset, 4.5BS with the 285/60/18 Terra Grappler and my truck rubbed like it was it's job. 2010 Pre-Runner DC with 15K on the clock so it's not like my suspension is sagging from long hard years offroad. I am going to be doing 5100s to level things out so I am hoping that it will give the extra little clearance I need to stop rubbing completely without having to cut up the wheel well liner.
My only other gripe is the cheesy way Toyota put the mud flaps on. You would think they would run the protective tape like they do on the front of the flare on the bed behind the mudflaps so if and when you remove them the paints not all rubbed off where the mudflap makes contact with the flare. O'well, I guess they figure most people will never remove them.
imo you're rubbing because you have terra grapplers
same wheels and offset with cooper zeons will not rub, just a different tire design, just like some tires have a more rounded sidewall, others stiffer, etc. terra grapplers must be bigger than the zeons.

as far as OP, you're rubbing because of your wheels, even just from the pics i can tell your offset is not low enough to push those tires more away from the car, it's too much like stock wheel looking as far as offset...
Old 07-12-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
-12 is a pretty big negative offset.

I might guess the guys with no rubbing were at zero offset.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Eurosport has a spectacular aura aboutEurosport has a spectacular aura about
Eurosport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post

nope, they were at -12

unfortunately there's a lot of misinformation in threads that can easily get people confused...and most that i've seen have no clue about wheel width, offsets sizes and what affect it has on a vehicle, then just spread misinfo...
Old 07-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post

Zero offset is 4.5" backspacing on an 8" wide rim
-12 offset is 4.5" backspacing on a 9" wide rim.

The only difference between the two rims is that the second one sticks out 1" further than the other. They both sit at the same distance from the uca.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #14

BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
I ordered the wheels through Mr. Wheel Deal, so I don't know the exact specifications of the rim. They are 18x9 and DO stick out about an 1.5 inches
Old 07-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I ordered the wheels through Mr. Wheel Deal, so I don't know the exact specifications of the rim. They are 18x9 and DO stick out about an 1.5 inches
Ben, the back of the wheel should have some stamping on it. If you post up what it reads and I can tell you the wheel specs.

It should say something like "18x9JJ ET-12" or something like that.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:09 PM   #17
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I don't know where you got your info but you sir, have been horribly mis informed, I don't blame you for being unhappy, I've done 3 cab mount chops for members with 2nd gens & its a "must do".... even if lifted
Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #18
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
I don't know where you got your info but you sir, have been horribly mis informed, I don't blame you for being unhappy, I've done 3 cab mount chops for members with 2nd gens & its a "must do".... even if lifted
Doug there are members running this size with no lift and no issues because its only a 32". See my post below

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Memebers who are running this setup with no issues include (or included at one time) silvertacozach, beardedweirdo, and chris4x4, so it's surprising to me that others are having issues. My thinking is that this setup is stretching the limits no rubbing, and that tires with an aggressive tread/sidewall will rub, and those without will not. That's just a shot in the dark though

They are only a 32" tire. Btw.
In addition to this list I believe brettbretterson is also running this size with no lift.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #19
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Doug there are members running this size with no lift and no issues because its only a 32". See my post below

In addition to this list I believe brettbretterson is also running this size with no lift.

well Keith, I may have jumped the gun a little bit, I'm assuming those with the rubbing complaints are guys that are experiencing these issues while offroading, the cab chops & plastic trimming I've done on 2nd gens are also the same guys I trail with that have all had issues regarding the rubbing while in turns & such (hell, I've seen it myself out there & have actually done the trimming on the trail)

If you're just a bit over sized tire wise & aren't trailing you're rig then I'd say not to expect much if any rubbing, I agree with your post & I'm not doubting you, but if someone is really trailing with 285's on a 2nd gen. without rubbing I'd have to see it for myself I guess (kind of a "show me " thing )
Old 07-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #20

BAP_29's Tacoma Gallery
Its a mystery I know. But I have trimmed quite a bit and have eliminated 80% of the rubbing I'd guess. I've gotten used to it, but it did suck having to cut up that truck, when I was so sure I wouldn't have to.