LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Steel vs. Alloy

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
SPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
SPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Steel vs. Alloy

Probably a widely debated topic, but I couldn't find much on it after a quick search.

I'm looking for some off road/crawler wheels 16x8 to mount my Mud Terrains (eventually KM2's).

The two I've narrowed down to are either the ProComp 98 Series Black wheel or the Black Rock Series 908B Yuma Alloy Wheel in Matte Black. There is a considerable price difference. So, what are the advantages, other than weight, to stick with Alloy? Or vice versa.

Thanks for your insights.

Sport
Old 05-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
SPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC View Post
if your just looking for crawler wheels id stay with steel wheels. no need for alloy if your goin slow
It'll more than likely be my off road/winter shoes. However, I'm sure they'll see some tar time too.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
ERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
ERIC's Tacoma Gallery
Its up to you but most of the time people choose alloy wheels for looks. They are sometimes stronger but most are gravity cast, making them heavy and the weakest way to make an alloy wheel. If they are just strictly for function save your money and go with steel.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
STEEL FTW
Old 05-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #7

SPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
Steel vs Alloy.

You get what you pay for.

Huh? That statement hold true only when comparing apples to apples; not steel to alloy.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
What would Scooby do?
travelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravelingman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
travelingman's Tacoma Gallery
I"m always for stuff that don't rust. Alloys.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Im going with alloy because thats what i have and it does great.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
Somewhere on sabbatical
mountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainwolfpup is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mountainwolfpup's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Yahoo to mountainwolfpup Send a message via Skype™ to mountainwolfpup
STEEL.

I run stock alloys on my truck because I like the looks and am on road most of the time - city dweller.

But off road the steelies are lighter and hey, you can bend them back into shape. Easy to spray paint to prevent 'rust'. Really ideal for the off-road environment. Alloys can crack - yikes!!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainwolfpup View Post
STEEL.

I run stock alloys on my truck because I like the looks and am on road most of the time - city dweller.

But off road the steelies are lighter and hey, you can bend them back into shape. Easy to spray paint to prevent 'rust'. Really ideal for the off-road environment. Alloys can crack - yikes!!
Stealies are lighter?...I don't think so. One thing I do like about stealies is that you can weld rock rings into the lip to keep them from bending. They also look pretty cool.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #12
ERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shedERIC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
ERIC's Tacoma Gallery
actually stealies are lighter...except for oem alloy wheels. Most aftermarket alloy wheels are gravity cast not low pressure cast like oem alloys.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #13
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I went with a low pressure cast alloy wheel there strong and Ive had no problems just a little rock rash but it's no big deal.