Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

wheel size problems?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
switchfoot177 is on a distinguished road
switchfoot177's Tacoma Gallery
wheel size problems?

so im looking at either getting some moto metals or helo maxx 6 on stock sized tires. i came across a problem though. one wheel is 16x8 and one is 16x9. whats the deal there? would i need to change tire size in order tog et one or the other? and if so, how?
Old 10-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
im guessing the stock tire is a 245/75/16 then? if so i'd say that it shouldnt be mounted on the 16x9 as it is too wide of a wheel. to get a tire on there you would need to get at least a metric 265 size or a 10.50 US standard tire width. most tire manufacturerers will post their approved rim sizes for each size tire. that would be a good thing to look up.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #3
switchfoot177 is on a distinguished road
switchfoot177's Tacoma Gallery
oh im sorry i didnt clarify. i am not sure what size it is. wahtever the new tacoma off road TRD ones are? i think 265/70/16? possibly? im not sure
Old 10-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
If..Then..Else
TexasJay is on a distinguished road

Name: Jay
TexasJay's Tacoma Gallery
Does anyone think there would be rubbing issues with an 8 or 9 inch wheel that has a 265/75 r16 tire mounted. I think the tire size is fine on the stock wheel but I don't know about going with a wider wheel.

I plan on installing the Ivan Stewart wheels, which are 8 inches wide, with a 265/75 r16 tire on a stock sr5 suspension. I'm curious if anyone here has tried that.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 10-07-2008, 06:26 PM   #5
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJay View Post
Does anyone think there would be rubbing issues with an 8 or 9 inch wheel that has a 265/75 r16 tire mounted. I think the tire size is fine on the stock wheel but I don't know about going with a wider wheel.

I plan on installing the Ivan Stewart wheels, which are 8 inches wide, with a 265/75 r16 tire on a stock sr5 suspension. I'm curious if anyone here has tried that.

Thanks,
Jay
its all going to depend on the offset of the wheel.