Notices

Comparing stock tire sizes

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
Stereo is on a distinguished road
Name: Laura
Stereo's Tacoma Gallery
Comparing stock tire sizes

This post is sure to show just how green I am.

I didn't know when I was shopping for used Tacos that they came with different stock tire sizes, either 225 75/15 or 265 70/16. Mine has the latter. Obviously, if I were to drop to the smaller size (for economy), I'd need new wheels. What I'd like to know is if the O.E.M. gearing is different for the different sizes. Would I have to re-gear if I went to the smaller tire?
Old 05-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
If you want to go smaller and get better MPGs, try a 245/75 16 Passenger rated tire. It is about an inch skinner but still the same height. The lower rolling resistance and slightly lower weight will help MPGs. I wouldn't go below 30.5" on a 4x4.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
Stereo is on a distinguished road
Name: Laura
Stereo's Tacoma Gallery
215/85R16?

Besides the lack of beefy good looks, is there any reason not to go with a 215/85R16? It's 30.5" diameter, close to my stock size. I need a C-rated tire minimum because I'm putting on a slide-in pop-top camper that will be near max weight. Tires in this size come D or E-rated. I'm reading that skinnier is better for snow traction and even non-sand, non-rock 4-wheeling because you can go around, rather then over stuff (within limits, of course). I'll be going on rough forest roads but doing no hard-core 4-wheeling.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
BRT
BigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedBigRedToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
BigRedToy's Tacoma Gallery
I like wider tires for off road driving because you can air them down. It is honestly up to you and your preferences. 265/75 16 are the smallest tires I would put on my 4x4.