Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Problems associated with 285s

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
Future55 is on a distinguished road
Future55's Tacoma Gallery
Problems associated with 285s

What's up fellas, I'm about to take the leap and buy new wheels and 285s. Ive done plenty of research and this may have been asked many times before, but I did do a search. I know that with 285s there will be a decrease in power and gas mileage, as well as rubbing, but is there anything else I need to be aware of? Drivetrain problems? Brake problems?

Do you guys I'll rub with tc ucas and a ome lift (no top plate spacer)? I'm planning on getting 17" 7089s with duratracs so I guess 285/70/17.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #2
bama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedbama trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
bama trd's Tacoma Gallery
I run 285's on my stock , rubs the UCA's at sharp turns , gonna go with some 1.25" spacers and a 3" lift is coming soon. As long as I'm light on the pedal ,I get good mileage , but I just got away from a Silverado Z71. Oh yeah front mud flaps have to go or trimmed , I know at stock height.
Attached Thumbnails
Problems associated with 285s-028.jpg  
Old 05-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Yea thanks, I forgot to mention that I also know about the speedo/odo potentially being off with 285s but any input is great.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
bump
Old 06-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #5
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Really no problems here. Im running 285/75/R16 KM2s with my OME 3" lift. I don't rub much, after i did some trimming... I also got new wheels with a 4.5 Back Spacing so i clear my UCA now... Im light on the Gas pedal and i do get decent gas mileage for 285s.. There's a little power decrease, the reason is because 285s are an E range tire.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
285/70R17 will still require plastic wheelwell trimming and likely mudflap removal with an OME 3" lift and Tc UCAs.

Cab mount chop may be required, YMMV.

That said, it's a quite common tire size to run with that configuration, and works well.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Any time you lift, there's a chance of driveline vibrations and a small chance of vsc problems.

Your ride will be stiffer and your gas mileage worse.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
What we don't have we make.
Norcan is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerry
Norcan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future55 View Post
Yea thanks, I forgot to mention that I also know about the speedo/odo potentially being off with 285s but any input is great.

Yes your speedo will be off with 285/70/17's the over all side wall height is 1" more than stock so your total wheel height is changing 2".

The easy way to know what the difference is going to be is to 285 X.70 = 199mm (yes that is that metric) Stock tires are 265/65/17 so that would be 265 X.65= 172mm

I doubt you can find a 285/60/17 but if you can the speedo will be bang on. Tirerack did not list any but there is one tire 285/65/17 from yokohama that would be fairly good at 185mm

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:01 PM   #9
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I run 285/70/17's Duratracs on OEM Tundra/Sequoia 17" Alloys. No wheel spacers.

5100's @ 2.5 on stock coils up front. 2" AAL in back. I had to remove the front mudflaps and trim a little plastic. Occassionally I rub the cab mount and the SLIGHTLY rub the UCA when I'm offroad (i'm assuming from sidewall flex). I typically only rub at full lock when turning into a driveway or backing up at full lock.

As far as Gas mileage...yeah it dropped a little bit. but I only lost 15-20 miles per tank which is about 1mpg.

It seems a little more sluggish but because I drive a manual transmission i'm sure it would be a little more noticeable with an auto trans.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #10
Thanks for all the help guys, i guess i just dont want to get myself into a situation where im gonna have to shell out tons of money to fix things.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #11
N8Dizzle is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
N8Dizzle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
Really no problems here. Im running 285/75/R16 KM2s with my OME 3" lift. I don't rub much, after i did some trimming... I also got new wheels with a 4.5 Back Spacing so i clear my UCA now... Im light on the Gas pedal and i do get decent gas mileage for 285s.. There's a little power decrease, the reason is because 285s are an E range tire.

Did you use the top plate spacer for the full 3"? I'm looking at getting the OME kit but would like to keep out the spacer until I can afford new UCA's. I don't know enough to know if that spacer will increase alignment issues or whether the entire lift is already out of stock adjustment spec's.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8Dizzle View Post
Did you use the top plate spacer for the full 3"? I'm looking at getting the OME kit but would like to keep out the spacer until I can afford new UCA's. I don't know enough to know if that spacer will increase alignment issues or whether the entire lift is already out of stock adjustment spec's.
I didn't get the top plate spacer. I got around 2.5 of lift, I'm not 100% how much, because i didn't measure it. If I were you just get the 885s if you have a DC, the top plates are unnecessary till the coils start to sag considerably. I got stock UCA's and no issues here with alignment.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
32" OD tires made my speedo dead on with GPS.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #14
N8Dizzle is on a distinguished road

Name: Nate
N8Dizzle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
I didn't get the top plate spacer. I got around 2.5 of lift, I'm not 100% how much, because i didn't measure it. If I were you just get the 885s if you have a DC, the top plates are unnecessary till the coils start to sag considerably. I got stock UCA's and no issues here with alignment.

Thank you sir. You just made my day, a whole lot better.