1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheelers steelies: Centering rings

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by nvdeserted, May 31, 2011.

1. May 31, 2011 at 11:02 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Howdy,

Just scored 5 Wheeler's steelies, type B on Craigslist, $260 w/crap tires. The ID of the wheel is 110mm, and my hubs are 106mm... do I need to get the centering rings?

The wheels came with some worn out BFG ATs on them (20%), they wobble like a MF on the truck, bad. My first thought was that they just need a balance but after reading some stuff about centering ring/adapters I'm thinking it might be in my best interest to run those too. I'm sure the tires are flawed but I figure I might as well run 'em for a few K. The wobble seems a bit different than from unbalanced tires... very consistant. I did notice some 'play' when mounting the lugs but it seemed like they centered as I torqued them down. The wobble starts at 45mph and gets proportionately worse as speed increases.

Anyone with wheelers steelies need to get centering rings? Kinda curious that Wheeler's doesn't sell them on their site...

Thanks

Edit: they also came with the appropriate Gorilla lugs.

2. Jun 4, 2011 at 11:35 PM
    ssmskot

ssmskot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '07 Base 4x4
    Soft Tonneau. Tint. Toyota bed mat. K&N Air Intake. 265/75/16 BFG AT's. Sport grille. Weathertechs.
    Getting hub centric adapters or the centering rings is probably the first thing I would do. I've def heard of vibration issues when you run a wheel with a larger hub bore.

Products Discussed in

To Top