Don't buy Dunlop !

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
PittsPilot is on a distinguished road
Navy: Naval Intelligence
Name: Michael
PittsPilot's Tacoma Gallery
Don't buy Dunlop !

I was traveling down I-35 last Sunday when my left front tire blew out. I did not run over anything, just down the center of the lane.

The Tacoma handled well getting off the freeway!

I took the tire to my Toyota dealer. They said they did not warranty tires but that they would call Dunlop. Dunlop refused any adjustment because the tire was 2/32" past their margin, and they think I hit a curb although they said there was no proof I hit a curb.

The Dealer, Round Rock Toyota stepped up and gave me a great discount on a set of Bridgestones.

Moral of this story...DO NOT BUY DUNLOP TIRES!
Attached Thumbnails
Don't buy Dunlop !-img_0183.jpg  
Old 06-01-2011, 06:43 AM   #2
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
isnt that the cheapo tire they throw on the truck to get you off the lot?
Old 06-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Damn, they don't even look like they're worn anywhere near the wear bars. What's the 'margin' they were talking about?

And yes, they're the cheap tires some of the Tacomas come with... Although, with a TRD Sport, I'm surprised you didn't have bridgestones to begin with. My SR5 came with those Dunlops but all the TRD Sports all had Bridgestones and TRD Off Roads had Rugged Trails.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
My Stock dunlops lasted almost 60k. You musta had a cut or defect.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #5
They were the original equipment tires. 25,000 miles on them. Still in good shape. I don't know what their margin is. They just did not want to pay. Dunlop lost me for life. And now all of you out there in Taco land can avoid them too. How stupid are they?
Old 06-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
mj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Meg
mj918's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
isnt that the cheapo tire they throw on the truck to get you off the lot?
Yes they are! Cheapies for sure. Glad I got replaced mine.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, those are the ones I got with the truck too. I'll have to replace mine when these wear out.

Hoping you get compensated at least a little bit. If you didn't hit anything I'm wondering what could have caused that.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsPilot View Post

I have nothing against Dunlop. I have run them in the past on other things and they were great. I think the stock ones they chose for the Taco are a poor choice but I will not avoid them entirely.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
Faster than a speeding ticket
Watari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Watari06V6's Tacoma Gallery
your wrong brother- i have 85k on my Dunlop- i'll purchase it again soon

Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
That's funny; I was actually going to place a new thread saying "when I first bought the truck I thought the Dunlops were crap but after driving them for over a year and a half I can say the Grand Treks have been quiet as a mouse and have a super soft ride; it's like driving around on Gummy Bears. I'm actually becoming quite fond of these tires"

They make up for the Dump Truck like suspension. I'm actually looking to buy another low mile set.

Steve
Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #11
Faster than a speeding ticket
Watari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWatari06V6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Watari06V6's Tacoma Gallery
^^right on bro
Old 06-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
muddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shedmuddin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

muddin's Tacoma Gallery
dun-flops
Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 AM   #13
Banned
TacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMatt02's Tacoma Gallery
dunflops
Old 06-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
I know you said you didn't hit anything, but the picture proves otherwise. That kind of puncture can't just happen out of nowhere. Definitely looks like something entered in along the edge closest to the tread.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 AM   #15
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xJuice View Post
I know you said you didn't hit anything, but the picture proves otherwise. That kind of puncture can't just happen out of nowhere. Definitely looks like something entered in along the edge closest to the tread.
x2 That doesn't look like just a blow out, something punctured it whether you saw it or not.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #16
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I was traveling down I-35 last Sunday when my left front tire blew out. I did not run over anything, just down the center of the lane.

The Tacoma handled well getting off the freeway!

I took the tire to my Toyota dealer. They said they did not warranty tires but that they would call Dunlop. Dunlop refused any adjustment because the tire was 2/32" past their margin, and they think I hit a curb although they said there was no proof I hit a curb.

The Dealer, Round Rock Toyota stepped up and gave me a great discount on a set of Bridgestones.

Dulop web site says 60,000 warenty for the grand trek tire. State attorney general might want to hear of this.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #17
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
It's either a defect or a road hazard.

If Dunlop didn't even look at the tire off the rim, how the heck can they tell?
Old 06-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #18
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdpowell View Post
Dulop web site says 60,000 warenty for the grand trek tire. State attorney general might want to hear of this.

Warrenty against manufactures defects or covered against "road hazards" I would guess the first. Also he did not buy them from a shop they came as original equipment, so I don't know how that warrenty would work here.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #19
Nothing hit the tire. What you see is some fiber from inside the tire. Two tire "experts" at the dealership looked at the actual tire, not a picture, and they were clear that there was no external damage to the tire. It just blew up. A defective tire and Dunlop backed away.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #20
My spoon is too Big!
xJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shedxJuice is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
xJuice's Tacoma Gallery
Wasn't talking about the fibers...the abrasion next to the fibers...

Quote:
tire "experts" at the dealership
lulz