Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

The light came on

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #1
Ive got tiger blood
0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Steve
0BlackTaco6's Tacoma Gallery
The light came on

So about a week or two ago i put on some 17" sports with 265/70/17. upgraded from the stock steelies. Well i seemed to get lucky with the tpms light as it never came on. Ive put a couple hundred miles on them and still no light. Well today i went out and did some light trail riding. I come up to a bid of a rutted mud hole and went through. At slow speed but enough to keep cruising throw without getting stuck. I came out the other side of the mud hole and the tpms light came on. Any significance to it coming on then or just coicidence. Im just worried maybe something happened? Any thought as to why it never came on until going through the mud? I jacked this pick from another thread but this is the rutted hole i went through.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Did you check you tire PSI's?
Old 06-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Did you check you tire PSI's?
x2

dont forget the spare as well
Old 06-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #4
Ive got tiger blood
0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold0BlackTaco6 is a splendid one to behold

yea they are all right at 32psi
Old 06-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #5
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0BlackTaco6 View Post
yea they are all right at 32psi
along with the spare?
Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
Ive got tiger blood

the spare i did not check. Why wouldnt it have been on since i swapped everything out?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #8
Ive got tiger blood

i guess i forgot about the spare. ill have to check that tomorrow morning.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
tacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud oftacomadude18 has much to be proud of

Name: carlitos
tacomadude18's Tacoma Gallery
it's the spare.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
Ive got tiger blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Assuming from what you're saying is that the tires you are currently running have no tpms in them? Except for the spare? If so, don't worry, I did the same thing, cept mine took about 40miles for the light to come on.
no the wheels i got from a memeber here had all tpms on the wheels. But i had the 16" steel wheels on my truck before with the 245's. Now i have the 17" with 265/70/17. I just figured the light would have been on right away since it different size and the spare is still there. So it would pick up the 4 17's and the 16" spare
Old 06-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #11
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
no the wheels i got from a memeber here had all tpms on the wheels. But i had the 16" steel wheels on my truck before with the 245's. Now i have the 17" with 265/70/17. I just figured the light would have been on right away since it different size and the spare is still there. So it would pick up the 4 17's and the 16" spare

Don't quote me on this, but I think you have to register the new tpms with your trucks computer. Dealership otta be able to do it, or even a good tire shop, maybe NTB. But first I'd check all pressure including spare to see they are good then hold the tire button in and see if light goes away.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
Ive got tiger blood

yea ill definitely check the spare. I try to eliminate all easy outs before i post a question so i don't look like a shmuck, but apparently my mind wasn't awake tonight. Didn't even think about the spare. Ill check it tomorrow and try resetting. Hopefully it shuts it off.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I think you have to register the new tpms with your trucks computer. Dealership otta be able to do it, or even a good tire shop, maybe NTB. But first I'd check all pressure including spare to see they are good then hold the tire button in and see if light goes away.
you are correct about registering it the truck

Quote:
yea ill definitely check the spare. I try to eliminate all easy outs before i post a question so i don't look like a shmuck, but apparently my mind wasn't awake tonight. Didn't even think about the spare. Ill check it tomorrow and try resetting. Hopefully it shuts it off.
haha dont worry about it man its all good
Old 06-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #14
Ive got tiger blood

but i guess im still wondering why it hasnt been on this entire time. Im not complaining, just curious. I never registered them with the truck or reset anything when me and my dad mounted and balanced these wheels and tires. Im hoping as said before that when i check the spare ill be good but did i just get lucky not having it on before this?
Old 06-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #15
Ive got tiger blood

ok so im guessing something is messed up. I checked all the tire pressures including the spare and set them all at the same. After reading through the manual in a few different spots, if im reading it right, the light usually just comes on and stays on when tire pressure is low. Is this correct? My light isnt just staying on, its blinking. Im assuming that means some sort of malfunction? After i adjusted all the pressures i went to do a reset as described in the manual. I turn the key to on and the tpms light comes on and stays on for about 5 seconds then goes back to blinking. I pushed and held the reset button for a few seconds. The only thing that happened is the blinking slowed a little bit and then when i released the button it went back to blinking at the normal speed. When you do the reset it says it will blink 3 times when initiation is complete. My light is already blinking. Something is probably wrong huh? Did i somehow mess up a sensor or something going through that hole?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:00 AM   #16
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
If you are using the stock TPMS that came with the original wheels, you do not have to have them programmed to the truck, they already are. If you have new ones, then you do. Each time you get new TPMS you have to have them programmed. To get them done, you take it to the dealer or to a reputable tire shop and ASK them to do it. It won't be automatically done if you buy from them because there is a charge for the service.

It also could be that the spare is on a different TPMS. If that is the case, then one out of the five (or four - new ones? - out of the five) is not reading to the truck and that could be causing it.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #17
Ive got tiger blood

the sensors in the wheels i have on now are not the original ones with the truck. They were already on the wheels when i got them from a member on here. The spare however is still there with the original sensor. I put a good 200 miles on this wheel and tire set up with no light. I never reset or registered anything when i put them on. The light started flashing at me as soon as i got across the mud hole. The tire pressures are all fine. Just coincidence that it started flashing when i did or did i mess up a sensor going through the hole?
Old 06-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #18
Mskwared is on a distinguished road
Mskwared's Tacoma Gallery
Isnt the whole point of TPMS is to warn you if the tire pressure drops too low? Wouldnt four MISSING tires set it off?

Maybe because your old tires were still inflated to the right pressure when you took them off it didnt trigger the alarm? Now that they've been gone for a while its questioning it.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #19
Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)
babytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedbabytruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

babytruck's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ You are correct.

Four are missing, according to the truck. One is intact. The computer is confused. It finally figured it out.

Time to get the TPMS programmed (I think it can be about $25 each) or get the old ones put back in. I think going through the mud is just a coincidence. Perhaps with you bouncing around the pressure is changing and the signal finally could not read it.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #20
Ive got tiger blood

yea that very well could be the case. But usually it happens quicker than 200 miles of driving. The old wheels and tires are stored nowhere even close to where i park(about a half hour away) so its not like its still getting signal. Most of the time it seems to happen after 40 or 50 miles. Who knows, maybe it is just all coincidence and the mud hole has no effect on why the light is now blinking. Just seemed strange that it started blinking when it did.