Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

HELP - NEW TIRES FOR DOUBLE CAB 4X4

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
JONNY TACO will become famous soon enoughJONNY TACO will become famous soon enough
JONNY TACO's Tacoma Gallery
HELP - NEW TIRES FOR DOUBLE CAB 4X4

My Dunflops are about finished with 32,000 miles. I'm looking for a good tire that is good mostly on streets, but also in the snow . I hunt geese and drive in up to 6 inches of snow in farm fields. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Cooper Discoverer ATR They're fairly mild mannered on the streets and do very very well in the snow. I'm very happy with them and have had them on lots of trucks in the past.

OP, you do realize this is just an invitation for people to rep the tires they're currently rolling right?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
I just picked up the Firestone Destination AT'S in 275/65/16's for my 09' and like them a lot in the 10 days i've had them. Reviews for the loger term also seen strong. I thought about the Michelins lx2 or whatever, butfor quite a bot less, with solid reviews and an agressive enough street tire thats looks like it will handle the snow, that was the direction i went after lots of consideration.

To date, i also don't notice a mileage difference from the Rugged Fails...

Hope it helps...
Old 06-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #4
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
You only got 32k out of the stock Dunflops? I guess I will be buying tires sooner than I expected then. Kinda a win lose thing. I still have a long way to go though, only at 3300 miles.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
You only got 32k out of the stock Dunflops? I guess I will be buying tires sooner than I expected then. Kinda a win lose thing. I still have a long way to go though, only at 3300 miles.
Some people have gotten more, even up to 50k. I ditched mine at 30k miles because I was heading into winter. If it was the beginning of summer I would have run them another 5 - 10k miles but they sucked in the snow the previous year so I upgraded.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
JONNY TACO will become famous soon enoughJONNY TACO will become famous soon enough
JONNY TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Cooper Discoverer ATR They're fairly mild mannered on the streets and do very very well in the snow. I'm very happy with them and have had them on lots of trucks in the past.

OP, you do realize this is just an invitation for people to rep the tires they're currently rolling right?
Yep, but than I have an idea as to what to check out in the tire rating sections.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Like my Duratracs. Haven't tested them in snow, but "they" say that the Duratracs work well.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #8
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Some people have gotten more, even up to 50k. I ditched mine at 30k miles because I was heading into winter. If it was the beginning of summer I would have run them another 5 - 10k miles but they sucked in the snow the previous year so I upgraded.
I thought mine were great in the snow as brand-new tires. No clue what they would have been like in another year, so I pulled them and sold them this spring for $200. Hated the fact that I got smallish tires with my new 4x4 double cab. Paid $550 for a set of Hankook Dynapros and have no basis to make statements about longevity or snow, but they sure look nice. Probably the best cosmetic upgrade I could have done for $350 net cost.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #9
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook Dynapro ATM... see the small sig photo of my truck in the snow? They were amazing in the snow, mud, desert, Baja and quiet on the highway. It just might be the best, inexpensive all terrain tire there is?

I have also run Cooper Discoverer ATRs and Toyo Open Country ATs and liked them both... but these Hankook's are outstanding (so far)!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
Tennessee Member
Jeremy92 has a spectacular aura aboutJeremy92 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jeremy
Jeremy92's Tacoma Gallery
Just got my Kumho SAT kl61's in today, they are rated #1 in A/T's on tire rack, and severe snow rated, check them out. My dunflops are now done for at 31000.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 AM   #12
Beretta Taco
Mescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant future

Firefighter: Come from a family of Army and Air Force
Name: Matt
Mescalero's Tacoma Gallery
let me know dude when youre ready...ill be happy to hook you up!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerhead View Post
I thought mine were great in the snow as brand-new tires. No clue what they would have been like in another year, so I pulled them and sold them this spring for $200. Hated the fact that I got smallish tires with my new 4x4 double cab. Paid $550 for a set of Hankook Dynapros and have no basis to make statements about longevity or snow, but they sure look nice. Probably the best cosmetic upgrade I could have done for $350 net cost.
Same thing here, the first winter I thought they were actually pretty decent, the second winter they sucked, then they started slipping in the summer when it rained so I ditched them before winter #3 for my own safety! Sounds like you made out alright on the deal!
Old 06-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #14
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

x2.... They are great tires.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:13 AM   #15
Tennessee Member
Jeremy92 has a spectacular aura aboutJeremy92 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jeremy
Jeremy92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTacoma View Post
x2.... They are great tires.
i'm not running mine yet, they are waiting for the rims they will be covering tho, only a matter of time.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBb View Post
Like my Duratracs. Haven't tested them in snow, but "they" say that the Duratracs work well.
looking at a bigger tire size myself - heard from most the tire people that the duratracs wear out much faster than i'd like...
Old 06-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #17
I have to return some videotapes
JonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonnyBb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JonnyBb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
looking at a bigger tire size myself - heard from most the tire people that the duratracs wear out much faster than i'd like...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...ml#post3091787

52K with significant tread left...