Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Feedback on new BFG Rugged Terrain T/A Tires?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
thedude is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Lucas
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Feedback on new BFG Rugged Terrain T/A Tires?

Anybody rolling with these? I just went from stock to 3" OME lift and Goodyear Durataracs. It rides like shit compared to stock. The tires are loud and rough (D rated). I'm looking to switch to these new BFG's or possibly Nitto Terra Grapplers - P rated for a better highway ride. I want the look without the rough ride. I do mostly highway driving, no serious offroading.

I thought I was just being a wuss but everybody who's been in my truck has commented how loud and rough the ride is now. Any help with a good looking decent highway ride tire would be much appreciated!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Guess they are too new for any feedback yet. The two reviews on tirerack.com are positive and it looks like they have made a lot of improvements over the rugged trails - a couple of reviews below are positive as well.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...res/index.html

http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/r...ire-53161.html
Old 06-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I'm interested in those and the Cooper Discoverer AT3, but haven't heard any reviews of either yet.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC10TRDSPORT View Post
I'm interested in those and the Cooper Discoverer AT3, but haven't heard any reviews of either yet.
The problem with Discoverer AT3 is it only comes in E rated for size 285/70/17.

Nitto Terra Grappler is the only AT tire I know of that offers a P rating in that size - I think that might be key to getting a decent highway ride, sidewalls are too stiff on D and E for a light truck like the Tacoma.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
tacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomtn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomtn's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, i was just checking out the same terrain TAs. they look good for my type of driving too, 99% highway/street, 1% offroad/occasional dirt trails. i'd like to hear more reviews too.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 50/50 between the grapplers and BFG rugged terrains. BFG sounds like it's more for me. 95% highway driving. Duratrac looks badass but they are just horrible on pavement.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #7
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
I just pulled the trigger on the new BFG Rugged Terrains from discount tire direct - sounds perfect for my needs. I'll leave a review and some pics once I get them.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
larry2375 is on a distinguished road

larry2375's Tacoma Gallery
Got p rated 285/70 terra grapplers because they are light weight. I think their 46 lbs. each, perfect for highway driving. Shop had e rated terra grapplers in stock, but glad I waited 2 weeks for the p rated tires instead.e rated tires are too heavy for my style of driving.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:31 AM   #11
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
I love the lift - makes the truck look much better. Duratracs look badass as well so looks wise happy - comfort wise not so much. Hopefully the diff tires will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsung View Post
i have these on my truck BFG KO All Terrain 265/75/16 and they are really sweet. It's factory shock and springs. i'm looking for some ome also with 886's since i have an arb bumper on mine. how do you like your ome's ?
Old 06-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
I have the BFG AT at 285/75-R16 and I really like them. Recently I have had Cooper Discoverer STT's and Dunlop Fierce Attitude and I really like the BFG's. I gained 2-3 mpg over the more agressive MT tires and there is almost no road noise from them. They have not let me down when offroading but they seem to get chewed up easier if your baja-ing your truck.
I recently did some pretty aggressive offroading down in Tucson, alot of sharp rocks and the tires did very well when aired down to 20psi, they flexed really good (although not as well as a set of M/T's would have). After the rock climbing I was doing some high speed runs in the open desert (I had to let the supercharger stretch its legs) and the tires got pretty chewed up. No chunks missing but for only having 1500 miles on them they look rough. That was mainly due to alot of tire spin on the rocks and 4 wheel slides in the desert. I will definatly reccomend them and buy them again...

Old 06-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
trdtaco10 will become famous soon enough

trdtaco10's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Rugged Terrains they are a great tire. Not near as much road noise compared to a KO but still have the ability to go off road. I actually picked up around .5 mpg from the KOs. They ride great for an E rated tire and are a great mix if you don't want something as wimpy as a rugged trail but not as aggressive as a KO. I'm riding with the LT 265/75/16 E rated being as they got a little more beef than the P rated ones
Old 06-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #14
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdtaco10 View Post
I have the Rugged Terrains they are a great tire. Not near as much road noise compared to a KO but still have the ability to go off road. I actually picked up around .5 mpg from the KOs. They ride great for an E rated tire and are a great mix if you don't want something as wimpy as a rugged trail but not as aggressive as a KO.
Yea, take your rugged Fails and burn them. Those were the most horrible and dangerous tires I have ever had on a vehicle. The BFG AT's are great, the KO's are very good, especially if you do a lot of offroad. I will say again, if your not doing hard core offroad go with the AT's. They wont leave you stranded and will go everywhere the KO's will go.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #15
trdtaco10 will become famous soon enough

trdtaco10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
Yea, take your rugged Fails and burn them. Those were the most horrible and dangerous tires I have ever had on a vehicle. The BFG AT's are great, the KO's are very good, especially if you do a lot of offroad. I will say again, if your not doing hard core offroad go with the AT's. They wont leave you stranded and will go everywhere the KO's will go.
Yeah I sold those pieces of crap to the tire shop so I didn't have to pay full price for the new tires.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #16
Air Force:
thedude's Tacoma Gallery
Did you paint the lettering black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
I have the BFG AT at 285/75-R16 and I really like them. Recently I have had Cooper Discoverer STT's and Dunlop Fierce Attitude and I really like the BFG's. I gained 2-3 mpg over the more agressive MT tires and there is almost no road noise from them. They have not let me down when offroading but they seem to get chewed up easier if your baja-ing your truck.
I recently did some pretty aggressive offroading down in Tucson, alot of sharp rocks and the tires did very well when aired down to 20psi, they flexed really good (although not as well as a set of M/T's would have). After the rock climbing I was doing some high speed runs in the open desert (I had to let the supercharger stretch its legs) and the tires got pretty chewed up. No chunks missing but for only having 1500 miles on them they look rough. That was mainly due to alot of tire spin on the rocks and 4 wheel slides in the desert. I will definatly reccomend them and buy them again...

Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude View Post
Did you paint the lettering black?
No, you can get them either white or black lettering out. One side of the tire is black, the other is white.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdtaco10 View Post
Yeah I sold those pieces of crap to the tire shop so I didn't have to pay full price for the new tires.
I did the same thing. I sold those, my stock rims, and my 265 cooper stt's and got my 285 + some cash so I made out on the deal.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #19
Lets Go State!
PSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to behold

PSUnick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude View Post
I just pulled the trigger on the new BFG Rugged Terrains from discount tire direct - sounds perfect for my needs. I'll leave a review and some pics once I get them.
Can't wait to see the pics of this new tire on a tacoma.