Notices

Looks awesome... poor gas mileage......

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
Roggs01
roggs01 will become famous soon enoughroggs01 will become famous soon enough

Air Force: MSgt
roggs01's Tacoma Gallery
Question Looks awesome... poor gas mileage......

Jumped in without doing my homework and upgraded my 07 Taco stock wheels/tires from 245/75/16 to 285/50/20..... Looks kick ass but the MPG and acceleration are poor. This was done a couple days ago so i'm still not 100% sure actual mileage loss. Any of you go with the larger tires? Looking to get the actual MPG.... Thanks
Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
Poodoo
luk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shedluk8272 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
luk8272's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to the site. Most of us here have larger tires. Seem to lose about 1 or 2 mpg. Your new tires are about 31.2" tall, old tires are 30.4" tall. You most likely are losing your mileage due to weight. When you check your mileage take the miles on your odometer multiply those miles times 1.4 then divide your gallons into that to get your actual mpg. Go here to see http://miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 10-08-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by luk8272 View Post
Welcome to the site. Most of us here have larger tires. Seem to lose about 1 or 2 mpg. Your new tires are about 31.2" tall, old tires are 30.4" tall. You most likely are losing your mileage due to weight. When you check your mileage take the miles on your odometer multiply those miles times 1.4 then divide your gallons into that to get your actual mpg. Go here to see http://miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Welcome to TW roggs!
its actually only a 3% gain in tire size so the multiplier is 1.03 i agree its most likely due to weight and also from the increase in tire width. these speedo/odometers are a little fast reading from the factory so its actually about perfect in accuracy now. your MPG readings will be accurate by just using the number of miles over the number of gallons consumed.... but if you multiply that by 1.03 then you'll get what the MPG would have been according to the factory calibration. i'd expect your mpg to go down about 5-10 percent from what you were getting. i can still get around 20mpg with 32.2" tires and a 3" lift in my truck.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW!

Please post pics of your truck.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Roggs01

roggs01's Tacoma Gallery
Added truck photo to my profile..I think it looks kick ass.. Also wanted to know if there is any more info on the removal of the secondary air filter in the 2007 Tacoma? Is it really worth it? Thanks all
Old 10-11-2008, 10:54 PM   #8
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by roggs01 View Post
Added truck photo to my profile..I think it looks kick ass.. Also wanted to know if there is any more info on the removal of the secondary air filter in the 2007 Tacoma? Is it really worth it? Thanks all
i think its a good idea to remove the sec filter. when i did it on the 06 i had.......the truck idled better and the motor sounded better.....like it could breathe better. it was worth it to me.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #9
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Surprise is a little town about 10 miles down the road from me....yeah its spelt just like that. Welcome neighbor.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #10
Roggs01

roggs01's Tacoma Gallery
Yeh, I'll probably remove it..... Another stupid question, how do I add my truck photo to my posts? its on my profile, but its not added to my replies. Thanks
Old 10-11-2008, 11:14 PM   #11
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yeh, I'll probably remove it..... Another stupid question, how do I add my truck photo to my posts? its on my profile, but its not added to my replies. Thanks
go right under the pic to the link under it and click and copy then paste it in the post.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #12
awoit will become famous soon enough

awoit's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to awoit
Quote:
but the MPG and acceleration are poor

Does buying bigger tires have an effect on your acceleration?
Old 10-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #13
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
go right under the pic to the link under it and click and copy then paste it in the post.
sure he don't mean to the avatar?
Old 10-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post
sure he don't mean to the avatar?
ah.....he may mean for his avatar.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:24 PM   #16
Quote:
for picture in avatar go to user cp, then edit avatar and put pic there.
for signiture, goto edit signiture and add pic there.
Like I'm a gurru...not
Old 10-11-2008, 11:44 PM   #20
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by awoit View Post
Does buying bigger tires have an effect on your acceleration?
yes, to an extent. the bigger the tire then the taller the final gearing will be and thus will hurt your acceleration. if you change out the gearing in your truck to match the tires then the acceleration shouldnt be affected though.