Notices

Speedometer incorrect lawsuit

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
rockbug63 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: jet mechanic
rockbug63's Tacoma Gallery
Speedometer incorrect lawsuit

I just put on my first set of replacement tires on my 17" Sport rims since new. Had 265/65/17 Bridgestones. Garmin readout always showed that the speedo was indicating about 2/3 mph too fast. Put on Michln. LTX MS/2 265/70/17 and the speedo is now spot on. On my '05 Accord it did the same thing, indicated too high. Another Accord owner took Honda to court and made them extend the warranty from 100K to 105K. I got a letter stating why and fleet wide Honda was proved to have done this to increase overall gas mileage figures. I wonder if we are being duped by Toyota the same way??If your truck with factory supplied wheels and tires does this(?) then I'd say we have a case!
Old 06-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Here is the thing, the speedo is off but the odometer is spot on. I'm sure this is done to slow people down a bit. Since the ODO is spot on then MPG would also be spot on. After all you don't calculate MPG with the speedo.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Lol. Not worth it to me.
x2
Old 06-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to know how the speedo and odo can read different from each other when the source of info is a rotating tire or tranny part. How does the speedo slow down with taller tires but the odo remain unchanged, if true?
Old 06-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
The guy that took Honda to court should be shot for bitching.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #7
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
My speedo is also about 3 mph off, was told by many here that the speedo is indeed off by 2-3mph,but the odo was correct. Well after many many long trips and checking with mile markers and gps I can say for sure the odo in my truck is also off by 2.5-3 miles. Have checked it many times to be sure.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
I would like to know how the speedo and odo can read different from each other when the source of info is a rotating tire or tranny part. How does the speedo slow down with taller tires but the odo remain unchanged, if true?
That's not what he is saying he is saying with the factory tires the speedometer reads fast buts the odometer is spot on so a taller tire will make the speed correct but the odometer slightly off
Old 06-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Sue !

Americans are lawsuit happy
Old 06-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Sue !

Americans are lawsuit happy
Seriously. It is lame.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
rockbug63 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: jet mechanic
rockbug63's Tacoma Gallery
Speedo and Odo both offset according to 2 different GPS units with trip mileage function and speed readouts. Just something to consider besides your next witticism.
P.S. The new tires are perfect, glad I went Michelin.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #12
DrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewH is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DrewH's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbug63 View Post
I just put on my first set of replacement tires on my 17" Sport rims since new. Had 265/65/17 Bridgestones. Garmin readout always showed that the speedo was indicating about 2/3 mph too fast. Put on Michln. LTX MS/2 265/70/17 and the speedo is now spot on. On my '05 Accord it did the same thing, indicated too high. Another Accord owner took Honda to court and made them extend the warranty from 100K to 105K. I got a letter stating why and fleet wide Honda was proved to have done this to increase overall gas mileage figures. I wonder if we are being duped by Toyota the same way??If your truck with factory supplied wheels and tires does this(?) then I'd say we have a case!
I'd say get a life!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewH View Post
I'd say get a life!
X2, don't sweat the small things
Old 06-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
Public Servant Enemy #1
ISUGrad05 is on a distinguished road

ISUGrad05's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc350 View Post
My speedo is also about 3 mph off, was told by many here that the speedo is indeed off by 2-3mph,but the odo was correct. Well after many many long trips and checking with mile markers and gps I can say for sure the odo in my truck is also off by 2.5-3 miles. Have checked it many times to be sure.
Ditto.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #15
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Lol. Not worth it to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The guy that took Honda to court should be shot for bitching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewH View Post
I'd say get a life!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
X2, don't sweat the small things
^^^ x2654968
Old 06-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #16
rbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shedrbishopp is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: ARFF @ ROC
Name: Rich
rbishopp's Tacoma Gallery
new tires helps ?

Looking at new tires so maybe that'll fix the speedo issue. Are the tires sized as labelled on the sidewall ? Speedometer is off by 3 mph at 30 mph. 5mph at 65mph and 12 mph at 140mph. The ODO looked corrected but I didn't check with a long distance trip.
Stock 245/75R-16 on the taco now. Going to go with the same size so nothing should change right? I'll still just drive like my hair is on fire.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:29 PM   #17
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyeatlanta View Post
That's not what he is saying he is saying with the factory tires the speedometer reads fast buts the odometer is spot on so a taller tire will make the speed correct but the odometer slightly off
???

I know that's what he is saying and that doesn't change my question in the least:

"I would like to know how the speedo and odo can read different from each other when the source of info is a rotating tire or tranny part. How does the speedo slow down with taller tires but the odo remain unchanged, if true?"
Old 06-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #18
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
???

I know that's what he is saying and that doesn't change my question in the least:

"I would like to know how the speedo and odo can read different from each other when the source of info is a rotating tire or tranny part. How does the speedo slow down with taller tires but the odo remain unchanged, if true?"
Toyota would have had to program it that way. You are absolutely right, when the tire size changed, both the speedo and odo should change by the same amount.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #19
YotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaMan2007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: FMC 25th BSB
Name: Brian
YotaMan2007's Tacoma Gallery
i know my truck goes 3mph slower than the speedo with the stock 215/70/15 on my truck.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #20
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, seriously?