Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Will lug nuts from 16" steel wheels work on 17" FJ Alloys?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #1
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Will lug nuts from 16" steel wheels work on 17" FJ Alloys?

I have an 09 4x4 SR5 with 16" steelies. I am thinking about upgrading to 17" FJ alloys - nothing flashy, just the straight up factory alloys from an FJ.

Can I reuse my lugs or would I need new ones? If I need a full set of lugs, how much are they and do I get them from Toyota or any car parts store?

Please help, thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
No they will not. The FJ style wheels require a different type of the lug, the kind with the washer on the end. The lugs on the steel wheels not only won't seat right, they carve and dig into the holes on the wheels.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Dave View Post
No they will not. The FJ style wheels require a different type of the lug, the kind with the washer on the end. The lugs on the steel wheels not only won't seat right, they carve and dig into the holes on the wheels.
OK, that's what I feared. Thanks for clarifying.

How much for a full set of lugs do you know?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are the 16" steeples conical seat? Good to know. I thought all of the stock wheels except the gulf states ones were shank and washer,
Old 06-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Yamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shedYamaha Dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yamaha Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Are the 16" steeples conical seat? Good to know. I thought all of the stock wheels except the gulf states ones were shank and washer,

Yes the steel wheels use the conical sets because they are steel and they can support the load better than an aluminum wheel which is a softer metal and needs the shank and washer to distribute the load. If you used the conical lug nuts as mentioned they either won't sit correctly which is extremely dangerous or they will dig into the lug holes on the wheels and eventually ruin them.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes the steel wheels use the conical sets because they are steel and they can support the load better than an aluminum wheel which is a softer metal and needs the shank and washer to distribute the load. If you used the conical lug nuts as mentioned they either won't sit correctly which is extremely dangerous or they will dig into the lug holes on the wheels and eventually ruin them.
Hmmm how come almost all aftermarket aluminum rims use conical seat lugs if it's a materials properties issue?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
I <3 the mall
luk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to beholdluk3 is a splendid one to behold

Name: luke
luk3's Tacoma Gallery
You cant use steel lugs for alloy wheels... I had to order stock alloy lugs from he steelership because I didnt know