Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Steering wheel shaking badly help please

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
francis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the rough
Name: Trevor
francis1291's Tacoma Gallery
Steering wheel shaking badly help please

I have 33's toyo mts on 20's. I bought the tires and rims when I had 10,000 miles on the truck now I have 30,000 my problem is when im going 40-50 my steering wheel shakes like crazy. I had them balanced that were on the front when this started to happen and it still didn't help. This is the weird part. Before I rotated them the steering wheel was not shaking but that was 5000 miles ago and I just got them rotated back to the position they were before when the wheel was not shaking but after I drove it today its still shaking. Any1 have any help with what is going on? I need this shaking to stop
Old 06-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

97Blk_one's Tacoma Gallery
One of your front tire is uneven. You can check by running your hand on the tire, to see if it swell up. I have the same problem. Alignment shop won't cure your problem.Time for a new tires
Old 06-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Are you even sure it's the tires? Have you checked your tie rod ends? Turning 20's can be hell on tie rods Jack up your truck and see if you can move the wheel from right to left.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of97Blk_one has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
Are you even sure it's the tires? Have you checked your tie rod ends? Turning 20's can be hell on tie rods Jack up your truck and see if you can move the wheel from right to left.
On mine that's what cause it. I got 4 spangin' new tires, the shaken gone.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bloodshart
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Blk_one View Post
On mine that's what cause it. I got 4 spangin' new tires, the shaken gone.
I'm having the same issue but it has almost gone away. I ran my KM2s too long without rotating and they started cupping bad. Now I get them rotated monthly and keep the alignment perfect and it has almost completely gone away. When I replace these bad boys, I will be religious about rotating. I never had this issue when I ran A/Ts, but all mud terrains are notorious for this.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
francis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the roughfrancis1291 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Blk_one View Post
One of your front tire is uneven. You can check by running your hand on the tire, to see if it swell up. I have the same problem. Alignment shop won't cure your problem.Time for a new tires

Why is it time for new tires when I just put the tires the way they were before all this shaking happened. The good tires were at the rear but I don't understand what could have happened to the good tires when they were at the rear.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
Quote:

You think my tie rods could be bad with only the truck being lifted for only 20,000 miles. That's when I put the lift and tires on.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass View Post
I'm having the same issue but it has almost gone away. I ran my KM2s too long without rotating and they started cupping bad. Now I get them rotated monthly and keep the alignment perfect and it has almost completely gone away. When I replace these bad boys, I will be religious about rotating. I never had this issue when I ran A/Ts, but all mud terrains are notorious for this.

But I rotate mine every 3,000 to 5,000 miles. They couldn't get my alignment perfect because of the ball joints.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #9
TacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaGus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gus
TacomaGus's Tacoma Gallery
get a road force balance done, that will cure any tire balance issues. but as said previously, your turning a very heavy wheel and tire combo so you could have worn tie rod ends. 20k miles is a lot more than what is needed to wear shit out if its overloaded
Old 06-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by francis1291 View Post
You think my tie rods could be bad with only the truck being lifted for only 20,000 miles. That's when I put the lift and tires on.
I'm not saying there bad I'm saying to check them out before you go drop a bunch of money on new tires
Old 06-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #11
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
If your rim is tweaked, or a belt is broken in the tire, all the balancing in the world will be of no consequence.
Bad ball joints will cause the tire(s) to wear unevenly, but not cause balance issues. When the ball joint finally separates, you will have other, more pressing, issues! Replace the ball joints!
Old 06-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis1291 View Post
Why is it time for new tires when I just put the tires the way they were before all this shaking happened. The good tires were at the rear but I don't understand what could have happened to the good tires when they were at the rear.
I dunno. I just though that were the case. On mine I rotated often, at one point it shaken badly, So I took it to the alignment shop, the guy told me ,that shaken on the steering wheel won't solve the problem. I got home took the tire off and observe,scrutinized, viola... one side of the tire swelled up. Replaced the tire. Solved
Old 06-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaGus View Post
get a road force balance done, that will cure any tire balance issues. but as said previously, your turning a very heavy wheel and tire combo so you could have worn tie rod ends. 20k miles is a lot more than what is needed to wear shit out if its overloaded

i had it road force balanced when it started doing it and they balanced them and as soon as i left it was still doing it.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #14
Quote:
I'm not saying there bad I'm saying to check them out before you go drop a bunch of money on new tires

i didnt mean to come across as being smart or anything i just want to get this crap fixed. it drives me crazy!! im going to get them all balanced when my next check comes in and if that dont fix it then ill try the tie rods
Old 06-09-2011, 08:18 PM   #15
but when i was headed home tonight i was going 60 ish and it stopped shaking. only does it 40-55 ish. i wonder why it stops at +60
Old 06-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #16
Little update. Went to get all my tires balanced and had them check all the front end and they drove it and says it still does it. There is nothing wrong with tires or rim. No coupling or anything. Any1 know what is going on?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #17
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
that happened to me too,when I rotated the tires I got a bad shake,my tires were pretty worn
Old 06-10-2011, 01:33 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeandkanoa View Post
that happened to me too,when I rotated the tires I got a bad shake,my tires were pretty worn

What did you do to fix it?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:41 PM   #19
I need to go return some videotapes...
Seabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeabass is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bloodshart
Seabass's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, one other idea I forgot to mention: make sure they do a lug-centric balancing and NOT a hub-centric. Any respectable tire shop should know that. I had my wheels balanced at the Discount out by me, they must have not done it right because I took it to a different Discount later that same week when it was still vibrating and they got it dialed in. Told me the balance was way off after the other Discount told me it was almost perfect. Problem was gone immediately. There's a special tool they use to balance by your lugs instead of the center of the rim. Make SURE they balance your Taco that way, and ask them to show you.