Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Firestone Winterforce 265/75/16

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Taco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement:
Taco's for All's Tacoma Gallery
Firestone Winterforce 265/75/16

Being the impusle buyer that I am, I went out today and bought myself a new set of winter tires seeing that I've already seen 32 degrees overnight twice this month. I did not have them put the tires on as I don't want to burn up the tread prior to the big snow and I can get them done cheaper at the shop by my house. I intended on purchasing 265/70/16 but since they didn't have them in stock and didn't think they would be getting them in stock I bought 265/75/16.

I've seen other threads that say that this is the largest that will fit on a stock 4x4 Tacoma (which I have). Does anyone have pics of a stock Tacoma with this size tire. Also, will I have to do any trimming anywhere?
Old 10-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #2
clowns to the left-jokers to the right
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ben
hoosiertaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco's for All View Post
Being the impusle buyer that I am, I went out today and bought myself a new set of winter tires seeing that I've already seen 32 degrees overnight twice this month. I did not have them put the tires on as I don't want to burn up the tread prior to the big snow and I can get them done cheaper at the shop by my house. I intended on purchasing 265/70/16 but since they didn't have them in stock and didn't think they would be getting them in stock I bought 265/75/16.

I've seen other threads that say that this is the largest that will fit on a stock 4x4 Tacoma (which I have). Does anyone have pics of a stock Tacoma with this size tire. Also, will I have to do any trimming anywhere?
Are you going to stud them? And of course.......
Old 10-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
Taco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud ofTaco's for All has much to be proud of

Law Enforcement:
No studs. I cringe at the sound they make. As soon as I get them on I'll add some pics. Probably going to wait 2-4 weeks, depending what the weather feels like doing up here.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
hoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedhoosiertaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
r u going to put them on a different set of rims. Thats what I'm gonna do with mine. Found a set of 16" factory alloys cheap from another TW member that didn't need them because he put a lift on with new wheels.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:32 PM   #5

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiertaco View Post
r u going to put them on a different set of rims. Thats what I'm gonna do with mine. Found a set of 16" factory alloys cheap from another TW member that didn't need them because he put a lift on with new wheels.
Planning on using my stock steel wheels for my winter tires. As soon as I get the $$$ situation under control I'll get new (used) alloy's either TRD's or the FJ Trail Team wheels and new TPMS sensors for my summer tires. Found some good deals on E-bay lately but just don't have the 4 for wheels, tires and TPMS.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco's for All View Post
Planning on using my stock steel wheels for my winter tires. As soon as I get the $$$ situation under control I'll get new (used) alloy's either TRD's or the FJ Trail Team wheels and new TPMS sensors for my summer tires. Found some good deals on E-bay lately but just don't have the 4 for wheels, tires and TPMS.
Yep I'm with ya. I'm not going to put the TPMS in my winter wheels though. I'll just put a piece of tape over the light till I go back to the others.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Those tires are an inch taller, and if stock 16's about an inch wider than your originals. Have friends who run those w/o studs, work good, and can't beat the price.

Winter probably comes a little earlier for you, but mine usually go on after Thanksgiving, and the first long range forecast is cold & snow. Dismount the opposite around April 1st. Otherwise save the tread, the allseasons can manage the spotty early morning fall snows before then, and roads are usually clear by late morning. I'd rather save tread for the core of winter, when you really need it. Going on winter #5, still half tread left on my Blizzaks.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #8
AK Backcountry is on a distinguished road

AK Backcountry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yep I'm with ya. I'm not going to put the TPMS in my winter wheels though. I'll just put a piece of tape over the light till I go back to the others.

I got winter tires and rims without the TPMS as I did not want to drop the $400 just for that. I figured like you I would put tape over the light. The first time I drove the truck the light blinked, which was bad, but after that it was either steady or it did not come on. Only been 2 days so I'm still trying to figure out what is up. Guess i need to break out the owners manual or the maintenance manual.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:48 AM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Backcountry View Post
I got winter tires and rims without the TPMS as I did not want to drop the $400 just for that. I figured like you I would put tape over the light. The first time I drove the truck the light blinked, which was bad, but after that it was either steady or it did not come on. Only been 2 days so I'm still trying to figure out what is up. Guess i need to break out the owners manual or the maintenance manual.
Figure anything out? Curious if you were parking the truck close to the sensors when you were at home. Possibly causing them to try and send a signal to the truck.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:52 AM   #10
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
check the spare also....they have sensors too.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:08 AM   #11
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The blinking light means to take your truck to the dealer for service -- I wouldn't recommend that because you know what the problem is.

When I went to my TRD SE & Coopers, I had the steady light (as I didn't bother with the TPMS sensor). Upon getting a matching spare tire (again, I pulled the sensor), I started getting the blinking light. It stayed until I did the grounding procedure (for 06's only ) and haven't seen it since.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:09 AM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
check the spare also....they have sensors too.
the spare was the only one on the truck with a sensor. I believe he was confused as to why it blinked then solid then no light at all. Does one sensor left on the vehicle cause this strange behavior out of the light?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #13
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
the spare was the only one on the truck with a sensor. I believe he was confused as to why it blinked then solid then no light at all. Does one sensor left on the vehicle cause this strange behavior out of the light?
hmmm....not really sure. it may, depends on where the other sensors are.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #14
taconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nice

taconinja's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to taconinja
Those are a good tire. I really liked them on my Forester and that's all our company Jeeps wear. I intend to run them on my stock steelies in the 245/75/16 size. Plus at $73 each they are the cheapest tire available in that size!

I will have a devoted winter wheel & tire setup. I plan on going to the alloy 16s with 265/70 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/As in the spring.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Figure anything out? Curious if you were parking the truck close to the sensors when you were at home. Possibly causing them to try and send a signal to the truck.

Good point. The summer tires with the TPMS are stacked in the garage right next to the truck. The pattern appears to be when I leave the garage for work the light starts blinking shortly after I pull out of the garage and then is steady. When I leave work the light is steady from the time I start the truck.

I will check it out a little closer tomorrow.

By the way we had about 4 inches and some ice last night and this morning. The Hankooks did well.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Good point. The summer tires with the TPMS are stacked in the garage right next to the truck. The pattern appears to be when I leave the garage for work the light starts blinking shortly after I pull out of the garage and then is steady. When I leave work the light is steady from the time I start the truck.

I will check it out a little closer tomorrow.

By the way we had about 4 inches and some ice last night and this morning. The Hankooks did well.
just curious....how far do you live from work?? if the sensors are a certain distance from the truck...the light will do that. and another certain distance, the light will stay solidly lit. my 06 would do it when i left my spare at home.......same thing.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
just curious....how far do you live from work?? if the sensors are a certain distance from the truck...the light will do that. and another certain distance, the light will stay solidly lit. my 06 would do it when i left my spare at home.......same thing.

About 22 miles. Well outside the range of the sensors.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:04 AM   #18

the reason it blinks probably is because you still have the spare on. if you take the spare off and leave it at home, the light will probably go solid till you get back within range.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:32 AM   #19
SHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of lightSHunter080703 is a glorious beacon of light

SHunter080703's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncleaner View Post
Those tires are an inch taller, and if stock 16's about an inch wider than your originals. Have friends who run those w/o studs, work good, and can't beat the price.

Winter probably comes a little earlier for you, but mine usually go on after Thanksgiving, and the first long range forecast is cold & snow. Dismount the opposite around April 1st. Otherwise save the tread, the allseasons can manage the spotty early morning fall snows before then, and roads are usually clear by late morning. I'd rather save tread for the core of winter, when you really need it. Going on winter #5, still half tread left on my Blizzaks.
What type of Blizzaks do you have?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:05 AM   #20
taconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nicetaconinja is just really nice

taconinja's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to taconinja
All you need is a frequency amplifier to increase your effective TPMS signal to 22 miles. You would also need to mount a 10' DIA dish to your truck.