Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Stock Tire Life?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Bosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Kevin
Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
Question Stock Tire Life?

I was just wondering how many miles I should expect my stock Dunlop Grandtrek 215 tires to last?

I have them set to the PSI specified on the door jamb. (30 Front, 33 Rear) My truck is an Access Cab.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Stock Tires:

Not sure on Dunlops, but the Off Road Tacomas come with BFG Rugged Trails... I have had 3 Tacomas with them... the most they lasted was 25,000 miles... The 2010 Tacoma got rid of them at 20,000 miles... had 2 punctures from sharp rocks by that point... worthless!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
charles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud ofcharles08tacoma has much to be proud of

charles08tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced mine at 36,000 miles.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
My stock Dunlops are at 46,000 now and could probably go another 10,000 if they had to. I'm replacing them with some A/Ts in a couple of weeks, I don't want to go through another winter with them.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
my dad did strictly freeway miles on his and it was before i had my license so i didnt drive it... hehe :rolleyes" but he got about 60k outta them. the he got some hankook and they went in 20k cause i finally got my license. now he has a different set but i forgot.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacokid09 View Post
my dad did strictly freeway miles on his and it was before i had my license so i didnt drive it... hehe :rolleyes" but he got about 60k outta them. the he got some hankook and they went in 20k cause i finally got my license. now he has a different set but i forgot.
Glad you're not my kid
Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
It really depends how you drive and where you drive.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
it's about the off-road miles
tacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacokid09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tacokid09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
Glad you're not my kid
hey, i was 16 and stupid. Ive learned to respect things now haha. just took me a little time.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
Burns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shedBurns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Burns's Tacoma Gallery
My dunflops only lasted about 30 to 40k, by far the worst tires I have ever had on any of my vehicles. I would of replaced them sooner but I was being cheap.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced mine at 30k miles. Could have gotten more but was heading into winter and they weren't doing well.

Unless you tow/haul frequently, set the rears down to 30 psi. All the weight is in the front of the truck so there's no need to have the rear tires pumped up that high unless you have some weight back there.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
Superdavert is on a distinguished road

Superdavert's Tacoma Gallery
I have about 25,000 mi on my Dunlops. Saying goodbye to them hopefully soon.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #12
Bosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of lightBosmob is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Kevin
Bosmob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I replaced mine at 30k miles. Could have gotten more but was heading into winter and they weren't doing well.

Unless you tow/haul frequently, set the rears down to 30 psi. All the weight is in the front of the truck so there's no need to have the rear tires pumped up that high unless you have some weight back there.
So you're saying just set them at 30 PSI Front and 30 PSI Rear?
Old 06-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #13
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosmob View Post
So you're saying just set them at 30 PSI Front and 30 PSI Rear?
Yep, unless you're towing or hauling regularly. There's more weight on the front tires than the back. Unloaded, the back end is very light so you don't need your tires pumped up that much. 3 lbs won't make much of a difference but it'll help them wear a little more evenly.

I've got 265/65R17's and I'm at 32 psi front and rear. I typically have an extra 300-350 lbs in the bed of the truck full time. When I was running 245/75R16's, I was at 29-30 psi front and rear. You can also do the chaulk test to see what the ideal pressure for your tires should be. Draw a line of chaulk across the tire, drive for a short distance and see where the chaulk wore off. If it's worn off evenly, you're good, if it's only worn in the center, your pressure is too high, if it's only worn at the edges, your pressure is too low.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #14
Mskwared is on a distinguished road
Mskwared's Tacoma Gallery
Got 40k out of mine. Thins were gettin REAL sketchy though in the rain...
Old 06-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
This may help.. I think they are the exact same tire..

http://www.tirerack.com/survey/Surve...m%3D665SR7AT20
Old 06-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #16
MassTaco has a spectacular aura aboutMassTaco has a spectacular aura about

MassTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
My stock Dunlops are at 46,000 now and could probably go another 10,000 if they had to. I'm replacing them with some A/Ts in a couple of weeks, I don't want to go through another winter with them.
I'm right in line with this - 47k miles now and I have about .150" tread depth left. Could go another 10k, but I'll replace them with Firestone Destination A/Ts before next winter. I always run 34 psi in all 4 tires.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #17
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
At 13K miles, mine were at the replacement indicators. I discovered this when I got stuck in the snow (a few inches of snow at that) and couldn't believe they only lasted 13K miles. My guess is that the high temps on the freeways (when it's 100+ degrees in the summer) wear them down really fast. I don't think we've ever gotten more than 20K out of any of the dunlops that came on Toyotas. Now our '10 highlander seems to be doing a lot better than the ones on the Taco, but I don't expect them to survive to 25K.

I hear people on here getting 40K, 60K, 80K and I just can't believe it. Many others only got around 13K like me (in past threads on multiple forums), so it's just the luck of the draw as to how long yours will last.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #18
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
my stock bfg rugged trails are at 65k and still going!
Old 06-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #19
sechsgang will become famous soon enough
sechsgang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Stock Tires:

Not sure on Dunlops, but the Off Road Tacomas come with BFG Rugged Trails... I have had 3 Tacomas with them... the most they lasted was 25,000 miles... The 2010 Tacoma got rid of them at 20,000 miles... had 2 punctures from sharp rocks by that point... worthless!
You owned three Tacomas of the current model? Really? Do you have money left for anything else?