Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Going from 265x70x16 to 265x70x17. What's my MPG hit likely to be?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

xxaarraa's Tacoma Gallery
Going from 265x70x16 to 265x70x17. What's my MPG hit likely to be?

As the thread title says, I am thinking about going from 265x70x16 (General Grabber AT2s on stock steelies) to 265x70x17 (Wrangler duratracs on procomp). I understand how a larger/heavier tire and more unsprung weight can reduce MPG, but I also read that larger wheels/tires are better for highway?

Any opinions/guesses as to what kind of MPG hit I am going to take?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Not much less 1 maybe 2mpgs tops
Old 06-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
I agree - minimal. Assuming you keep a similar tire w/ similar weight.

I went from the 17" dunlops to 16" E-rated BFG's and lost about 40mph a tank.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
Larger size, more aggressive heavier tire. I say 2-3 mpg hit.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
youll get better mpg or be even

I guess everyone else just spews BS cause they are wrong

General Grabber AT2's 265x70x16 weigh 46#

Goodyear Duratracs 265x70x17 weigh 45#

That's if I looked up the specks on Tirerack correctly

oh and the second tire is actually smaller due to larger rim size
Same width, 1" taller overall, heavier wheel and a more aggressive tread pattern. Very doubtful the MPG's will not be negatively affected.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
1-2mpg
Old 06-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #7
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
youll get better mpg or be even

I guess everyone else just spews BS cause they are wrong

General Grabber AT2's 265x70x16 weigh 46#

Goodyear Duratracs 265x70x17 weigh 45#

That's if I looked up the specks on Tirerack correctly

oh and the second tire is actually smaller due to larger rim size
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Same width, 1" taller overall, heavier wheel and a more aggressive tread pattern. Very doubtful the MPG's will not be negatively affected.
X2 ^ the tire is larger so more rolling resistance so it will be less MPG's if any not more.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #8
xxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to beholdxxaarraa is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Wait Pugga, is the procomp 7028 heavier than the stock steel wheel? I am thinking stock wheel is not lightweight compared to an alloy wheel, even one of 1" larger dia.

How do you say the tread pattern on the duratraks is more aggressive? The grabber AT2s are pretty aggressive to begin with (part of the reason I love them).

In my old Ford Ranger, going from the stock 15" wheel/tire setup to a 16" wheel/tire setup actually increased my MPG for my driving habits (80% highway). Hence my confusion/question now. I know, I know, its not a prius (surprised no one has said that yet ) but I am at 16/17 highway now and going to 14/15 would not be cool for me
Old 06-17-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
The Man!

JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
In my old Ford Ranger, going from the stock 15" wheel/tire setup to a 16" wheel/tire setup actually increased my MPG for my driving habits (80% highway). Hence my confusion/question now. I know, I know, its not a prius (surprised no one has said that yet ) but I am at 16/17 highway now and going to 14/15 would not be cool for me
But did you go to a larger tire? your are going to a larger tire with what your trying to do the tread patterns are about the same so you don't have a problem. We can debate about this all day but the only way you will really find out is to buy the wheels & tires.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
But did you go to a larger tire? your are going to a larger tire with what your trying to do the tread patterns are about the same so you don't have a problem. We can debate about this all day but the only way you will really find out is to buy the wheels & tires.
Jlee, you speak the truth. When are they coming out with the hybrid tacoma anyway? Geebus, all this mpg talk would be moot if they do.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:44 AM   #11
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
Wait Pugga, is the procomp 7028 heavier than the stock steel wheel? I am thinking stock wheel is not lightweight compared to an alloy wheel, even one of 1" larger dia.

How do you say the tread pattern on the duratraks is more aggressive? The grabber AT2s are pretty aggressive to begin with (part of the reason I love them).

Missed the 'stock steelies' part, was thinking TRD OR rims, sorry . The other points I would stand by. Maybe they look different in person but to me it appeared the duratracs have a much more open tread pattern than the AT2s.

Once you get rolling on the highway, you may not notice much of a difference until you get to some hills. The increased tire diameter will take more power to turn. Your city MPG's will decrease for the same reason. When you figure your MPG's later, make sure you're correcting for the change in tire size in your ODO reading. I would guess you'll be in the 15/16 range, I don't think you'll lose too much on the highway (unless it's hilly).
Old 06-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
dura tracs for the win lol! i'm debating on whether or not to stick w, the goodyear or get the trail grappler. decisions decisions... the dura trac has been great for me in the winter it is silly how well they do.

this is my third 4x4 truck and i had changed to different brands of what you would call aggressive tires on each of them and not a one of em could touch the duratrac in the snow.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
i think the are a nice trade off to the look of a tire means alt to everyone right. the duratracs look very much like a heavily sipped mud terrain, but they hush up on the highway so thats a nice feature as well.

although one knock i can put against them is sometimes they wander a bit maybe if you could call it that? i would think it has something to do with all of the larger style more open pattern sipped lugs. this has been my experience with them.

as far as gas millage i get in my reg cab like between 22 and 24 mpg if driven smartly which is not bad for a tire this aggressive imho.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #14
Tacohead
HuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant futureHuntnTruk has a brilliant future

Name: Kevin
HuntnTruk's Tacoma Gallery
I have been averaging above 19 now with my duratracs 265 70 17. In the winter I had stock tires and was lucky to get 18. But consider winter gas and other factors. Its hard to say for me but I can tell myself I increased my mpg with my lift and bigger tires.

6speed 4x4