Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

3" Lift & Tire Recommendations Please

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
mrtomphan is on a distinguished road
mrtomphan's Tacoma Gallery
3" Lift & Tire Recommendations Please

I'm new to lifting trucks so I don't really know much. Can anyone lead me to the right direction on whats a good 3" lift for my 2009 tacoma and what is a good size tire to get. I am going to get my stock wheels powdercoated black and just need a 3" lift and big tires.

I only know about lowering cars. Lifting is a whole new thing to me
Old 10-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If keeping the stock wheels, consider an after market Upper Control Arm. I.e. Total Chaos. They will correct for lost caster when lifting, and provide extra tire clearance. As for lifts? Well, that all depends on what you want the lift for. Im really fond of OME springs and shocks. Others prefer coil overs like Sway-A-Way, Icon, Fox, etc. While other people have had good luck with inexpensive spacer lifts. For the rear, an Add A Leaf of 1" to 2" should do you just fine.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Well I'm not doing any offroading. I'm just doing it mainly to make the truck look a little more aggressive and I don't want to lose the ride quality. Maybe hoping for an even better ride quality. I just want to make sure I do it right when I am going to lift it 3". Whats the max tire size I can put on a 3" lift?
Old 10-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtomphan View Post
Well I'm not doing any offroading. I'm just doing it mainly to make the truck look a little more aggressive and I don't want to lose the ride quality. Maybe hoping for an even better ride quality. I just want to make sure I do it right when I am going to lift it 3". Whats the max tire size I can put on a 3" lift?
Any lift is going to make the ride a little more firm. Any lift that Preloads the springs will stiffen the ride quality further. That being said, a 33" tire will fit with some minimal rubbing provided you have the propper wheel back spaceing.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
Stop talking and START wheeling
RicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really niceRicnDenver is just really nice

Army: Co.C 6/31st Inf.
RicnDenver's Tacoma Gallery
make one call to www.toyteclifts.com
Old 10-11-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
Quitting is for Quitters
awymore997 has a spectacular aura aboutawymore997 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Andrew
awymore997's Tacoma Gallery
Are you planning on running any sort of brushguard or bumper? Do you plan on doing any towing?

your easiest option is to get either OME coils, or bilstein 5100 shock, both avalible from toytec. They are both known for improving over factory ride quality. If 3" is your goal you shoud be able to leave the rear alone, but if you are concerned, you can get a 1.5" lift rear leaf spring from All Pro Offroad. I think a replacement spring is a better option than an add-a-leaf if ride quality is your number one goal.

Parts can be found at www.toyteclifts.com and www.allprooffroad.com
Old 10-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
Latman is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Jet engine mech
Latman's Tacoma Gallery
I did my 3 inch lift this weekend on a 2009 access cab. Once installed I went and bought 265 75 16's they look proportional and fit nice. I think if I had gone with the 285 75 16 I would have had a bunch of rubbing. I do go off road and didn't want the rubbing. I have had it before on other trucks and it drove me nutts. Good Luck...
Old 10-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #9
I've been emailing Duog and this is what he told me.

These will give you the best ride on the front: http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53

for the rear add: http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=53

Do you guys agree? Is that all I need to buy to get what I need and to put on 33" tires with no rub. I don't tow or go offroading at all. I just do it for looks and hopefully same ride quality.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
If keeping the stock wheels, consider an after market Upper Control Arm. I.e. Total Chaos. They will correct for lost caster when lifting, and provide extra tire clearance. As for lifts? Well, that all depends on what you want the lift for. Im really fond of OME springs and shocks. Others prefer coil overs like Sway-A-Way, Icon, Fox, etc. While other people have had good luck with inexpensive spacer lifts. For the rear, an Add A Leaf of 1" to 2" should do you just fine.

Is Upper Control Arm really needed even if I just do a 3" lift?
Old 10-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
It's recommended. Otherwise when looking at the front of your truck your wheels will look like this: / \
Old 10-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by awymore997 View Post
Are you planning on running any sort of brushguard or bumper? Do you plan on doing any towing?

your easiest option is to get either OME coils, or bilstein 5100 shock, both avalible from toytec. They are both known for improving over factory ride quality. If 3" is your goal you shoud be able to leave the rear alone, but if you are concerned, you can get a 1.5" lift rear leaf spring from All Pro Offroad. I think a replacement spring is a better option than an add-a-leaf if ride quality is your number one goal.

Parts can be found at www.toyteclifts.com and www.allprooffroad.com
i have the 5100's on the front set at 2.5 inches and i can say it definately did NOT improve the ride quality. if you have them set at stock height they are better but when you adjust them they compress teh spring more making a much stiffer ride. good for offroading, but you wont keep teh same ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtomphan View Post
Is Upper Control Arm really needed even if I just do a 3" lift?
i only have 2.5 up front and i would recomend the UCA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
It's recommended. Otherwise when looking at the front of your truck your wheels will look like this: / \
yup, thats what my front wheels are doign right now. How bout sending me some of your spare Baja parts you wont be needing now

Just so you know, its hard to lift your truck and maintain a smooth factory ride. how much are you looking to spend? no cheap lift will give you a smooth factory ride. Even the expensive lifts may negatively affect street performance. Even with a full 3 inch lift you will still need to trim your wheel wells to get rid of the rubbing
Old 10-14-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd View Post
How bout sending me some of your spare Baja parts you wont be needing now
I'm actually going to take a sawzall to my AllPro UCA's tomorrow night. You're welcome to what's left of them after that.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #14
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
I'm actually going to take a sawzall to my AllPro UCA's tomorrow night. You're welcome to what's left of them after that.
i have a better idea. how bout you give me stuff taht hasn't been destroyed? dont mess with your co driver or i'll send us in the wrong direction when we are racing the baja. you'll be the first to cross teh finish line in the opposite direction