Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

worried about rubbing too much with 285's

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
Frostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Frostbyte's Tacoma Gallery
worried about rubbing too much with 285's

hey all, i have my lift sitting in my basement waiting for me to buy wheels and tires (17x9 4.5 offset, duratracs) before i install it (5100's all around, 885 springs, toytec aal), but im worried about rubbing too much, or not being able to get rid of all the rubbing... any suggestions?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Once you go away from stock you're committed to a path of exploration.

Most folks never look inside the wheelwells even when they wash their car, but you will, many times.

You'll remove your mudflaps. You'll trim plastic with a box knife. You'll melt and bend plastic with a heat gun.

If you put on UCAs you'll have long conversations with your alignment technician until both of you know more than when you started.

You may cut and box your cab mount, and wail on your pinch weld with the BFH.

But ultimately, if you're running 285/75R16 or equivalent, you'll correct your rubbing.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
if you trim up the plastic enough the only thing you have to worry about is the cab mount really.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Everything's BIGGER in TX!
Oskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOskie_78 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oscar
Oskie_78's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Oskie_78
^^^yeah, I rub only in reverse with the steering wheel lock all the way
Old 06-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post

Most folks never look inside the wheelwells even when they wash their car, but you will, many times.

You'll remove your mudflaps. You'll trim plastic with a box knife. You'll melt and bend plastic with a heat gun.

If you put on UCAs you'll have long conversations with your alignment technician until both of you know more than when you started.

You may cut and box your cab mount.

But ultimately, if you're running 285/75R16 or equivalent, you'll correct your rubbing.
could not have said it better myself > when i put 285's and 17x9 procomp wheels on i knew they would rub> what i was not expecting the hours i had with removing mud flaps, flexing my truck and marking where they rub then re cutting, my wife thought i was crazy when she walked in the garage and i had a grinder with a cutting wheel hacking my cab mounts up. trust me you will fix the "rub" no matter what it takes.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Reaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedReaper10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: P3 Flight Engineer / 737 Crew Chief
Name: Brandon
Reaper10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You may cut and box your cab mount.

Dude, that's positively Zen like!!! Awesome!!!
Old 06-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #7
Frostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shedFrostbyte is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
anyone have pictures of the cab mount and pinch weld you speak of? im almost thinking of maybe a bit smaller tire to not get into this as much as i need to
Old 06-19-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I'm on iPhone so copy paste links is a bit of a pain.

Go to images.google.com and type in

Tacoma cab mount chop.

You'll quickly find all the threads you need.

Lots of guys run 265/75R16 on 3" lift which is a 32" oversize tire that provides a satisfying look and performance combo, with less trimming. I never minded trimming, but that's just me.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:11 AM   #9
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
This is one of the main reasons I chose a 17x8 wheel over a 17x9. I DO NOT rub the cab mount, but I do rub the front trim. That'll be corrected once I mount my new bumper next weekend. It's probably mostly an alignment issue as well.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:37 AM   #10

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Lots of guys run 265/75R16 on 3" lift which is a 32" oversize tire that provides a satisfying look and performance combo, with less trimming. I never minded trimming, but that's just me.
anyone on here running a 265/75/17? pretty much the same of the 285's, just an inch less wide. they rub at all?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #11

Law Enforcement:
and thank you for the pictures. so i take it you use a rubber mallet to bend over your pinch weld to make it not rub?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #12
Eh?
Dibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Dibblit's Tacoma Gallery
Im just heading out to get some 255/85/16. from what I have researched they do not rub. But I will find out for sure come hunting season.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #13
GatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura aboutGatorComa has a spectacular aura about

Name: Robby
GatorComa's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 3" spacer lift in the front with 285/75/16 KM2's (should be about the same size as your 285/70/17) on 16x8 rims with 4.5 bs. I took off the mudflaps and trimmed just a little out of the front plastic of the wheel well and got rid of most of the rubbing. Then, i took a zip tie and pulled it a little more out of the way (you could probably also just cut a little more) and now have zero rubbing issues. I'll try to remember to post a picture later today.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
That will make some of the difference, the rest is about alignment and backspacing of the wheel you choose. Another thing to consider is if you remove the swaybar to fully stuff the tires, if the swaybar is on you limit the amount of uptravel on the IFS significantly.

I'm leaving mine on.