Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Valve stems and TPMS

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #1
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
Valve stems and TPMS

I was wondering if the valve stem (which is a ridged type compared to a rubber type) is a functional part or a non-functional part of the the TPMS system; or if it is completely separate and my TRD sport just has these metal / ridged type.

Thx...Bill
Old 10-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
It is a functional part of the the TPMS system. 2006 and up tacomas have them and if you dont you will see the plain valve stem.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
lakewoodbilly will become famous soon enoughlakewoodbilly will become famous soon enough

Name: Bill
lakewoodbilly's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to lakewoodbilly
When you buy new tires then you would always continue to use the same valve stem? Are they made to last a long time?

I have been reading about the TPMS modules failing / wearing out and the associated cost to continue to use this as an OEM feature. Seems like something that would be servicable without spending big dollars at a dealership.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #4
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexbill View Post
When you buy new tires then you would always continue to use the same valve stem?
Yes you use the same valve stem.

Quote:
Are they made to last a long time?
I have seen them still working with no problems after 60,000 miles.

Quote:
I have been reading about the TPMS modules failing / wearing out and the associated cost to continue to use this as an OEM feature. Seems like something that would be servicable without spending big dollars at a dealership.
I have only seen a few that have actually failed and needed replacement but a lot that needed replacement due to being damaged during tire replacement.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
tossed salad anyone?
jasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nicejasonh is just really nice

jasonh's Tacoma Gallery
on the inside part of that valve stem is what transmits the tire is low. this is what it looks like on the inside..
http://www.toyotatpms.com/