Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Tacoma 2WD (non-Prerunner) Wheel Upgrade

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EvilBetty's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma 2WD (non-Prerunner) Wheel Upgrade

I have the 15" stock steel wheels and tires.

Running my GPS it looks like the speedometer runs about 3-4 MPG faster than actual speed (@ 70MPH).

Anyone noticed how putting 16" rims with a 70 series tires on effects the speedometer?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure how a 16 in wheel with 70 series tires will calculate out, On my 07 with the factory 16 in wheels with 75 series tires my GPS shows the spedometer to be "dead on balls accurate" "It's an industry term" (bonus points if you can identify the movie) So I should think that if the spedo sensor in your truck is the same as mine then the 16 in by 70 will get you closer to dead on, though off hand I don't know the sidewall size of your 15in tires.

For what it's worth, on my gen I taco with the upgraded wheel and tire package the speedo showed about 5 MPH high according to the GPS, if memory serves, so those trucks were calibrated for a smaller tire, I think.

Hope that helps

Adam
Old 05-29-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
thats that there movie w/ them two yutes in it...haha
Old 05-29-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
EvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvilBetty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hmmm... Wonder if I can find someone to swap wheels with me for an hour to confirm this! Haha!
Old 05-29-2007, 06:19 PM   #5
Panama Red is on a distinguished road
Panama Red's Tacoma Gallery
Go here and put your two different tire sizes in and you will see the difference in your speedometer: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Old 05-30-2007, 03:53 AM   #6
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick491 View Post
..."dead on balls accurate" "It's an industry term" (bonus points if you can identify the movie)...
My Cousin Vinny
Old 05-30-2007, 08:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Go here and put your two different tire sizes in and you will see the difference in your speedometer: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
NICE! Thanks!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:03 AM   #8

What size tires come on the prerunners? They have 16" wheels right? Other than the TRD Sport which has 17" I think.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
Panama Red is on a distinguished road
Panama Red's Tacoma Gallery
Regular PreRunners are 245/75/16
TRD PreRunners are 265/70/16
TRD Sports are 265/65/17
Old 05-31-2007, 06:37 AM   #10

Damn that alone is giving the Prerunners 2" of lift.

I guess I'm going to have to find someone with the 16" wheels I want, and buy my own rubber in 225 / 70 16" or similar. Or maybe I just need to call Toyota service and find out what is entailed to calibrate the truck to larger tires / wheels.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #11

Good to know! Thanks!
Old 06-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
Johnz is on a distinguished road
Johnz's Tacoma Gallery
Odometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilBetty View Post
Good to know! Thanks!
Betty,

I have the same truck and I noticed the same 4 mph difference and I also have the stock 15's that came w/SR5. Does this mean my 27-29 highway gas mileage is totally bogus? And what about our warranty expiring early, is this for real? If so my dealer is getting a call. Does anyone know if these above facts are correct if your speedo is off?

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:26 PM   #13
PacNor Gator
Goldenarms is on a distinguished road

Goldenarms's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking about upgrading...we have the same truck, Betty. Could I fit some 18's or 20's without worries of rubbing?
Old 06-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnz View Post
Betty,

I have the same truck and I noticed the same 4 mph difference and I also have the stock 15's that came w/SR5. Does this mean my 27-29 highway gas mileage is totally bogus? And what about our warranty expiring early, is this for real? If so my dealer is getting a call. Does anyone know if these above facts are correct if your speedo is off?

Thanks.
OMG I never thought of that.... that's F'd up... They better be geared differently between the speedometer and the odometer... otherwise that is total BS.

I had the Toyota service people tell me flat out when complained the speedometer was off, that Toyota purposefully syncs all vehicles 3 MPH under at 60MPH... why he didn't know.