Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Can you get a flat from a missing valve stem cap?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
guruboy is on a distinguished road
Name: Gabriel
guruboy's Tacoma Gallery
Can you get a flat from a missing valve stem cap?

Hi everybody. I was visiting my brother today and I realized I had a flat on my '02 Tacoma right as I pulled into his parking lot. We successfully changed it which was surprising because we are both real dopes.

The weird thing is, I looked over the tire pretty thoroughly and I couldn't find any damage at all. That's when I noticed that the valve stem cap was missing from the tire. So my simple question is: is this the likely cause of the flat? It is of course possible that I just can't find the damage. I plan on bringing the tire in to see if it can be repaired tomorrow but I was wondering if maybe I just need a new cap and a trip to the air pump.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #2
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
I seriously doubt there is any way possible air could leak out without the cap.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
negative. a missing valve stem cap will not cause a flat. try spraying the bead of the tire or any of the tread with a soap/water combo and see if any bubbles form. if air is escaping from the tire, the bubbles will show where.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe someone took the cap off and deflated your tire!?!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKTRD6SP View Post
This. Not so much maybe as in definitely.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:57 PM   #6
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That or if u take ur truck off road much, mud and debri can unseat your bead and deflate ur tire, but if its holding air now somebody loosened ur valve stem
Old 06-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #7
guruboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Wow really? The trip I took that ended in the flat was about 20 miles, from a public parking lot where it was unattended for about 45 minutes. It was pretty darn flat when I got to my brother's and as I said I didn't hear or feel anything until right at the end of the drive, which was mostly highway and some terrible Boston roads. Maybe I pissed somebody off on the road and they followed me to the arts and crafts store!

I guess we'll know the answer when I take it to a mechanic tomorrow. I would love to try something like the soap+water but I don't have the time in the next couple days all things considered.

Also you guys rock thanks for the replies.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
No
Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
The valve cap does not hold pressure, it's just there to keep the valve stem clean (the little nip that you press down to let air out). It is possible that somehow a tiny rock impacted the valve stem just right, then stuck and let the air out... but that's like a 1:1,000,000 shot, and would probably be the first time in history that has ever happened.

Maybe your valve stem is loose for some reason... vandal only got it 1/2 way out before you got close and he snuck off?

There is probably a hole in the tire.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 PM   #10
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
The valve cap does not hold pressure, it's just there to keep the valve stem clean (the little nip that you press down to let air out). It is possible that somehow a tiny rock impacted the valve stem just right, then stuck and let the air out... but that's like a 1:1,000,000 shot, and would probably be the first time in history that has ever happened.

Maybe your valve stem is loose for some reason... vandal only got it 1/2 way out before you got close and he snuck off?

There is probably a hole in the tire.
i'd say its more likely than that. i have found dirt in the valve stem on a flat atv tire. BUT on a truck it maybe less likely idk. i found one of mine loos yesterday.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
Class IV Category 8 Elite VIP Member (Only)
BradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradleyScottETC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bradley
BradleyScottETC's Tacoma Gallery
The packing on the shrader valve can deteriorate over time, but usually that sort of leak is extremely slow.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #12
guruboy's Tacoma Gallery
I just got the tire back from the mechanic and turns out it needed to be plugged so it was not (or was very good) sabotage. Thanks again for the info and advice everybody.