Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Best brand for alterrain

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
Big Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really nice
Big Al 55's Tacoma Gallery
Best brand for alterrain

im wondering what yall think the best brand for al terrain tires is. im thinking about getting 31s for my truck and i cant decide which brand to get.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
Beretta Taco
Mescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant future

Firefighter: Come from a family of Army and Air Force
Name: Matt
Mescalero's Tacoma Gallery
I think think thread is going to go something like this...

BFG AT TA KOs, Goodyear Duratracs, Hankook Dynapros....
Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
You also forgot to mention Nitto TGs..
Old 06-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mescalero View Post
I think think thread is going to go something like this...

BFG AT TA KOs, Goodyear Duratracs, Hankook Dynapros....
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
You also forgot to mention Nitto TGs..

and also the search function

tirerack.com also has great information and comparisons between many available tires
Old 06-24-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/75-16 (32")

So far, they are awesome on highway (quiet, no loss in gas mileage), snow, mud, desert and beach sand...

I have also has Cooper Discoverer ATR and Toyo Open Country AT besides the BFG Rugged Trails on previous Tacomas. The Coopers and Toyos were very good... I am just extra pleased with the Hankooks.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
I have also has Cooper Discoverer ATR and Toyo Open Country AT besides the BFG Rugged Trails on previous Tacomas. The Coopers and Toyos were very good... I am just extra pleased with the Hankooks.
I like the Cooper Discoverer ATR's! Not quite as aggressive as some of the others but they have good road manners and handle snow very well! I may have to try those Hankook's David keeps raving about for my next set
Old 06-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
horwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shedhorwitzs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
horwitzs's Tacoma Gallery
I like the BFGs, Mickey Thompsons, and Duratracs, but have also heard great things about the Coopers.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
displaced viking living in new jersey
stunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shedstunt man hans is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: hans
stunt man hans's Tacoma Gallery
duratrac hands down. they are almost really good in the mud, quiet on the street, and literally unstoppable in the snow or ice this experience comes from me running them in well over 2 feet of snow for hours and hours this winter just because i could. i never took them on sand or any real rock climbing tests as the trails i do frequent don't contain that variety of terrain, but i don't think they will all of a sudden magically suck there in either of those situations either. the only thing i don't like is they do tend to wander a bit around town. now out on the highway this seems to correct itself a bit.

this is not due to a weak side at all as some might say actually the contrary the side wall of the tire is quite stiff and does not behave like a true off road tire when aired down, but rather due to all of the sipping. speaking of which the duratrac has more than any other tire i have ever seen short of a dedicated winter tire.

plus they wear like iron for suck an aggressive tire. hope this helps you cannot go wrong with this tire unless you really do serious off roading and plan on airing down to low pressures and expect the tire to wrap itself around rocks in the most effective way. plus they look pretty gnar for an all terrain and it's the only at thats rated for heavy duty commercial and winter use
Old 06-26-2011, 06:20 AM   #9
Big Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really niceBig Al 55 is just really nice
Big Al 55's Tacoma Gallery
thanks everybody for the advice ill ill have pictures up when i get new tires. the hankook dynapros are probably wat ill get
Old 06-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
^That's what I'm going with. I really wanted the Duratracs but I'm not spending $1000+ on tires. Was quoted $655 OTD for the Dynapro's.

On a side note, tires are freaking expensive compared to Feb. '08 when I bought my current Firestone Destination A/T's for $504 OTD. I was quoted $680 for the same tires the other day.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
Beretta Taco
Mescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant futureMescalero has a brilliant future

Firefighter: Come from a family of Army and Air Force
Name: Matt
Mescalero's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
^That's what I'm going with. I really wanted the Duratracs but I'm not spending $1000+ on tires. Was quoted $655 OTD for the Dynapro's.

On a side note, tires are freaking expensive compared to Feb. '08 when I bought my current Firestone Destination A/T's for $504 OTD. I was quoted $680 for the same tires the other day.
Yeah, the manufacturers raised all the prices in may/june...would be happy though to help yall get them close to cost if you'd like. Shoulda jumped in on our Hankook group buy last month .

Either way, let me know if i can help ya save some dough!