Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Looking for advice and experience on tires and wheels

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Treedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreedawg37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Barry
Treedawg37's Tacoma Gallery
Looking for advice and experience on tires and wheels

i have a 2011 tacoma dc 4x4 sr5 short bed. i will be putting a 3" toytec lift on next weekend. shopping for tires and wheels. i've always ran mud tires on my trucks. Tsl swampers, maxxis buckshots, and old gumbo mudders. not real familiar with the new brand of tires..I live in alabama where we have mud mud and more mud. where i hunt, ride and play is all alabama red clay!! mud tires a must. with that said i know mud tires get poor miles and not very good mpg. i love the noise so that not an issue. my questions are
1. what mud tire do you get best milage out of for those that run them? ( most important)
2. best handling?
3. best mpg?
4. 265/75/16 or 285/75/16? ( how much scrubbing with 285?)

now for wheels. do i need a off set wheel for the above truck and lift?

ive read thread after thread and for every positive on any tire there is 5 negitives and vis versa. thanks in advance for comments. gonna be pumping about $3800 inside and out on this mod and wanna do it right!
Old 08-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
AndrewPiering is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
AndrewPiering's Tacoma Gallery
Did you ever decide on what tires and wheels to go with? Got any pics of your rig with the lift?
Old 08-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my share of M/Ts since I've owned my first truck and KM2s by far are my favorite. Also with 3" lift, running 285/75/16 would be the better choice IMO. I rub, but barely since I've trimmed my inner fender plastic. KM2s have a lot of tread life with proper tire rotation.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
AndrewPiering is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
AndrewPiering's Tacoma Gallery
255? you dont want bigger? Id atleast go 265. And Krimson, sweet rig. What wheels are you running?
Old 08-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewPiering View Post
255? you dont want bigger? Id atleast go 265. And Krimson, sweet rig. What wheels are you running?
255/80/17 is a 33 1/4" tire

265/70/17 is a 31 1/2" tire

The first number ( 255 , 265 , 285 ) is width
Old 08-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #7
Banned
03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
03taco's Tacoma Gallery
bfg at ko best fuckin tire out there, i have run numerous different tires and nothing imho is better than these they are amazing offroad, they are quite on road,slightly agressive looking, great gas milage, and they last for a good bit as well as soon as my current tires die im going back to the bfg's as far as wheels your on you own

oops just red about the clay lol

still go bfg but go with the km1 series the km2s are garbage compared to the original kms, ran them on my jeep and got way more miles out of them than i thought i was going to and they are by far my favorite mud tire, if i go with a mt any time in the futur its a toss up between them and the new pit bulls
Old 08-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
plee33 will become famous soon enoughplee33 will become famous soon enough
Name: Peter
plee33's Tacoma Gallery
I currently have BFG KM2s (285/75/16). They're awesome tires. Though I haven't had much experience with them in snow, they performed very well in all other terrains. It does required you to trim a small piece of your front fender flares. I haven't noticed any rubbing issues during four wheeling. Road noise is not too bad. Do expect a lower MPG, but not too noticeable. You might want to consider a pair of upper control arms also. Others might oppose, but I'm considering to re-gear. I'm not sure what the specs are for the stock wheels, but my current aftermarket wheels have a back space of 4" and -12mm offset. Good luck with your build.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:36 AM   #9
nhgranite will become famous soon enoughnhgranite will become famous soon enough

nhgranite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03taco View Post
bfg at ko best fuckin tire out there,

think so? i've had them on two trucks and felt there ok. they clog easy and i've had trouble in loose fine sand. just my 2 cents. they were at one time the coolest thing going but now there's so many options out there. i'm going duratracks next time.