1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pinch weld: Notching?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by nvdeserted, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Jun 25, 2011 at 3:54 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Howdy,

? Thoughts on notching the pinch weld into 1" sections, then pounding/flattening it over?

Just threw on some 285's and now I'm deleting the 'rubspots'. My last bit is the lower 1/2 of the pinch weld at the lower rear of the well. My original plan was to just heat it up and pound it over to one side... unfortuantely, there is still alot of plastic around there I'd like to keep on, and heating it just doesn't seem to be as great an idea. That p-weld is beefy, just pounding on it cold is going to lead to an ugly product... after my preliminary experiment spot anyway...

So my new plan is to cut 3/4 deep on the p-weld every 2" and then flatten those 2" sections over. BUT, from my TW research, I've noticed that no one else went this route, any reason?

Also, if I go this route, I plan to clean and paint all the cuts to inhibit rusting (not a major concern here anyway).

Thoughts please.

thanks

2. Feb 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM
    IslandBoy86

IslandBoy86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas, NV
    Have you tried it yet? Results? Pics?

3. Feb 11, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.

Products Discussed in

To Top