Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Pinch weld: Notching?

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Pinch weld: Notching?

Howdy,

? Thoughts on notching the pinch weld into 1" sections, then pounding/flattening it over?

Just threw on some 285's and now I'm deleting the 'rubspots'. My last bit is the lower 1/2 of the pinch weld at the lower rear of the well. My original plan was to just heat it up and pound it over to one side... unfortuantely, there is still alot of plastic around there I'd like to keep on, and heating it just doesn't seem to be as great an idea. That p-weld is beefy, just pounding on it cold is going to lead to an ugly product... after my preliminary experiment spot anyway...

So my new plan is to cut 3/4 deep on the p-weld every 2" and then flatten those 2" sections over. BUT, from my TW research, I've noticed that no one else went this route, any reason?

Also, if I go this route, I plan to clean and paint all the cuts to inhibit rusting (not a major concern here anyway).

Thoughts please.

thanks
Old 02-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
IslandBoy86 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: 757 AMXS
IslandBoy86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdeserted View Post
Howdy,

? Thoughts on notching the pinch weld into 1" sections, then pounding/flattening it over?

Just threw on some 285's and now I'm deleting the 'rubspots'. My last bit is the lower 1/2 of the pinch weld at the lower rear of the well. My original plan was to just heat it up and pound it over to one side... unfortuantely, there is still alot of plastic around there I'd like to keep on, and heating it just doesn't seem to be as great an idea. That p-weld is beefy, just pounding on it cold is going to lead to an ugly product... after my preliminary experiment spot anyway...

So my new plan is to cut 3/4 deep on the p-weld every 2" and then flatten those 2" sections over. BUT, from my TW research, I've noticed that no one else went this route, any reason?

Also, if I go this route, I plan to clean and paint all the cuts to inhibit rusting (not a major concern here anyway).

Thoughts please.

thanks
Have you tried it yet? Results? Pics?
Old 02-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I did. Worked well too. Check out this link,I have a few pictures about 1/2 down.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...xperiment.html

Currently my truck is still at that stage in the pictures. I could probably leave it like that forever, but sometime this year I'm going to sandblast that area and coat it with black polyurea.