Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Wheels & Tires

Notices

Wheels - local vs internet

* Tire Finding Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
I bought just the wheels online wish i would have searched at my local shops wouldnt have had to pay shipping tires were bought locally.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #4
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Wilkerson View Post
Do most people go with the 10" width on wheels or 8? Is there much of a difference other than making the rubber bulg out more?

And the Toyota 4x4 TRD OR is a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern, right?
Yes. not to sure on the width though.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
I've bought all my truck and car tires online since 02'. You get select exactly what you want, and usually a bit cheaper. Have got tires alone, (then need to be mounted locally) and full winter rim and tire packages already mounted/balanced, then bolt on myself in the garage.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
Pootz is on a distinguished road
Pootz's Tacoma Gallery
Just wanted to revive this thread after doing some searching. I was unable to find my answer so far so hoping someone can help out.

Has anyone from Canada ordered over the internet from the US? Are there any duties that apply to wheels and/or tires? How do prices compare after conversion, delivery charges, etc.?
Old 02-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
Mall Cruiser Pilot
SuperD is a jewel in the roughSuperD is a jewel in the roughSuperD is a jewel in the roughSuperD is a jewel in the rough

SuperD's Tacoma Gallery
I searched high and low trying to find wheels and tires that I wanted, and ones that would fit. I compared tire prices on the net to local places, like Discount tire. Local was always higher. I ended up ordering my tires from tirerack. Once I figured out EXACTLY what wheel I wanted and got prices off of the net, I let the local 4x4 shop guy see what he could do for the same wheel. His prices were $40 higher, per wheel and that didn't even include lugs. Lugs were included in the better price on the net. I ended up ordering my wheels from wheelsforless.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #8
lonewulf001 is on a distinguished road

Army: Signal Corps SSG
lonewulf001's Tacoma Gallery
My experience was horrible with online. It may be cheaper, but buying in your local area is alot easier and you have less unknowns. What if you have to send your online bought wheels back? Or what if they forget to send you something or the wrong thing? No, local is the way to go so you don't have issues like that.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootz View Post
Just wanted to revive this thread after doing some searching. I was unable to find my answer so far so hoping someone can help out.

Has anyone from Canada ordered over the internet from the US? Are there any duties that apply to wheels and/or tires? How do prices compare after conversion, delivery charges, etc.?
Check out http://www.tiretrends.com/ 100% Canadian owned. I think there warehouse is in the greater Vancouver area!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
Im so hungry i can ride a horse...
kmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmrofka is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
kmrofka's Tacoma Gallery
you have a couple options.

one have everything ordered and shipped to you balanced and ready to go.

two buy the rims online and take them to a tire shop.

three buy everything locally

or buy the rims locally and order tires on line.

what i did was i bought my rims online and then purchased tires locally came out to about the same price but i got warrenties on my tires that you cant get online
Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
6 Double 5 3 2 1
thebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shedthebigk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ken....
thebigk's Tacoma Gallery
But when you have them mounted & balanced online.......what do you do with the TPMS? I figure purchase online.....have a local shop mount, do the TPMS change over, & balance.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
cfenn will become famous soon enough
cfenn's Tacoma Gallery
find the best deal online and go to Discount Tire with it. They will beat it and they know how to balance tires which is a plus. They can get just abut anything even if it is not a regular item they stock. I SHOULD have done this but got mine from 4wp and it was a total cluster fuck. I am running 17X8's
Old 02-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #14
cmfranks is a glorious beacon of lightcmfranks is a glorious beacon of lightcmfranks is a glorious beacon of lightcmfranks is a glorious beacon of lightcmfranks is a glorious beacon of lightcmfranks is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Craig
cmfranks's Tacoma Gallery
longhorn,

check everywhere on internet for wheels that you like. then go to discount tire. they will/can order any wheel that you want and will price beat anything out there along w/ the shipping.

as far as width, 4wp's reccommends nothing more than a 9 in width. But they are dumbshits anyway. i have a 6 in lift and my 18x10's fit w/o a problem.

I will try to get pics up today, if i'm not to lazy to get out there and wash the truck